Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

Comments

• ryebreadryebread Posts: 3,058PFN Referee

Sniff.. That's the end of an era.

• TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 3,625PFN Referee

Dave needs to get on the horn and see if he wants a coaching gig here.. make a place for him in the program. Doubt he'd move back to NC though.. but we got to TRY!

Hall of fame career in the NFL and sad to see it end.

• RickRick Posts: 3,171PFN Referee

Too bad he got stuck on the NFL equivalent of NCSU. Poorly run organization that is unable to win a championship.

• SamIamSamIam Posts: 755

Lol, Big Phil is an absolute legend, what a d*ck slap in his face to consider him working under our current ass clown head football coach. Phillip Rivers with his passion and fire would be an immediate atomic bomb of an upgrade on all levels. Think about the freaking coaching staff he could assemble, think of the freaking recruits!!!! Mack Brown would be an after thought...

but,

Not now nor ever will it happen.

• jppackattackjppackattack Posts: 1,098

1st ballot HOF'er? Anyone think the Dolts will hand back the keys to Jacoby or try free agency or a reach draft pick?

• TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 3,625PFN Referee

lol I think he's got to get his feet wet first before stepping into a head spot of an ACC school. He's the kind of guy who will probably end up coaching his kid's high school team though.

• AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 4,179

Give it a rest. Lowe had 23 years under his belt in the Pros before we hired him...

I agree with Roo.

PRiv already has his next gig. He's coaching his son(s) in high school football.

• 1984Met1984Met Posts: 1,151
    edited January 21

One of my favorite players ever, college or pro. Definitely one of my favorite NC State players.

I liked both Dan Marino and Philip Rivers. Both were winners but could not reach (PR) or win (DM) the Super Bowl.

• 1984Met1984Met Posts: 1,151
    edited January 21

Here are some Philip Rivers' highlights starting about 12:16. He was amazing!

The video has him number 2 on their list of top ten NC State football players:

1. Torry Holt
    2. Philip Rivers
    3. Ted Brown
    4. Mario Williams
    5. Bradley Chubb
    6. Roman Gabriel
    7. Russell Wilson
    8. David Amerson
    9. Nate Irving
    10. Jaylen Samuels
  • choppack1choppack1 Posts: 2,682

This guy had amazing passion. This is a speech he gave to the 2016 team....I tell you, it’s incredibly motivating.

https://twitter.com/RCorySmith/status/1351947420654047234

I really would like to attend his HOF induction ceremony... maybe it will work out

As a Phins fan, those are my two favorite players and their career arcs were eerily similar. Both were held back by the poor franchises that they played for.

• KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 4,931PFN Referee

God bless and keep the entire Rivers family. Good on him for not waiting "a year too long."

All the pipe dreams aside I love this guy. Absolute class act but talks pure shit without saying words like I just did. He is a passionate motivator and a true family man. I mean what other potential hall of fame athlete has his path paved to coach his kids in high school years before his retirement. Yes he is coaching high school, the jobs been waiting on him for years.

Just as passionate about the game of football as Peyton or Brady, but unlike the latter, what makes him tick isn't the self absorbed narcissist motivation to prove he's better than everyone else.

• KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 4,931PFN Referee

Plus, in an era of "cookie cutter" personas, his delightful weirdness was just...delightful! I bet he enjoyed all of his myriad memes, too.

He strikes me as a high school coach, who will enjoy that level and being back home in Alabama. Unless he decides he wants to be Governor or something LOL.

• GreywolfGreywolf Posts: 698

Philip Rivers is the kind of man who would fit right in with our current ass clown head football coach and staff.

• HighstickHighstick Posts: 450PFN Referee

With that "sidearm motion"😄, he'll never make it in the NFL! 🤑

edited January 23

My best Rivers memory was not anything he did on the field, any press conference or anything he did related to football. It’s when I ran into him at the state fair with his wife and first child. He was pushing the stroller with the ubiquitous daddy back pack on his back, making faces and laughing with his small child. I saw more joy in that moment out of him than anything ever related to football.

Even at a young age, Rivers had his priorities right....

• GreywolfGreywolf Posts: 698

Right on, Rye. Excellent post.

?????? no, no he wouldn't, not at all, not one bit annnnddddd, Dave is an ass clown. Just my opinion. Shitty with the fans, shitty with the media and shitty with the coaching but some of us are apparently happy so cool!

Without a single day of coaching experience he'd be an immediate upgrade and you'd see quick UNC type results. Very non ass clownish

• choppack1choppack1 Posts: 2,682

Great post Rye.

If you want to see what Rivers is all about, look at the clip when he is taking the job this summer as a football coach. Here’s a guy who has been a starting NFL qb for (at the time) 16 years, with more money than you could want, and he’s tearing up about the job at a catholic school in Alabama.

• whitefangwhitefang Posts: 214

One memory I have of Rivers was his senior year I believe. Maybe right after before the draft. One of the sports shows, probably ESPN, was doing a segment on him. Rivers was sitting in front of a big screen, and they were flashing pictures of different defensive formations on the screen. He was reading them and calling plays as fast as they could flash them. It was frankly amazing.