Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

To the Cupcake Factory! 18 September 2021 - Furman Game Thread

KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 4,773PFN Referee

After a no-doubt lovely vacay in Starkville, Mississippi (hey, it very clearly weren't no business trip), it's a close to home field trip. Who doesn't love a tummy full of empty calories?

This game has no betting line, at least that I could find at time of writing. We will all likely have it on in the background, while we do other, hopefully more entertaining stuff.

But a cautionary tale, and a story of how we made the best football coaching hire in modern era - Dick Sheridan. The man who, along with Juco transfer QB Erik Kramer, pulled NC State out of the ash heap in 1986. How/why did he hire him? IIRC, because he beat us with his Furman team. Twice.

Until Sunday night, I hadn't seen that last play of Jacksonville State beating FSU. Good God, that was funny. Remember how they were "back" - just like Texas, right? But shit happens in football. As bad as last weekend was for NC State, we have to wash the stink off and do the best we can with what is in front of us. And the ACC - especially the Atlantic Division (for a change) - is hot garbage.

Dick Sheridan's Pack absolutely curb stomped Son de Clem, but a horrid loss (with Kramer injured) to a 2-7 Wahoowa squad meant finishing a half game behind the Tiggers for the ACC crown. We really only have come close one time, since.

Clemson is a lot better now, and we probably won't beat them this year. Or next. Or the year after that. But shit, can we at least get to 6 ACC wins? That sure would feel nice, like a ginger beer to settle the stomach. Fentiman's is the best one, by the way.

Has anyone here seen/heard about the Palladins on the football pitch? Because I am too lazy to scout the 1-AA level. Outsourcing! It's totes a thing!!

Running Out of Polling Ideas
  1. What are you drinking for NC State v. Furman?19 votes
    1. Beer
      31.58%
    2. The Hard Stuff
      15.79%
    3. Just Crack For Me, Thanks!
        5.26%
    4. Absinthe (I Need to Forget)
        5.26%
    5. Fentiman's!
        5.26%
    6. NyQuil
        0.00%
    7. Sommet Else
      36.84%

Comments

• jppackattackjppackattack Posts: 1,034

Mmmm, cupcakes. Worthy opponents for our wolfcrap suckball team. With Wilson and Fagan put for the year now, the defense will also suck. So we can look forward to both low point output by the wolfcrap combined with high points from our opponents. Season over after game 2 as usual. Don't think I'll waste my time watching anymore. But thanks for the write up King Hippo.

• TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 3,514PFN Referee
    edited September 13

Thanks for the write up, Hippo! Seems like a good spot for a "get right" game. Leary need to get right. I believe this may be a game where I only check in during commercial breaks while viewing a better matchup.

BTW hearing Payton Wilson out for the season. It's beginning.

• So you are saying that another furman win could result in a coaching change?

• KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 4,773PFN Referee

From The Athletic:

NC State suffered a humbling 24-10 loss at Mississippi State on Saturday, but the news got worse Monday when the team announced that two key starters, linebacker Payton Wilson and safety Cyrus Fagan, will be lost for the season due to injury.

Wilson, a redshirt sophomore, was a preseason All-ACC pick after leading the league with 108 tackles in only 10 games in 2020. He suffered the injury in the first half of the Mississippi State game and did not return. He was on the sideline in the second half wearing an air cast on his left arm.

Fagan, a transfer from Florida State, made his first start for the Wolfpack against Mississippi State. He played in 30 games with five starts in four seasons at Florida State. He has two years of eligibility at NC State.

The Wolfpack, 1-1, host Furman on Saturday.

(Photo of Wilson: Mark Konezny / USA Today)

What does the loss of Wilson mean for the Wolfpack?

Matt Fortuna, senior writer: Wilson is as tough as they come, having played through multiple shoulder injuries last season — which cost him spring ball in 2021 — and having suffered multiple serious knee injuries in high school and in his first year in Raleigh. He was a first-team All-ACC player last year and led the team in tackles for the second straight year, despite not even being a full-time starter in 2019.

Expectations were sky-high for the Wolfpack entering this season, but a tough outing at Mississippi State on Saturday coupled with the news Monday of losing arguably their best player has certainly taken a lot of air out of the balloon — especially with a tilt against Clemson coming up in just two weeks.

