Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

UNC Is a Cesspool

Pack78Pack78 Posts: 224

The lying and cheating over there are part of the culture extending well beyond just athletics...they are damaging people's lives:

https://www.newsobserver.com/opinion/article230986118.html

Comments

• SamIamSamIam Posts: 204

Oh wait, this in no way incriminates any athletic program? Oh yes, this is horrible. Something must be done.

• RickRick Posts: 1,315PFN Referee

Does anyone dispute that fact at this point? They lost any integrity when they sold their soul to the athletic devil.

• AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 1,465

guys

this is unbelievable. You may NOT agree with the content of Drudge. But the link there is to the NYT article. I read it. UnF@&$Beleivable

Well done and damning. For me to compliment the NYT investigation is a once in a lifetime event

they did their homework

you can probably google. It is long, even by Roo standards. I did not listen to all the tapes

Little Miss Blue Smurfette has blood on her hands

an abomination to say the least

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/05/30/us/children-heart-surgery-cardiac.html

• Pack78Pack78 Posts: 224

Many of the same duck-and-cover(up) processes that we all saw during the athletic 'reviews'-this is life and death...hope that the NYT does not let go...

DW had a spot on comment.

Chi Chi Folt had MORE pressing matters to deal with....

UNC Academic STINK

How to remove a statue that she did not want on her lawn.

Only so much time and mental energy.....so she had her priorities. Matters not that children, infants and babies DIED. These were the ones ALIVE and went into LOW risk surgeries. Matters NOT that a surgeon was TOO BUSY to show up for a Heart Transplant procedures...and it eventually got done, with a different heart, at Duke.

There needs to be a major house cleaning, but I doubt it will happen...

• TexpackTexpack Posts: 1,293

How will this impact recruiting? That’s the only question they’re asking in Orange County.

What flavor?

Poly Sci Activists

Athletes

Lawyers

Medical School Doctors

Surgeons

Research Grants?.

I have an Allergist who is part of the UNC Faculty. She left for a nice promotion. Will give the new Doctor benefit of the doubt. Have a friend that has had BP issues and I mean BIG TIME that has finally been diagnosed with Lymphoma. Her kidneys are on overload and there is a protein build up that greatly impacts her BP. Life threatening spike and she carries a BOMB pill to zap it. Pill is dangerous, but works. The UNC Med school finally took all of her former physicians notes and info and found the Lymphoma. Now tracing it to the specific organ with the cancer. She also had a very risky lump, benign, removed from her Pancreas. Pancreatic surgery is a rare and special skill that UNC (10 years ago) was noted as being in the top 5

Pity that the coverup and incomprehensible incompetence of Carol Folt allowed the surgery department to deteriorate. Where is the Governor and the NCGA’s OUTRAGE and tweets for a witch hunt?

• OldMan94OldMan94 Posts: 28

My youngest daughter, at the time 15-months old, spent 6 weeks at the UNC Children’s Hospital over the Holidays in ‘07 on the 4th floor. Luckily, she fully recovered from her illness and is a normal 12 year old today. I believe the care from the staff of that hospital and the good Lord are the two reasons she made that recovery.

The doctors, students and staff we dealt with there were outstanding and genuinely cared for our daughter while supporting my wife and I through a terrifying time. Even being longtime UNC haters, our experience makes this story seem almost unbelievable. In fact, when I shared it with my wife that was her immediate response.

This being said, it sickens me as to how any doctor or administrator could ever behave in this manner. Especially with regard to a child trusted to their care. I feel for the parents, siblings and, of course, the children affected. I cannot think of a bad enough fate to wish upon those at UNC that are/were involved.

edited June 2

Totally agree. The bulk of the UNC medical community are highly motivated professionals. If you read the article about how UNC is paying 54 MILLION as an out of court settlement due to their “UNDERHANDED” poaching and recruitment practices, I THINK it is safe to say where the problem is.

The tepid response from the Governor and the NCGA says a lot. Dr. Roper, current interim President of the UNC Board of Governors was the HEAD of UNC Medicine when this started to occur.

UNC’s NOT releasing morbidity or mortality records and being sued under FIOA is more than telling.

Move along....nothing to see here....

