Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

2019 Carolina Hurricanes Playoffs Thread

TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 1,777PFN Referee
Series tied 2-2.  Game #5 April 20th, 8pm.

Guess I'll hop on the bandwagon this year.
«134567

Comments

  • RickRick Posts: 1,447PFN Referee
    I went to the two home games. That was as exciting a sporting event I have attended since the Jimmy V days in Reynolds. It was so much fun
  • SamIamSamIam Posts: 290
    Great addition to the board!  The place was unbelievable, I don't believe I saw one person not screaming and yelling at every play.  Gonna be tough having to win one in DC, the boys can get er don though.
  • GreywolfGreywolf Posts: 647
    Players are saying that is the loudest arena I have ever played in. Talking about the energy they get from it. Has me wonder about what the basketball team do with that kind of support. I remember old Reynolds and the "noise meter."
  • RickRick Posts: 1,447PFN Referee
    Greywolf said:
    Players are saying that is the loudest arena I have ever played in. Talking about the energy they get from it. Has me wonder about what the basketball team do with that kind of support. I remember old Reynolds and the "noise meter."

    Win and you get that support
  • AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 1,598
    having attended 98% of the PNC home games beginning with the 2006-07 season, I can tell you that there were less than 5....maybe 10 at the outside....games where we were TOTALLY (as in the REAL attendances....or Butts at each seat....and usually NOT seated) SOLD OUT.

    BUT those were raucous games and the PNC CAN get loud.  I have only attended a few Cane's games....but I can also attest to the fact that alcohol does fuel the vocal cords...  sometimes in a negative manner.  BUT, if you get a large crowd and their team is doing well....THEN you have more volume and more excitement.

    I have been watching the playoffs.....LIVE for the Canes....as as a sedative for my little aches and pains that prevent me from dropping off into LaLa land.

    Will do so tonight as well.....
  • GreywolfGreywolf Posts: 647
    edited April 20
    Rick said:
    Greywolf said:
    Players are saying that is the loudest arena I have ever played in. Talking about the energy they get from it. Has me wonder about what the basketball team do with that kind of support. I remember old Reynolds and the "noise meter."

    Win and you get that support
    That is surely so. 

    Not a reflection on your post, Rick. I just have a few thoughts on the subject. Unfortunately it's like with children: they need love most when they deserve it least. That's when a parent can make the most difference. Same with fans. I don't know about others but it takes real effort for me to provide that kind of support when the Pack is losing -- like my criticism and disapproval is going to help.  ;)
  • RickRick Posts: 1,447PFN Referee
    Greywolf said:
    Rick said:
    Greywolf said:
    Players are saying that is the loudest arena I have ever played in. Talking about the energy they get from it. Has me wonder about what the basketball team do with that kind of support. I remember old Reynolds and the "noise meter."

    Win and you get that support
    That is surely so. 

    Not a reflection on your post, Rick. I just have a few thoughts on the subject. Unfortunately it's like with children: they need love most when they deserve it least. That's when a parent can make the most difference. Same with fans. I don't know about others but it takes real effort for me to provide that kind of support when the Pack is losing -- like my criticism and disapproval is going to help.  ;)

    While I don't disagree, at a certain point people are going to look for more enjoyable ways to spend their money. That's the reality of stinking for as long as we have.

  • GreywolfGreywolf Posts: 647
    Rick said:
    Greywolf said:
    Rick said:
    Greywolf said:
    Players are saying that is the loudest arena I have ever played in. Talking about the energy they get from it. Has me wonder about what the basketball team do with that kind of support. I remember old Reynolds and the "noise meter."

    Win and you get that support
    That is surely so. 

    Not a reflection on your post, Rick. I just have a few thoughts on the subject. Unfortunately it's like with children: they need love most when they deserve it least. That's when a parent can make the most difference. Same with fans. I don't know about others but it takes real effort for me to provide that kind of support when the Pack is losing -- like my criticism and disapproval is going to help.  ;)

    While I don't disagree, at a certain point people are going to look for more enjoyable ways to spend their money. That's the reality of stinking for as long as we have.

    No question about people looking for enjoyable ways of spending their money. What the We fans as a group don't support the team after we make the choice to spend the money. "The place was unbelievable, I don't believe I saw one person not screaming and yelling at every play." This is a quote about Canes fans in the PNC.

    When Doeren first came here he made a REQUEST that fans be back at the start of the 3rd Q -- stating how much it would mean to the team. We fans took offence, twisted his words, took them out of the context of a request and turned them into a demand. Then we publicly lambasted him for having the audacity to criticize the loyal State fans.

    The PNC was the epitome of fan support during the 2 games you saw. A quarter of the fans drinking beer in the parking lots during the 3rd Q is not. Not saying fans don't have the right to do what they want after spending their money for tickets. Just saying that empty seats and unfounded attacks on the coach are not great fan support.
  • RickRick Posts: 1,447PFN Referee
    Grey,
    Imo a new coach is making a huge mistake calling out fans. It's asking for criticism. However I don't see how that had anything to do with the topic of conversation. 

    Nonetheless, win and you will get fans to cheer for you. It's the reality. You can criticize the fans all you want but it's life. I know it's makes you feel good to talk about how you support them no matter what. And that's great but you are a minority. If a coach doesn't realize that he's in the wrong profession.
  • GreywolfGreywolf Posts: 647
    I both heard and read what Doeren said. He didn't call the fans out. He told the fans what a difference their support made and REQUESTED the be back in their seats at the start of the 3rd Q. 
  • RickRick Posts: 1,447PFN Referee
    Semantics.
    It obviously went over like a lead balloon. Bad idea but I still don't understand the relevance.
  • GreywolfGreywolf Posts: 647
    Rick, IMO some fans interpreted Doeren's requests as calling fans out. Many of those fans who did not hear or read what Doeren said, now believe he called the fans out. I both heard and read what Doeren said. He didn't call the fans out. He told the fans what a difference their support made and REQUESTED we be back in their seats at the start of the 3rd Q. 

