Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

Hoops Central Connecticut Game Thread (Tuesday, Nov 16 at 8pm, TV FLOSPORTS)

TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 3,757PFN Referee

No time for a write up, but here's a thread. Still looking for volunteers to put up game threads. Lengthy writeups/previews not required!

Comments

• Fastback68Fastback68 Posts: 1,473

Excellent write up AT! And I’m not being a smart ass. I just hope it’s on tv.

• AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 4,404

It IS, but you PROBABLY need a FloSports subscription….

Need some of you hackers to find a backdoor….

• jppackattackjppackattack Posts: 1,247

Flosports... hmm that doesn't sound like an outfit I'd trust with my credit card info. Will follow on the ESPN gamecast I suppose.

• TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 3,757PFN Referee

Relegated to Flosports. If that ain't a reflection of the state of the program. 😅

Browntroutflosports?

• TexpackTexpack Posts: 3,992

Your best chance for a free stream will be

sportsurge.net

• ryebreadryebread Posts: 3,173PFN Referee
    edited November 15

KK has found a cupcake to feast on. CConn has already lost to UCONN by 50 and Brown (who pushed UNC to the limit in the Dean Dome) by 17. They’re bad — currently 346th according to the computers. This is a Quad 4 as it gets.

I guess here are the things to watch. NC State has done two things well statistically thus far:

• Not put opponents on the line.
    • Not turn the ball over.

The Pack’a in the top 10 nationally after two games in those stats. How much of that is a function of State’s actual accomplishments vs playing two jump shooting teams from the Patriot league — well, you be the judge.

NC State has struggled mightily at:

• 3 point shooting percentage of 28% as a team (246th nationally)
    • Assist rate of only 26.2% which is 340+ nationally
    • 3 pointers as a percentage of offense (300th nationally)
    • Pace: 240th nationally
    • 2 point and 3 point percentage defense (240ish and 250ish nationally respectively).

So while we are only two games in, the stats support what my eyes tell me:

• We have a stagnant offense that does not generate good looks unless we are on the break.
    • We don’t shoot well, and that is definitely exacerbated by the bad offense.
    • The defense is bad inside and outside. It is more of a function of what the opponent wants to get.
    • Teams just need to bog the Pack down into a half court game and we will struggle. We are only two games in and already see it.
    • It’s going to be a long year.

But enjoy the easy win in this game. Everyone will get ice cream after the main course of cupcake.

Thanks for the analysis Rye. I knew the 3 point shooting was bad, par for the course it seems for a KK Wolfpack squad. We really only have 2 guys I would trust shooting a high volume of 3's, Morsell and Smith, and while Allen would be a 3rd, I'm not sure I would like seeing all three of them playing at the same time or all 3 getting heavy minutes for that matter. But logic says when Allen is available Pass will end up sitting on the bench. We'll see. Either way, lots of room for improvement in 3 point shooting, good news being we're only 2 games into the season.

edited November 15

I’d give all of Allen’s minutes to Pass. Pass has more upside, handles the ball better, plays harder on defense and is similarly sized. He also has more years left in the jersey (if we keep him fed).

But we’re talking about which 6 ft, 3 star guard to play. That’s the problem. We’re not winning this small, and we are this small largely this small due to active roster construction choices.

It also baffles me that we are this small, lost Manny and Ross is on the bench. Ready or not, he is the highest ranked recruit KK has brought in and we clearly need more size. Get him on the court.

There are just so many systemic flaws to KK ball that I don't see how he ever breaks through. Thus it feels like the purgatory of HWSNBN all over again, but with a lower ceiling. At least the Desert Wanderer would get to the ACC title game before Lucy yanked the football away.

Rye, I would too but I suspect KK will play Allen when he's healthy. And yes that is the problem, too short. But, Morsell has length and so does Seabron. Meaning longer limbs than average for their height. Duowona is plenty tall but I didn't realize how slight he was til I saw him getting taken to the cleaners by big burly low post toothpaste dude the other night.