• GowolvesGowolves Posts: 284

To be fair Duke and one of other children’s hospital only received two stars for their work. This is not that much better than UNC. Are we not getting the best possible med students? I think the cost to go to med school has severely limited the amount of quality candidates. I think this has been the case though for years. Maybe its getting more dire.

• RickRick Posts: 1,315PFN Referee

That is an interesting thought gowolves. The cost is limiting the pool of candidates so we get only rich kids....

• GowolvesGowolves Posts: 284

I think anytime you limit your resource pool it’s bound have some affect. Whether it’s financial or something else. Not advocating free education but the cost of a medical degree much less any degree is outrageous. Don’t have the answer but the kids that leaving college with massive debt is draining on the economy. I just paid 30k of student debt for my accounting degree. It took me 15 years. That’s on low end.

Thanks to the college administrators, the cost of a degree has drastically outpaced inflation

in the mid 60’s, a 4 yr NCSU BS was less than $6K. My 1963 total cost was estimated at $1,200 for the year

a fully loaded Impala had an MSRP of $3,200 and a Vette was under $4K

same Vette is close to $80k now. NCSU 4 yr is probably $150 or maybe $160 REAL

As long as the Student Loans are supported by Government, the colleges and universities will jack up prices based on demand

• KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 2,135PFN Referee

Agree with the shock. I have had only overwhelmingly positive results with UNC Hospitals. Had to use children's department multiple times (everyone was great), and a world-renowed surgeon and his team spent the whole morning examining talking to my Dad, even though everyone knew going in it was 99.9% hopeless (pancreatic cancer).

• 44rules44rules Posts: 263

Roo, out of state in the 1980s total costs at State were about $20k for a 4-year degree.

• wirogerswirogers Posts: 50

As they say, if you are sick go to your doctor (UNC ECU grad) if you are really sick and almost dead, go to your Vet (NCSU Grad). Just saying!!1

• TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 1,529PFN Referee
    edited June 3

It's supply and demand.. universities keep raising the price and people keep paying it. It's drilled into kids these days that college is the only option. At some point it makes more sense financially in the long run to just get a trade job. We're may already be really close to that point.

Definitely over-priced though considering we now have a framework (the internet) to deliver FREE college education. Hopefully when my little one gets to that age there will have been some kind of accepted paradigm shift towards a more cheaper and efficient delivery of college level education.

Debt financing has driven the cost of college education up very rapidly. There was a really good opinion piece in the WSJ this past week that detailed the accelerated rate of administrator hiring that was fueled by debt financing of tuition.

• GsoPackBackerGsoPackBacker Posts: 361

Texpack, I have seen some research on that and it's a bit eye-opening. Not sure how one looks at that data and thinks pursuing the current path makes the most sense.

My kids didn't think 4 years of parent-paid education was a big deal until I suggested that they ask their friends about their situation. Of course, my son decided upon law school, but that's on his dime. He's a hard worker, and paying his own way has done nothing but improve that.

I have been dying for my non-college kid (I can accept that) to learn a trade. As a woman with small hands, she'd be extremely valuable as a pipe-fitter, for example (my little brother's great idea).

Get her to learn to be a chemical plant operator. She can make 6 figures pretty easily doing that.

My kids both figured out, and even admitted as much, that the trinkets and upscale BS that we eschewed when they were little was how we paid for their college. They fully appreciate their student loan free status as young adults. Score one for the old fart ways!

Having just seen Chernobyl, I worry a bit about her blowing up a mid-sized city somewhere!

Sort of like my late FIL’s career advice to my oldest BIL, a eventual State Grad with the same illustrious degree that I cherish.....

Son, I love you dearly. You are a bright and intelligent individual. You have been a wonderful son and never brought shame to the family and the community adores and admires you. Do NOT go to UNC and become a pharmacist. You are too scatter brained and you will eventually make a careless mistake and kill someone. You will not be able to forgive yourself. Let’s talk about another career option.

Is THAT what you mean, King? That, for all my a ability to enhance and embellish is pretty much the gist of a Sunday dinner conversation.....

Truth and life are often stranger than what any novelist can conjure up....

ha, yes indeed!