Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

Staring Into Mediocrity's Abyss - 20 November 2021 Game Thread

KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 5,242PFN Referee

We tried to beat a team of Wake Forest's makeup by kicking FGs, and thus got what we deserved. A winning mentality does not mean you will win, but it's a necessary predicate to have a shot.

And now we have a series of three meaningless exhibitions to finish 2021.

First up is Syracuse. The game is at home, and the opponent is terrible. My oldest child has her senior opera performance that night, and at least I don't have to feel bad about splitting my attentions now. It would be hard to give less fucks about the ballgame, and if I was a better man - that would have been the case regardless.

So I guess I get what I deserve, too.

I am grumpy, and there will be no further polling.

Comments

• TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 3,757PFN Referee

Thanks for getting up a thread. It took everything I had to update the banner this AM.

• KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 5,242PFN Referee

I reckoned it would only get harder to shit out, the longer I waited.

At least I have fantasy football and Donks at Iggles to piss me off today.

• jppackattackjppackattack Posts: 1,247

Has to be a noon kickoff right? We've earned it. Sectionals high school swim meet on Saturday should hopefully prevent me from tuning in.

• Fastback68Fastback68 Posts: 1,473

I have nightmares of the meet event buzzer going off to this day. 12 years of swim-meets. 11 months out of the year.

Song for the day, appropriately from the album "Viva Hate"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf6Xwb03jTE

• AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 4,404

I, too, have recollections. Hot summers with no shade. DW was Meet Director for a major event in Sanford. I got bored timing and was not “stroke judge” material. Give me a gun and a microphone and what more could you want? TO BE IN CHARGE!! I became a starter and enjoyed that.

• choppack1choppack1 Posts: 2,727

The team still has plenty to play for. There’s a chance that Wake loses at Death Valley and then at BC, in the cold November rain (if any team should understand how the Tigers and cold, windy northeastern day can ruin division title hope it’s the Wolpfack.

I also think it’s critical for the program to beat UNC-Ch if we are going to have any hope at derailing the recruiting train at Chapel Hill. A 6-2 record without a division title would be a little disappointing, but less so than 4-4 record or a 5-3 record with a loss to UNc-Ch.

Theoretically, we are still alive. But being pragmatic, we are as dead as this mofo:

• Fastback68Fastback68 Posts: 1,473

Hickory and Shelby in the dead still summer heat were the worst. The spectators looked like burnt toast. Of course we had to add high school meets and summer club competition. Myers Park, Carmel CC and Charlotte CC at least had plastic enhanced eye candy.

Ha! Preceded by "take your mark". Lately our daughter has shifted to cross country and is only swimming sparingly. It's a trade off, on one hand no waiting around for hours to watch your kid swim for 30 seconds to a few minutes, but there are so many back to back weekends of cross country meets!

The starter is a great job. You don't realize how much is going on before each race that plays into the readiness of starting a heat. Deck ref is just plain stressful most of the time.

• 1984Met1984Met Posts: 1,306

I for one have never prefered the plastic enhanced. Just plain country girls. Then I get married to a plain but very cute Irish German California girl. Go figure.

I am still optimistic about State winning out. Injuries are not doing us any favors. On the bright side, the young guys are gaining a ton of game experience.

Which will enhance their “assets” or Portal Resume next spring. I was not this pessimistic, until I started conversing with you guys….LOL….

1) We won't beat the Holes. No way, no how.

2) Even if we did, we would need an EXACT 3-way tie with Wake and Clemson, with us having the highest ranking.

3) Which likely would require Clemson also losing to South Cakalaky.

Is a fine line between hope and lunacy.

I for one enjoy the comments by grey and his general outlook. Everyone else reminds me of my son. You wear your passion and hearts on your sleeve for all to see. I reckon, in a way, that I like comments from everyone else too. Just tempered by grey.

It doesn’t require Clemson losing to USCar. Tie beaker in 3 tie goes head to head, then division record, then head to head (like a weird tournament. 1st tie breaker, we are all 1-1. In division record, we would be 4-1 as would Clemson, Wake would be 3-2. Wake gets eliminated. Then we beat Clemson head to head. It’s not likely, but that’s how we could go if we won out.

• TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 3,757PFN Referee

I look at it like this... This place serves as a nice outlet, a therapy of sorts if you will, to let out all the hostility and disappointment caused by Pack ripping out our hearts annually and to be together with others sharing that same specific distress. That being said there is a lot of negativity to be consumed here. So ultimately is it healthy? I don't know??? LOL

• ryebreadryebread Posts: 3,173PFN Referee
    edited November 15

I guess I look at it differently. I felt we were dead in the water since the Miami loss. It's why I was so upset with that loss. That was the one we needed to give us a little cushion if we were going to have a special season, and was an opponent at the time that had very little momentum.

