Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

2019 MLB Thread

TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 1,854PFN Referee
Opening day today!

Comments

• WulfpackWulfpack Posts: 1,437
    Go Bravos!
  • GsoPackBackerGsoPackBacker Posts: 503
    Nothing like being an O's fan working with family whom are both Yankee fans. 

I can only hope the O's don't end up being as bad as predicted.   :| 
  • KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 2,652PFN Referee
    FUCKING LORENZO CAIN
  • TexpackTexpack Posts: 1,597
    Astros with three HR's off of the reigning Cy Young.  Good start
  • RadmanRadman Posts: 21
    Tough start for the Braves.
    Braves pitching stinky. 

Braves look to be pretty average thus far. Bright future though. M’s and Rays with the surprising starts. BoSox the other direction.

My kid and his best friend from UH are sitting on the front row of the Crawford Boxes (LF) courtesy of one of the umpires. Kid’s friend works at one of the hotels downtown. Umps are human too I suppose.

• turkeydanceturkeydance Posts: 77

2018 Braves won lots of close games in the late innings. not so far in 2019.

• 1984Met1984Met Posts: 128

I went there with my wife and son back when the stadium first opened. After seeing some of the then Astros best hitters come up, I was beginning to wish I had brought along my glove! It looks very close to the batters as compared to right or center field.

A post script on the new system. Spell check tried to say that "center" should have been spelled as the British "centre".

Meant to say, I and the family were sitting in the Crawford boxes.

All in all, Minute Maid Park is a nice place to watch a ball game.

• TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 1,854PFN Referee

April baseball.. they all just getting warmed up.

my #BFIB look really good! Fun to watch.

BFIB? Well I didn't know you were a cubs fan!

😆

LMAO. Plus #BFIB is OUR word - y'all other peoples can't be using it or it's a slur!

Wow, already at the all-star break. Season is flying by this year. Dodgers looking like the team to beat at the halfway point. I'll be rooting for Cubbies, but it's always nice to see Bravos leading the East.

edited August 1

Astros get Zack Greinke. Should I just close this thread now? I think it's pretty safe to say we can go ahead and "crown their ass".

The Astros are 1 for 2 on these moves. In 1998 they went out and got Randy Johnson who went 10-1 with a 1.29 era for them after the trade and were promptly tied up in knots in the playoffs by Sterling Hitchcock and the San Diego Padres. The 2017 trade for Kate Upton's husband worked out much better.

Only time will tell if we are dealing with 1998 or 2017. The Astros lineup is stacked. Gurriel just hit .406 for the month of July with 12 HR and 39 RBI and he has been moved to the 7th spot in the batting order. They are clearly the favorites to win the AL. In a series where the DH isn't used for 4 of the 7 games, the Dodgers close the gap in firepower significantly and it's a lot tougher to declare the Astros a clear favorite. If the Astros could somehow get home field in the WS I'd like their chances a lot more.

In any event it looks like I need to stock up on Tums for another baseball postseason.

Yeah Dodgers vs. Astros will be the World Series for 2019. Mark it, dude.

• GsoPackBackerGsoPackBacker Posts: 503

As a believer that great pitching beats great hitting, hard not to think the Astros are in the Series. Even the two diehard Yankee fans here in the office feel the same.

As an Orioles fan, I know how to ignore reality and hang desperately onto hope. Well, at least for the first week of the season. :)

Hopefully, it'll make for some fun baseball.

I became an Astros fan while living in League City, Texas for almost 25 years. Baseball tickets to the Astro Dome in the late 1990s were $5 in the upper deck. It was fun and inexpensive entertainment. I really like their current team and manager. Think they could win it all again this year. Too bad it's difficult to buy tickets to the playoffs and WS -- couldn't afford those afford those $1000 tickets in the upper deck in the 2017 WS!

I was an Orioles fan in the 1970s and 1980s. It has been difficult following them since we moved back to NC two years ago. Seems to me they are trying to become the St Louis Browns of old instead of the Orioles of the 1970s and early 1980s. It's time to turn things around in Baltimore!

• 44rules44rules Posts: 321

Well, I think the 3 added bullpen pieces give the Braves a puncher's chance in the NL against the Cubs and even the Dodgers. Just have to luck up that one our hot streaks hits one of their cold streaks.

I was lucky enough to sit on the front row behind the Astros dugout for Game 7 of the ALCS in 2017. It was louder than Reynolds. My kid bought an upper deck ticket behind the right field foul pole but he came down behind the dugout for the post game. It was a fantastic evening.

I love living in League City.

• 44rules44rules Posts: 321

So other than the NASA space launch place and an art museum, what is there to do in Houston? I'm going to be there a few days in September. NASA and art are definitely on the menu.

I would suggest the National Weather Service building in League City, but with just a small bit of detective work you would then figure out who I was and all the "dirt" they have on me :-).

Of course, if you did want to contact them you can make an appointment. Their contact information is on the NWS Houston website (www.weather.gov and click on the Houston area on the map). They are co-located with the county. The county emergency manager (as of two years ago) is a State grad. We had many conversations about how much fun Tucker and Owen dorms were in the late 1980s.

In addition to NASA and the art museum, I would suggest a baseball game. If you are into just driving around, you might want to consider a drive down to the coast or to some of the towns inland of Houston (College Station, Huntsville, etc.). I always liked to check out some of the smaller town restaurants and sights. Inside of Houston, I would suggest other places in the museum district. In Galveston, you might like the shops and sights on the Strand (Strand Street). There are a few good museums in the city of Galveston including the Galveston Railroad Museum on the Strand and 25th Street and at least two on Broadway (extension of I-45 into the city): Bishop's Palace and Moody Mansion. If you are into Galveston seafood, I liked Gaido's but there are quite a few others. My wife and I also liked a Mediterranean place on the Strand near the Railroad Museum (don't remember the name).