Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

State Releases NCAA Notice of Allegations

Comments

• KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 2,818PFN Referee

And DSJ could have talked because he was pissed we didn't let him out when we got outbid for Bam. Not bad enough that his unhappiness torpedoed the season.

Yow deserves shit for (i) putting us in this position knowing we aren't "Most Favoured Nation" (and neither Lowe nor Gott was particularly subtle at "the game"); and (ii) thinking being quiet about the Holes would somehow insulate us.

Those who quietly take it will continue to receive it.

• AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 1,798

Funny you should make the Women's BB reference. I RARELY watch videos and such. BUT, this one piqued my interest. This is the RAW (not the 90 second version) of Sylvia Hatchell's interview at the end of her "Summer Camps" at UNC.....which the UNIVERSITY wanted to happen....not her.

A bit long....so if you had one of the Attention Disorders (which I probably do but never had time to have it diagnosed), then take your meds (THAT WAS A JOKE....She has quit making jokes) and watch it.

I always like her....despite being a UNC HOF Coach. She is down to earth and honest....and from the Piedmont, like I am....and has a more pronounced accent.

Really classy lady. She OUGHT to feel some relief.....as she is purging the UNX Fecal Matter, slowly, out of her system. Loved the line about repainting one of her BLUE houses....

Whatever comes of OUR situation is way beyond our control. It is way beyond Dr. Woodson's. It is in the hands of the LEGAL TEAM. All I can say, for those who used to watch (and we have completed season 3 - 68 episodes on Prime and will get through 101 by Aug 1) Boston Legal....we should hope for an Alan Shore.....with Pictures.

ENJOY.....

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/web-extra-hatchell-gravley-full-raw-interview/18504803/

• ryebreadryebread Posts: 1,273PFN Referee

Amen BJD. People act like Yow didn’t know. I don’t buy it.

• choppack1choppack1 Posts: 786

This is true. It stinks. Yow did a lot of good things, but hiring Gott was soooooo stupid.

Chop: I agree. Yow gets an A for 90% of her job at NC State. She gets an F for the handling of men’s basketball. The lone bright spots will be KK (which doesn’t really look like her decision) and some disassociation paper work (which also tells you she knew).

What’s sad is that even with the mismanagement of our crown jewel, she is still by far the best AD we’ve had in 30 years. That’s a sobering thought.

• choppack1choppack1 Posts: 786

Oh yeah Rye. She actually did a really good job overall. But (and I know we are in agreement here) the AD job at a P5 school is essentially 3 grades.

1. How did you handle the football program.
    2. How did you handle the basketball program.
    3. How did you handle everything else.

Some schools are lucky enough that it’s hard to screw up 2 of those 3. Some schools are unfortunate enough where they have to work hard to succeed in all 3...Our AD job falls into that category. Funny thing is, you find great coaches, the job gets a lot easier. Yow didn’t make her job any easier in items 1 and 2. Both look good now, and if Boo can get through this stuff, his job may be a relative cakewalk - thanks to Yow’s hires.

chop: I agree. Once Boo navigates the NCAA storm, he's set up fairly well -- assuming the financials all look good. I've been assured they do, but I don't know personally. Yow left items #1 and #3 clearly better than where she found them (and #3 is the best it has been in my memory).

• turkeydanceturkeydance Posts: 78

will DSJ become this millennium's Washburn?

One can only hope. If he needs motivation, I will provide names of folks that will definitely lead down the road to degradation

The plot thickens. Boo is signed up for the long haul

NC State AD Boo Corrigan’s contract contains a unique extension tied to NCAA probe

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article232608182.html

• RickRick Posts: 1,595PFN Referee

So Boo has incentives to ensure we get punished?

That doesn't seem smart. Why would he fight this? He makes more money if we get nailed.

• freshmanin83freshmanin83 Posts: 1,093PFN Referee

Or an indication that he thought NCSU was going to get violated and probably violated well and he wanted job security and did not want to be a scapegoat. He made sure that he would have time to right the ship before his next gig. Got to have time to mange your reputation.

• Fastback68Fastback68 Posts: 565

I think Yow has mange. JK

So Boo is making 7 figure coin. He is going to earn it.

So State self reports minor infractions for 6 years and buries the NCAA with volumes of new compliance policies and procedural manuals in order to grind them down. State knocks unx from the #1 internal control spot. Works for me.

While this is the likely reason, it brings two thoughts to mind

1) he believes we are going to get hammered. Not good

2) like I said he has a monetary reason not to fight the NCAA.