    I'm sure he regrets it and has apologized for saying it - whether it deserved an apology or not.

    "win and you will get fans to cheer for you." The definition of Fair Weather Fans. Sounds like Holes fans to me. I'm  sorry you think the Pack only deserves support when they win. Different strokes for different folks.

    BTW I don't cheer for the Pack because it makes me feel good, I do it because cheering makes the team play better. Like parental support helps kids do better in school and life.
  • HighstickHighstick Posts: 296PFN Referee
    I've sat in the cheap seats and have sat in the skyboxes.  I love hockey, especially playoff hockey when it's noisy and rowdy!  I've still got my Stanley Cup hat that I bought there the day after they won on a trip back home from working in Wilmington.  I had to stop!!
  • RickRick Posts: 1,447PFN Referee
    Grey,
    Your condescension is noted. I didn't say they deserved only when they won. I said win and they will get it.
    I am done with this. Have the last word. You took a nice thread about the Canes and turned it into an opportunity to run down the State fans.

  • RickRick Posts: 1,447PFN Referee
    Highstick said:
    I've sat in the cheap seats and have sat in the skyboxes.  I love hockey, especially playoff hockey when it's noisy and rowdy!  I've still got my Stanley Cup hat that I bought there the day after they won on a trip back home from working in Wilmington.  I had to stop!!

    I refuse to stop wearing my 2006 hat until they get another....
  • GreywolfGreywolf Posts: 647
    Rick said:
    Grey,
    Your condescension is noted. I didn't say they deserved only when they won. I said win and they will get it.
    I am done with this. Have the last word. You took a nice thread about the Canes and turned it into an opportunity to run down the State fans.

    Just the State fans who only cheer for the team when it wins. You know, Fair Weather fans.
  • gvlpackfangvlpackfan Posts: 29

    I get so tired of hearing other State fans run down other State fans, questioning their loyalty. I’m 40 years old and have never experienced a championship in football, basketball or baseball that I can remember. My college years were filled with Herb Sendek an Mike O’Cain. Let that sink in for a minute. The fact that anyone my around my age is a fan is a down right miracle.

  • RickRick Posts: 1,447PFN Referee

    Canes win another great game in front of a fantastic crowd.

    That was fun and exciting.

  • AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 1,598

    I was out at my GS's birthday meal (would have been cheaper to buy scalped tickets for him and myself....rather than feed the CREW that wanted to come along).

    Watched the score.....then got home when it was tied.

    The Rusky from DC looked a bit "frustrated". I've seen that look before.....like when the Might Tyler (of ORW and UNC fame) GOT a foul called on him.

    Wednesday will be the test. I SINCERELY hope that I don't turn on a Hockey game and think it is UFC. The brawling where they look like a bunch of adults rolling around is OK....but the out and out bare knuckled stuff is NOT my cup of tea.....and it only, for me again, detracts from the sport. I also feel the way about "THE BIG 'UNS" in NASCAR.

    Watched exactly (or close) 6 NHL games this year....

  • RickRick Posts: 1,447PFN Referee

    Ovechkin is a coward. He got mad in a game and picked on the smallest guy on the team who is a teenager who never fights. Then had the gall to say the other guy started it. I wish someone would take that POS out. He is dirty.

  • GreywolfGreywolf Posts: 647
    edited April 23

    A little info for you guys who don't follow the Canes or hockey...

    The Washington Capitals vs the Carolina Hurricanes


    Caps: Defending Stanley Cup winner

    Canes: Missed playoffs previous 10 years


    The Caps had a 6 game win streak this year until the Canes won 3 out of the last 4. The Caps are bigger, faster, stronger and more talented than the Canes. The league leader in goals scored is a Cap.


    For years the Caps have had one of the top goalies in the league. The Canes goalie pleaded for a chance to prove himself with a tryout contract after a hole opened up when the regular goalie had personal issues.


    The original starting goalie is gone. The current back-up goalie also came off the goalie trash heap and did very well in the regular season. They alternated every other game until the playoffs.


    The Canes have had to call up 3 players from the AHL to replace 3 injured in the 3rd playoff game -- one each off the top 3 lines. They won that game. In the 6th game Caps had to use a replacement for one of their top 6 players. The Caps' replacement scored 3 goals in last year's playoffs.


    How are the other teams doing? Tampa Bay, the team that led the league in wins, points and goals scored, was swept in 4 games. The Pittsburgh Pens, winner of multiple Stanley Cups in recent years, was also swept.


    Try watching a few minutes Wednesday evening. The players are racing up and down the ice and hitting each other, often into the boards. They block shots with a body part. Being hit with a hard rubber puck sometimes at a 100 mph is not for the meek. Taking one for the team has real meaning in hockey.

     

  • YogiNCYogiNC Posts: 458

    This is a Brind'Amour team. I've been a big fan of him long before he came to Carolina. And he has been the reason the Canes are surging. I have my fingers crossed.

    I've hated the Caps since I started watching the NHL in 1982. I started out an Islanders fan. THAT was THE team in the early 80s, and if not for "the Great One" they would have probably broken Montreal's record for consecutive cups.

  • GowolvesGowolves Posts: 284

    Let’s go Canes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  • GreywolfGreywolf Posts: 647

    Canes win in double overtime 4-3. Mr. Game 7, Justin Williams with the game winner!!

  • GowolvesGowolves Posts: 284

    What a freaking game!!! Go Canes!!!

Sign In or Register to comment.