Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

Hoops: Colgate Game Thread (Saturday, Nov 12th at 2pm, TV: ACCNX)

TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 3,757PFN Referee
edited November 10 in Wolfpack Sports

<Insert toothpaste joke here>

Looks to be a tune-up game. I unfortunately stay pretty busy with work this time of year so I likely won't have time to to do decent writeups for the game threads but for now least I can get something started!

Again if anyone is interested in creating more thorough game threads feel free to volunteer in the comments! (What about you, Frosh???)

<Insert yet another toothpaste joke here>

Comments

• jppackattackjppackattack Posts: 1,247

Aquafresh is the best. Just can't beat that red, white, and blue swirl!

• AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 4,404

Somewhere in my younger days, I thought that a beaver did a commercial for another brand….BINGO….

OK….we played Buck Nell, and won…..so the BUCKY’s are behind us. Now we play a school named after a soap and toothpaste company (Colgate Palmolive). They may be abrasive and also very SLICK (Rimshot). We need to keep our stroking technique at the highest level and also make sure we cover the corners…..

Seriously, other than a funky 2:00 tip off, does anyone know anything about them, as a squad?

• ryebreadryebread Posts: 3,173PFN Referee
    edited November 10

Colgate is picked to with the Patriot league (yet again). This is a much better team than Bucknell.

The computers like State by 3 points. They also think we’ll finish below .500 overall and in the ACC.

• KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 5,242PFN Referee

Should be a good barometer as to how we'll fare in the Patriot League overall, then!

Fuck playing hoopsball during football time, though.

• TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 3,757PFN Referee
    edited November 11

Rye, which computer model you looking at? Waaaaaaay to early (i.e. not enough data) Sagarin prediction likes the Pack by 10.5. I guess any models at this point in the season would probably not be reliable though.

We should be expected to beat Colgate under any circumstances though IMO.

I agree that it’s too early to know much in the computer model. I just tossed it out as a fun fact. I’m using stuff based on KenPom.

• PIRPIR Posts: 163

I know nothing of Colgate. They could be a really good team. But at game 2 of the season, we should be able to expect a win against Colgate. Not to say that Colgate couldn't win or that they won't. Just saying that if the state of things were good, we would be able to go into a game like this with an expectation of winning. Which goes to the question of the state of things.

The Pack gave up 62.5% shooting from inside the 3 point line against Bucknell. That currently puts them at 256th nationally in what is a sample size so small that it is obviously flawed. One game a season does not make, but that is worse than any team in D1 did on the season last year. The defense will improve, but it is also going to have to and from inside out or the Pack won't win many games.

To pair a concern with a positive, Pass had a better game in his Wolfpack debut offensively than all but 2 games that Moore played last year. It was against Bucknell, but the Pack had its share of similar opponents last season and Moore was never that efficient offensively. On the ball defensive pressure and toughness are hard to tell in a one game sample size, but I think we're going to like what we see out of this All State football player.

To me I always thought of Moore as a football player playing basketball. Pass is a basketball player that used to play football. I think he has the "it" factor. I think Terquavion does also, in a different way.

It is interesting that Pass has played very little organized basketball. He is just a freak athlete who came late to the game and managed to shoot over 50% from 3 his senior year in high school (if my memory is correct). I think his recruitment is part of why Moore left.

• I thought Pass’s late father was a good basketball player abs his coach. Didn’t know he was late to the game

I don’t think he played basketball (formally) until a couple of seasons ago. He was more focused on football. Smart choice to change to a sport that is not quite as hard on the body.

• TexpackTexpack Posts: 3,992

Pass and Smith are smarter than the average freshmen based off of the first game

Playing guard in the ACC isn't for the faint of heart. They will stumble a bit, but I really think we're in for a treat.

University of No Class shot 20 free throws in the second half to survive against Brown. If the refs are going to cook it up for Hubert like they did Roy, that will cover a lot of the coaching deficiencies.

• Fastback68Fastback68 Posts: 1,473

So not on TV again but I can get high point versus nm state.

• TexpackTexpack Posts: 3,992

Seabron looking like a homeless man’s Dr J.

• freshmanin83freshmanin83 Posts: 2,262PFN Referee

Playing with energy. A little sloppy at times.

Nice transition baskets run.

• FriedOkraFriedOkra Posts: 136

We need more production from bench

• PackPACPackPAC Posts: 683

I’m at my daughter’s last All-State music festival in Wake Forest so I’ll be following along here and on ESPN app. Got the football game on the dvr hoping for two wins today!

Just turned it on. We are sooooooo small.

edited November 13

Hellems seems to be taking rushed bad shots.

Uninspired finish of the half.

If Hayes could shoot, he'd be an incredible player. Then again, if he could shoot, he'd be playing for a better program.