We went into the Wake game with nothing really to lose and everything to gain. The pressure was all on Wake (or should have been).

I figured we'd lose before the year, before the game, in the first quarter when we settled for field goals and every time we caught a bad break or had a player injured. The game plan was flawed on offense, and there was belief that the defense was better than it was (or there's no way you're settling for FGs). Given all of those things, it is amazing the Pack was a half yard away from an onsides kick recovery for the potential win (or a missed FG, however you want to look at it).

The Pack gave it a go and lost. So be it. The sun rose the next day. On to the next one.

Syracuse is bad. We must beat them. It'd be nice to find a run game in doing so, though I'm not hopeful.

I'm convinced that we won't find a run game against P5 opponents until Garrison is gone. If you can't do it with an All American pancake machine on the line, there's just a complete lack of talent with all the other players, or schematic / technique issues. I suspect the latter.

The season (to me) rides on this two game span with the focus as UNC. Lose to the Cuse, and the Pack's not beating UNC. Get the minds right, beat the Cuse, try to get healthy and lay it all out there for UNC. Beat the Holes to get to 9-3, and it's been a GREAT year. Lose the last two, ending on a 3 game skid and the shine's off this year (and reopens the same questions about DD). Go 8-4 and it's pretty good given the schedule, though a UNC loss would really hurt the argument of building momentum. UNC should be NC State's Super Bowl this season, but you likely only win that Super Bowl if you beat the Orange.

• RickRick Posts: 3,247PFN Referee

I think I have accepted DD is going to give us 8-9 wins a year but never really give us that special season. It is enough to get me to watch most games when it is convenient. But ones that are important (like Wake or UNC) I just do not watch as the risk reward is not in my favor. I am sure that will irritate some but it is where I am. DD has done some really good things and he is the best coach we have had since Sheridan but I have no confidence he will ever make the championship game.

I admits to being confused, If I understand. Wake has to lose 2….so I think that is BC and Clemson, as the UNC loss was “Non Conference”. So IF we beat Cuse and UNX, and Clemson takes Wake, then we all are tied. Then the tie breaker alludes me. We beat Clemson. Wake got beat by Clemson….

Sorry for not grasping it,,,,,

OK, NC State, Wake and Clemson all have 6-2 records…(if we win out, Clemson beats Wake and Wake loses to BC.)

1st tiebreaker: head to head records, all three are 1-1 against the 1st place opponents. Tie.

2nd Tiebreaker: (Atlantic) Division record. NC State 4-1, Clemson 4-1, Wake 3-2. Wake eliminated.

Clemson and State remain. State wins tiebreaker due to head to head.

The quandary for schools like us... you can go all out and pay a guy a ton of money and still suck or be average. Paying a guy several millions per year is no guarantee to have a consistent winning program. Just ask the tens upon tens of fan bases whose university pays more than our for football coaching staff, yet their programs are about where ours is or perhaps worse. So you look for the guys that haven't broken out yet but have perceived upside. When they do break out they get offered multiple times their salary at another school and they're gone. So the DD scenario is the optimum for us if we like consistently decent but never great teams year after year. Every now and then it might be nice to have the flash in the pan season with the guy that gets snatched up by a bigger school the following year, but is it worth the risk of potentially suffering through several years of purgatory searching for another guy after that one good season? In other words, would you take the "safe bet" in DD who's likely not going to get lured away and will produce 7-8 wins on average, or roll the dice hoping for better results every so often? Wondering what folks' thought is on this. I am pretty sure Boo goes for the former but just wondering what we as fans think.

Thanks, chop. So, I will up our chances from 0.5% to maybe 2-3%. Hey, better than nothing.

• FriedOkraFriedOkra Posts: 136

JP I would be willing to roll the dice and at least try to win an ACC championship. Some folks will live their entire life without seeing state win anything meaningful.

Yes, the DD foundation of 7-8 wins and a shitty bowl is secure in today's ACC. But what if the ACC improves instead of declining? That 7/8 wins could easily be 3/4 wins any given year.

It seems like every year the stars align for DD and every possible break goes our way but we can NEVER take advantage (I'm talking about other programs being down, coaching changes, having the flu, and other reasons). It feels like those chances are slipping away.

It sucks watching other programs go through peaks and valleys while we are flat lined in purgatory.