• WulfpackWulfpack Posts: 1,570

Clear indication they knew what was coming. Which isn’t good.

And knowing what WE now know....which is public knowledge, it would have taken an complete and inept bunch of AD Admin and "University" Admin to think that there would NOT be NOV or NOA or KOA or whatever they call them...

BUT, in the olden days of CB's and such, there WERE several LEO's that would take great pleasure in pulling over "Convoy's" to make their point. MY POINT...

We are in a CONVOY. We are NOT the biggest fish in this pond. There are 5 (or maybe a few more once all the plea bargaining and ratting has been completed) OTHER fish. Coaches have been fired. Coaches have been indicted. Coaches have had their "Severance" cut off (the only worse punishment for GOTT would have been to have certain parts of his anatomy severed or restrained). SO...the NCAA is gonna really HAVE to take this thing nuclear....and if they do....then the NIKE Scam will start to have more "Credibility".

We have taken the first steps. We have played it very nicely from the beginning in that we cut off GOTT and we also "SUED" for being stupid. We have also hired the best and sleaziest shysters we can find....

NO sense in getting the BP up and kicking the stress level up and having to go on Zoloft UNTIL we see more how this drama ends....

• freshmanin83freshmanin83 Posts: 1,093PFN Referee

It will be interesting to see how all of this plays out. Maybe they should have included in Boo's contract an extra clause that says he gets x amount of money if NCSU skates on all charges?

If I am reading correctly I am surprised that the Pack is not going to face any level 1 charges. That is what I was expecting. I don't know what sanctions the level 2's are going to bring but was something worked out that it might not be that much for keeping our traps shut about unx? We get a pass on the level 1's and a light slap on the wrist for the level 2's.

Forfeit the season, a fine, and a few days less recruiting? It will also be intriguing to see what the rest of the convoy gets.

• turkeydanceturkeydance Posts: 78

"was something worked out that it might not be that much for keeping our traps shut about unx?"

we would not get the death penalty?

• 1984Met1984Met Posts: 132

Ugh! Whenever State starts "inching" up the ladder of success in basketball, something crops up.

Wonder if the NCAA would consider the fact that we fired the problem coach?

• KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 2,818PFN Referee

One of the "old clubhouse" co-founders was in text with me on other matters, and at the end told me "Pack is fucked." He has courthouse connections, so he deffo catches wind of almost all scuttlebutt.

BJD: Hmmm.. Don’t like the sound of that. NC State will pay for UNC’s transgressions.

• GsoPackBackerGsoPackBacker Posts: 539

One man's uniformed opinion. If we just lay down, they will hit us harder than we think.

If we fight them, we have a chance, but we have to fight like UNC did.

The difference in determining whether that is the proper play is how much time, money, and angst we are ok with.

Miami pissed off those folks at the NCAA and so did UNC. Are we closer to Miami or UNC?

Logic says take your licking and move on. I say get your smartest people together in a room and figure out if a strategy exists (alone or joined with the other school in this fiasco) that allows you walk away relatively unscathed as the holes did.

Time will tell, but I have managed expectations to a relative low point on this subject.

I actually share this opinion but I did want to follow up with a question. How would a courthouse person have any insight into the inner workings of the NCAA?

GSO: I'm not convinced the NCAA was upset at UNC at all. I don't think the NCAA wanted to punish them at all. If anything the NCAA was giving UNC any and all chances to "get out of jail" including limited the scope to academics only, and then effectively ignoring that SACS had concerns as well. It as almost like the NCAA and UNC worked together to co-craft the defense in such a way that UNC skated.

If the NCAA were upset at UNC, it was only that things were so blatant and ugly that it stayed in the press that long. If the NCAA is the Country Club Member's Counsel (an analogy I have seen), they briefly were looking at UNC like Al Cverik.

UNC is a cash cow and that brings in a bunch of money to the NCAA (they're routinely top 3 in apparel licensing, as well as NCAA basketball tournament darlings) and is paired up with one of their huge sponsors (Nike) and corporate partners (ESPN). UNC had the ACC's conference commissioner acting on their behalf. There was no way the NCAA was going to hit them.

NC State on the other hand hasn't won anything meaningful in 30+ years. We're paired with Adidas. We rarely make it out of the first weekend of the tournament, and don't spend regular season time in the top 25. NC State isn't needed for a key rivalry for TV (UNC/Duke is tops in college basketball for ESPN and has been for 20 years). The Swof isn't lifting a finger to help NC State. I'm not saying we're going to get hammered, but I will say that NC State is a very easy and expendable target.