Sophomore Jaylon Scott is expected to replace Wilson.

• AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 4,067

Ouch and DOUBLE OUCH. Thanks for the article…

• SamIamSamIam Posts: 742

Ehhhh, I know nothing of Fagan but I don't exactly think Wilson's loss is as HUGE as everyone is making it out to be. Listen, it'll all be the same, our seasons go the same every year regardless of the personnel on the field. We'll be competitive against ClemPson, may beat Carolina, struggle against BC and lose to Wake at Wake. I mean, close the damn book, sit back and enjoy or experience the ride.

Tell me I'm wrong.

• oldwolfoldwolf Posts: 154

Cupcakes can be dangerous- just look to this past weekend - Jacksonville State and Holy Toledo

If the pack lost to Furman a few here would be homicidal. I was there myself about 12 years ago, I'm seasoned now. I'll be cautiously excited, the first loss will come and I'll settle in and get comfortable for the remainder of the season.

Look, this may not be the right thread for this but, losing at Miss State does not qualify us to now be the "suckpack" or "suckstate" or whatever other "suck" names they've been given on this site. The manor in which we lost is the same manor we routinely lose. Piss poor coaching and game management. That is what sucks and that is what has many already fishing out a hell of a lot of their tickets on re-sale sites.

• ryebreadryebread Posts: 3,032PFN Referee

SamIAm: HateFansNation was my favorite.

This is the ONLY NC State sports forum that I know of whose administrators aren't in some way "sucking off the teat" of the NC State athletics department. All the rest have some sort of "media" access that is giving them benefits, so you will see a consistent pattern of fluffing and toing the party line of whatever the administration is spitting out at the time. A strong correlation that I've seen is if they have a pay side, it's a business and the making sure there's "access" (and a non-hostile relationship with the Athletics Department) is a smart business decision.

Being separate from that machine lets us take some objectivity, which other sites then call negativity. It's a bit comical because I've called out the obvious conflict of interest and ridiculousness of the fluffing (including at one of the sites where I had posted for 20+ years). It's why at this point, most of my content is posted here.

Heck you'll see this latest "disappointment" and all the apologies. The excuses are already lined up if we "don't meet expectations" on the season related to injuries. The spin's been happening since the opening kickoff. The machine is in motion. It was just looking for a story.

I saw a the team wasn't ready to play, got popped in the mouth on the opening kickoff. The Pack still had a chance and won the first quarter statistically. Unfortunately they were still behind on the scoreboard and momentum in large part due to some horrendously bad red zone play calling and execution. From there they kind of rolled over and a fairly mediocre Miss State team had their way for the next 3 quarters until a garbage TD at the end.

Maybe that's objective. Maybe it is negative. You make the call. But to view it as a possibility is not to align with the AD's office that the Pack fans "just need to embrace it and keep on giving because Dave's going to get us there" or the Patience Christmas card or whatever nonsense is coming next.

To me there's a pattern of DD coached teams in big games and Miss State was just another. I wasn't disappointed (outside of for the kids that got hurt) because I never expected us to win. I picked "lose by 10-20" in BJD's poll. I'm sorry for those that feel like Charlie Brown trying to kick that football, but that was exactly the outcome I expected. Shrug.

DD is what he is. NC State is not committed to winning. He'll be here as long as he wants as long as he doesn't lose to UNC and ECU (again) in the same season. Look back in NC State football coaching history. A coach MIGHT survive that double whammy once, but it is only once and never twice. DD's already had his mulligan on that. He's avoided that possibility by taking ECU off the schedule. Typical Dave............just like Herb.

Rye, I completely agree. Look back on some of my ridiculous alcohol induced posts here. I've been that guy x2,000,000,000.

I think we are all just plain tired. Tired of EXACTLY what you just posted as everything you said was spot on. Objective, no....just plain facts. Our results are far too often painfully predictable and that again, at least from my viewpoint is 50% on DD and 50% on the administration allowing it. I can not stand that man's decisions but as you said, he's gonna be around.

• RickRick Posts: 3,072PFN Referee
    edited September 14

In a way I am glad we lost to MSU. