Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

Time To Wake Tha F-ck Up! - 13 November Game Thread

KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 5,241PFN Referee

OK, there's no more putting this off. The elephant in the room. The trip to Winston-Salem, for a de facto home game that will 90% likely determine the Atlantic Champion.

Yes, let's not assume 100% - we would still need another Wake Forest loss down the stretch (likely but not assured). But we can't out-tiebreak WFU if they beat us. I am not looking up fanciful, potential 3/4-way ties at 6-2.

Should we win Saturday, but Wake finishes 7-1...I will be shitting my pants all of Thanksgiving Week. But again, let's just not go there. YET.

Naturally, the Holes screwed us with their comeback win last week. It will throw cold water over "Billy Big Bollocks" feelings and allow Claussen to keep his crew focused. Make no mistake - we will get the Deacons' best shot.

They are a compare and contrast of matchup pluses and minuses. Bad? They specialize in deep ball passing. And they don't settle for FGs or ever think "hey, that should be enough points to win." They will attack, attack, attack. Our depth, conditioning, and focus will all be tested to the limit. Unlike any other opponent on our schedule. We will have to bring back 100% of the defensive performance from Tallahassee.

But the good? They can't defend for shit, especially against the run. Bam, Person, and Pinnix all have to be licking their chops. But we have to keep a certain mindset - including there is no such thing as 4th down. To punt, or even kick FGs, against these? Is absurd. Every. Single. Possession. Needs to be "TD or bust." And I am not exaggerating.

This is very meaningful to me. My daughter is a junior in textiles management. After the awfulness that enveloped 2020, she has "stopped to smell the flowers" and attended every (or almost every) home game this season, and really enjoyed herself. I want her to experience playing for a championship. Our last football title came in 1979, as you all know. I was 6, so I should have some memory of it. But I do not.

WolvenSpawn asked me when we last played in the ACC title game, and I had to reply "never" - then explaining that the concept is relatively new, or at least in geological time. But yeah - NONE. We need to fix that shit, even if Pitt beats us in Charlotte. This is an essential step in that journey, though thanks to Da U - not a conclusive one.

OK, now you can look ahead
  1. How do you see the Atlantic playing out?23 votes
    1. State loses this week (and we all lose interest)
      26.09%
    2. State wins this week, but stubs toe and Wake takes advantage
      17.39%
    3. State wins this week, stubs toe, but so does Wake
      13.04%
    4. State wins out
      17.39%
    5. Stop asking such stupid questions, you'll jinx us!
      26.09%

Comments

• Vawolf82Vawolf82 Posts: 1,350PFN Referee

AP rankings are from week of the game.

Note that State has lost all three games whenever either team is ranked. I suspect that some will be surprised that State is 0.500 against WF over the DD era (including the two forgettable years. '13 and '19, that netted one ACC win).

• 1984Met1984Met Posts: 1,305

I for one think it will be an exciting game. My son and I are going.

• 1984Met1984Met Posts: 1,305

I was a freshman in 1979. Thought State would have won another since. I hate the ballooned conference size now in place.

• jppackattackjppackattack Posts: 1,247

Run, run, run, and run some more. Then let Leary do some cooking. Yeah whatever we all know how this one ends. But for DD, time to put up or shut up. The Rodney Dangerfield thing was not a good call. You have your chance to earn real respect, starting on Saturday.

• TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 3,757PFN Referee

Getting to the ACC championship game will be harder than actually winning it if we were to get there. I think if we get there we would win.

Wake Forest is 2 point favorite in Vegas. Sagarin also thinks 2 is the number.

I got a bad feeling about this game (how scientific of me!). That said I am going to put a bunch of chips on that WF moneyline and see if I can't buy us a win.

Go Pack!

• KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 5,241PFN Referee

I was hoping State would be favoured so I could ML bet Wake (for jinx purposes)!

• SamIamSamIam Posts: 779

Super A hole entering the room....

zero chance coming out of winston with a win. zero, mark it down, bet it, be ready for it. zero

• 4in124in12 Posts: 250

We will need long, sustained, clock burning drives. The best defense is keeping their offense off the field.

