Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

Spring 2019 Lawn & Gardening Thread

HighstickHighstick Posts: 303PFN Referee

It's that time again. Zoysia greened out well this year, but I should have put down a pre-emergent, especially in my new sodded backyard from last year. I did put down the pre-emergent the year before when I did my front yard and weeds were minimal, however my back door neighbor doesn't do anything for weed control so I expected it.

Garden is partially planted, thanks to my wife cleaning up the planter boxes. I put in 6 tomato plants and she planted some peppers today. Weather is still freaky here though!

I'm gonna help my son put in some zoysia in his backyard as soon as he's out of school. He had a huge tree removed and half of the backyard is totally messed up, but he's in sandy soil, so prep should be a lot easier.

Comments

• Wanted zoysia for my front yard but the wifey likes the green all year, so that was a no go. Tried to negotiate a zoysia front and fescue mix backyard, but caved.

Garden going in next weekend weather permitting.

• TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 1,854PFN Referee

what do you use for pre emergent?

• Pack78Pack78 Posts: 254

Seems the chickweed and clover went nuts this spring (no pre-emergent on my end!)

• choppack1choppack1 Posts: 757

Clover definitely went nuts here.

My son and I are trying our first garden. Lots of lettuce was planted, some strawberries, rosemary and carrots. The success of this endeavor falls into the “pending” category.

• pakfanistanpakfanistan Posts: 103

My crop of dandelions is coming in like gangbusters.

• turkeydanceturkeydance Posts: 77

went all natural.

no more grass. wiped it out last year.

we're in the woods, anyway, so ground cover of any type looks good.

my wife's uncle did the same thing 22 years ago, and we liked his setup.

still have to mow out by the road, but we need the exercise.

• YogiNCYogiNC Posts: 458

Ripped out all the shrubbery and flower beds around the house over a 3 year period and replaced it with river rock. Best decision ever. Can spray roundup if weeds pop up but other than that NO MAINTENANCE, NONE!

• 44rules44rules Posts: 321

If I ever go back to a house and a yard, it'll be Astroturf.

• wolfpack4everwolfpack4ever Posts: 52

Best crop of dandelions that I think I have ever raised. The upwind neighbors don’t ever treat for them. The prevailing winds/breezes make it impossible to eliminate them. Oh well. I have surrendered! If you cannot beat them, join them.

• HighstickHighstick Posts: 303PFN Referee

Did your wife give you permission to do that? Does wifey mow grass?

My neighbor(across the street) just had 20 pallets of zoysia laid in their front yard. She had it in the back yard and could not stand it after I did my front yard. I asked her why her "physician husband" wasn't laying sod like I did! She just laughed!!! Holy smoke, Super Sod brings in a monster crew to lay that much!!!

Ok, what's the mater and pepper status thus far? I'm not sure what's going on, but I'm having better luck with both this year as long as the squirrels don't get too crazy. Hopefully, we'll be picking a few maters in a week or so. I've got a bunch of Mad Hatter peppers growing. This was a new try this year.

• pakfanistanpakfanistan Posts: 103

Sparse. It was so hot earlier I had a ton of blossom drop. It's cooled off and I finally have some developing.

• Pack78Pack78 Posts: 254

I have a bumper crop of wild strawberries this summer-the problem is they're in my yard and not a garden...

• 1984Met1984Met Posts: 128

Our tomatoes are growing like crazy up here in Rockingham County. This is my first attempt at seriously growing tomatoes since moving up here a couple of years ago. We have about a 4 by 6 foot raised garden against an old building. I used old cotton and hay compost from a pasture to plant them. I also let the plants go after staking them and now we have six to seven foot tall tomato plants! My wife and I were laughing about having to trim them back some yesterday.

One of the back-40 fields on our place is full of blackberries. It has made for some nifty and prickly experiences in getting to them. However the heat over the past few days has made a lot of the vines to die off with still red berries -- what a waste! I have only gotten a couple of gallons out of it and was expecting at least another week's worth of berry picking to result in another few gallons. My wife likes to freeze them and bake pies through the year. If last year's black bear wanders back through he is going to be disappointed (and so will I because of the added competition).

Pack78 - I hear you on the strawberries.

My first garden has thus far yielded 2 excellent jalapeños- with at least 2 more good ones coming, some good cilantro, one decent banana pepper that an animal ate and one that should be safe, we have 1 good bell pepper coming in, carrots are pending.

• turkeydanceturkeydance Posts: 77

haven't mowed by the road in two weeks.

the dry May must have stunted the fescue.

usually, i am mowing every week.

and i bought a new lawnmower, too.

maybe that's the magic?

A new mower worked for me last year. That magic is gone. I did see a snake as I was mowing today (about a yard in front of me) I probably didn’t focus as much on the line as my surroundings after that.

• YogiNCYogiNC Posts: 458

My 54" zero turn has outrun more than one snake. A copperhead decided to turn and fight and was almost instantly chewed up into tiny pieces too numerous to count.

• AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 1,696

Did it get sliced so you could have made a kabob out of it and put them on the grill.

My 12G does not slice and dice like a BadBoy mower should....more like a Vegamatic....

We have finally harvested a tomato or two. Squirrels are back in force, but I'm trying a new secret treatment this year.

• AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 1,696

Some air rifles are totally effective. Others like subsonic 22 LR ammo (bolt or lever action) with a red dot and a can. Instant squirrel elimination and you can harvest the ‘maters and make a Brunswick stew in the traditional way with “the meat of two gray squirrels”....

Used to raise a LOT of tomatoes....until the deer acquired a taste for them just as they started to ripen.

I've been shooting pellets for years. Love to do it with open sights to hone my sniper skills. I just messed up one of the sights on my favorite and have ordered a replacement. I got a super deal on a close-out at Gander Mountain a couple of years ago and it has a scope. I need to take time to zero it. I feed the squirrels to my neighborhood hawk.

• Fastback68Fastback68 Posts: 485

I like the Aguila .22 Colibri. I found the Gamo .17 has to be fine tuned constantly, the scope that is.

I'm a Viet Era Vet from 66-70. We didn't need "no damned scope" until we were snipers...LOL...I have shot a bunch of squirrels with open sights from my sunroom door. Don't think I've hit anything with the scope, but like I said, I haven't taken the time to zero it yet...I have an older Gamo 220 Hunter with open sights. I'm usually not shooting from more than 20 yards or so. Maybe I just need to pull out my 45 LC Ruger and see if the noise kills one!