Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

MLB 2020 Thread

TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 2,765PFN Referee
Get this thread going while the season lasts since they are already threatening to cancel the season.

Not a fan of the new rules for this shortened year.  Universal DH.  Extra innings begin with a runner on 2nd base.  7 inning games for double headers?  More than half the league makes the playoffs.  Boooooooooooo.

Vegas likes the Dodgers to win it all in the 2020 Year of the Covid.

Comments

• 1984Met1984Met Posts: 628
    Think the Dodgers won it in '81 in a shortened season.
    Agree with you on the rules. Think they should shorten time between innings to save on time. But that would bite into the bottem line.
  • AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 2,793
    Maybe they should do a Bull Durham and the Pitcher has to draw the pitch from a random device. Then they flash the sign or the pitch on the Jumbotron.  The batter wears an earpiece.  The pitch is called to him.  Then 5 seconds later, the Ump’s Beanie lights up.  GREEN flashing and rotating LED.  Then the pitcher is allowed to throw the pitch.... But must do it within 5 seconds...otherwise it is a BALL!

Sheesh.  We need bikini clad bat girls...and if it goes to extra innings, they have to pop their tops.  If it goes past 14, their thongs are next.  

That will get an audience for TV...
  • Pack78Pack78 Posts: 437
    Think ya got Sturgis from the other thread on the brain...
  • AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 2,793
    At my age....getting such, even on my brain....much less other parts...is a major accomplishment 

• turkeydanceturkeydance Posts: 136
    it's over.

• 44rules44rules Posts: 447
    Dansby might be turning into a player for the Bravos ... if he doesn't get hurt again.
  • I’ll be damned.  How about those Bills?
  • KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 3,806PFN Referee
    Hey, aren't the Blue Jays technically the Dirt Bills for 2020?
  • Yes, the Blue Jays are.
  • SamIamSamIam Posts: 507
    eff everything mlb after being forced to see players jerseys with what is all but a domestic terrorist organization logo ON THE DAMN JERSEYS and field.  BLM takes in millions yearly yet does absolute shit for the urban communities riddled with violent minority v minority crimes which is absolutely where Black Lives SHOULD Matter.  Black children are killed daily across the us in violent crimes.  I'm still waiting to see one of these children's names on the back of Lebron's jerseys in memorandum.  
  • PackPACPackPAC Posts: 396
    I'm totally with you Sam!!  I will not be watching the NFL, MLB or NBA as long as they are supporting BLM.  I hope lots of people tune out the pro sports.  I also hope DD and KK tone it down too as I don't want to miss out on my Wolfpack but I will if I have to.
  • A few years ago I actually went through the BLMs detailed list of demands so I understand the difference between the organization and the movement.

I don't think many in the media or any politicians want to highlight that fact. A number of things   they list as demands are non starters for me.

However, if athletes want to use their voices for that cause, I understand.  I may not always like it or even appreciate it as it can damper my entertainment value.

Unfortunately, expecting them to tone it down when they are supporting the movement and not explicitly the organization, only exacerbates the real or perceived divide.
  • I'd just urge folks to distinguish between the formal BLM organization which is pretty concentrated and has relatively few chapters, and the less formal and symbolic movement which sometimes sporadically spouts up with signs, protests, marches...The latter more times than not has no direct relationship with the organization, other than a use of its symbolic messaging and slogan. So while the overarching goal may be aligned, the organization and the public events are often not affiliated formally at all
    Yes, it's just the slogan that's meaningful.  To most of us.  And the players (at least NFL) look like they ARE taking ownership, more community work (including police outreach) and positive stuff.

The NFL almost never handles anything right, but I think they are doing a good job right now.

The "Association" is just pro rasslin' with a...different target demographic.  I don't know or care what they do.
  • I'd just urge folks to distinguish between the formal BLM organization which is pretty concentrated and has relatively few chapters, and the less formal and symbolic movement which sometimes sporadically spouts up with signs, protests, marches...The latter more times than not has no direct relationship with the organization, other than a use of its symbolic messaging and slogan. So while the overarching goal may be aligned, the organization and the public events are often not affiliated formally at all
    If I show up wearing light blue and UNC at a game, am I supporting them even if I don’t know they lie and cheat, am I supporting the cause?
  • 44rules44rules Posts: 447
    Braves division champs again. Chop on.
  • TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 2,765PFN Referee
    44rules said:
    Braves division champs again. Chop on.

wow, I had totally spaced out on baseball.. haven't checked the standings or anything since about 2 weeks since the season began.  Maybe will watch some playoff baseball.  Maybe.
    Not me, the 60-game "season" is absurd on its face. I tuned out after the 2nd #NuAIDS outbreak, and I won't even watch #BFIB playoff games.

Wake me for ST 2021.
    I agree about mlb. Between the pontificating about cheating by teams in big markets - who may have been cheating themselves (NYY?), and a sixty game schedule, I am just not into it this year.  Throw into that crazy rule changes and they may lose me next year too.
  • Baseball was my favorite sport growing up and I even played the original fantasy sports game, strat-o-matic (look that up), manually keeping season stats.  Love the O's teams in the 70's.

However, I think the season length topic would make a great statistical debate topic (tradition notwithstanding)

With such specialty roles now and the collection of endless individual statistics to drive pitch-by-pitch strategy, my gut feeling is that less than 162 games (120?) would in effect get you the same results over time.

60 is not enough in my mind, but 162 is too much.

It will never happen, but I would be open to seeing them reshuffle teams to be more geographically aligned to significantly reduce travel time, costs, wear and tear.
    I still play DMB religiously (which is very similar to Strat-o-matic), been in a league for 30+ years now.
    My other MLB beef is the division size.  I'd be cool with 32 teams, but 4 8-team divisions.  Division winners get first round bye, so the "pennant" means something again.
  • My other MLB beef is the division size.  I'd be cool with 32 teams, but 4 8-team divisions.  Division winners get first round bye, so the "pennant" means something again.
    Now that's what I call old school.  Count me in!

Took a look at DMB.  Very cool!
    GSO (or others) - there are openings in this League, if interested!

http://locrasto.com/pfblb/