• RickRick Posts: 3,247PFN Referee

From the little I have seen, the threes we take are of the difficult variety. No one is creating and kicking it out for an open three. They tend to be off the bounce/one on one move and usually guarded. Even good shooters struggle making those consistently.

Morsell’s 3 point shooting so far is an anomaly to what he did for the lounge singer. Maybe he’s benefitting from more minutes, but the data doesn’t support what he’s done so far. Smith is very erratic with freshman judgement. He may make 8 in one game this year to fuel a huge upset, but I think you’ll see a lot of 2-7 games out of him until he figures out when to shoot the three. We don’t move the ball well so guys don’t get many good looks. That makes marginal shooters bad shooters.

• FriedOkraFriedOkra Posts: 136

CC state Blue Devils are awful. CC Harrison alone is a better basketball team than them. Our walk-ons should feast.

I agree that we could debate whether we have mediocre shooters in a horrible offense or really bad shooters in a mediocre offense. But given all the poor team shooting over 4+ seasons, even if one didn’t actually watch the games, it should be clear.

Watch the games and it will be painfully obvious. The next time we see a double sided ball rotation paired with a post and pass out for a squared up, in rhythm three pointer will be the first time all season. The half court offense is really bad.

• TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 3,757PFN Referee
    edited November 16

Was it Wendell Murphy that essentially brought in KK? Wonder if he's seen enough? It appears it isn't a good idea to let the boosters pick basketball coaches. I do wonder if he didn't hold us hostage to that pick.. i.e. "no KK then no check from me". Do know I am talking out of my behind here.

• Vawolf82Vawolf82 Posts: 1,350PFN Referee

KK may not work out as a long-term solution. However, he did have some of the key resume points that State should be looking for in the revenue sports:

• Success at a lower level
    • Build that program, not just maintain an existing one

It goes without saying that Lowe and Gott didn't meet either criteria plus the coaching searches were an embarrassment. So if Murphy was driving the bus, he did a much better job on the coaching search than the last two AD's.

• KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 5,242PFN Referee

Murhpy's daughter-in-law (or some relation of similar ilk) was on the UNC-W Board, and Murphy became friends and 100% picked him. Yow, after the dumpster fire of the previous search, was happy to travel the path of least resistance.

And yes, Keatts has been competent. Just not "The Guy" it seems.

Science night at my wife’s school so I’ll be fulfilling by Constitutional responsibilities (insuring domestic tranquility) rather than searching for a stream. 3-0 is impressive for any P5 program this season but this will be the end of the streak.

edited November 16

That's how I understood it, other than I would add that Yow wanted "strong @ssed offer" Will Wade. So between KK and Wade, I was glad at the time (and still am) that it was KK over Wade. Wade was a "recruiter" and had the FBI gotten him on an a recording AFTER Gott, then we might as well have shut the program down.

It's also why I think we're in purgatory. Murphy is going to have to be proven wrong about KK, and NC State's going to have to get past the NCAA mess. I think it will take getting past the NCAA mess before excuses are removed such that performance will be seen objectively given the personal relationship. The strategy with the NCAA doesn't mean we're getting past this quickly.

• KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 5,242PFN Referee

Keatts is competent, and won't get Boo fired. Which means he is 100% doing enough for management. No improvement needed (though I do think Keatts cares and will try anyway).

• RickRick Posts: 3,247PFN Referee

I think KK cares but he seems to lack the ability to look at himself in a critical manner to identify shortcomings and make the changes needed to get to the next level.

We had friends at the beach over the weekend. They are both Dayton flyer grads which brought up Archie Miller. I googled to see where he landed but nothing. Anybody know? I didn’t want him coming here, still don’t. I guess he’s collecting checks.

• pirate options:

1. Stream2Watch.sx.
    2. strikeout.nu.

lots of ads and popups

(one is a Flash Update!)

but it is free and in HD.

• FriedOkraFriedOkra Posts: 136

Unless Archie has changed he hates state. He basically said state was the problem and southerners are dumb. He had speach in our prt 450 course that bashed the basketball program. I'm not sure if Sean felt that way or not.

• Pack78Pack78 Posts: 873

Think he is better somewhere other than State...