Look, I got no brief with pessimism. Especially if reverse-jinx-based.

• Vawolf82Vawolf82 Posts: 1,350PFN Referee

The TV coverage of the next football game and the next basketball game looks to have been confused on the header. The Bucknell hoops game is on ACCNX. The WF football game is on ACCN.

Can't believe we are stuck with ACCN again. Send us ESPN2 and RG3 (who is growing on me as an analyst), at least! I'd say I sniff a conspiracy, but I'm a Wolven Sort - I sniff a conspiracy in almost EVERYTHING. Just because you're paranoid...don't mean they're not after you.

• choppack1choppack1 Posts: 2,727

I think this game is all about who is going to make whom most uncomfortable. We need those epic 8 minute drives for TDs (not field goals or no points). I think the deacs will get little anxious if they realize they are only going to have a few possessions.

I also think this is a very telling matchup. Are we the equivalent of those “they are who we thought they were” teams or is Wake? I think it’s possible one of our weaknesses gets exposed Saturday, resulting in a not-so-close game. Our biggest weaknesses has been establishing the run and not capitalizing inside the 40. Wake’s biggest weakness is defense.

Common Opponents:

Louisville…28-13 (State): 19 - 17 First downs, 361 vs 434 total yards,

Louisville..34-31 (Wake): 25 - 26 First Downs, 517 vs 501 total yards

FSU….28-14 (State): 16 - 18 First downs, 400 vs 271 total yards

FSU…..35-14 (Wake): 16 - 27 First downs, 484 vs 317 total yards

Wake played both teams art home. FSU had 6 TOS versus Wake.

It’s pretty obvious that Wake is better offensively and we are better defensively.

Chop, totally agree. Our only shot IMO is to control clock with long drives running the ball a lot and lots of safe but effective passes. Some deep shots every now and then is fine, but I completely agree we cannot get into a shootout. We are not built for that whatsoever. Get Wake pressing a little bit and perhaps we can get a turnover or two and pair that with long TD drives. If we get this win, it will be more impressive to me than our win against Clemson. Unless Wake just lays a turd which would be perfectly fine by me.

• SamIamSamIam Posts: 779

I'm so hoping to lose $100, be the best money I spent so far in my life.

• TexpackTexpack Posts: 3,992

Pack 31

Wake 28

Christopher gets it Dunn as time expires from 36 yards

If we are kicking a decisive FG at the gun, please just someone say something nice at my funeral.

• Fastback68Fastback68 Posts: 1,473

Walter Sobchak was a good man which is why we placed his ashes in a KFC bucket.

• PIRPIR Posts: 163

KH, I was thinking the same thing. When I see “Christopher Dunn kicks” and “time expires” in the same sentence, a sense of dread automatically rushes over me as if he had actually just missed a winning field goal. PTSD.

• ryebreadryebread Posts: 3,173PFN Referee
  • Fastback68Fastback68 Posts: 1,473

It just does, Donny and you’re out of your element.

• phcqmfdphcqmfd Posts: 118

Fske gets crushed. We win going away 45 to17. Can't pass laying on your back. Defense with 6 sacks. Less than 50 yds rushing and 4 INTs with 2 TINTS (TD after Interceptions). This is the easy one. Wake lose 4 straight. We get to crush that punk from Miami in the championship game, which we do.

So you're saying the turnover bone will be making multiple appearances? I like it. What would be better is if we give Drake Thomas a mach3 so he can rip Hartman's helmet off and shave his beard off while on the turf after one of those 6 sacks. Maybe shave a little off after each sack

• FriedOkraFriedOkra Posts: 136

Once again I got suckered in to thinking we can beat Wake. My hopes are high, but I also am preparing myself for a soul shattering letdown. I'm not sure how I would react if we actually win- it may result in a mental breakdown.

• RickRick Posts: 3,247PFN Referee

I am debating on whether to watch. It is a risk reward situation for me. Is the irritation from potentially losing offset the joy of winning? I am torn.

• Pack78Pack78 Posts: 873

I will be there-for all 4 quarters!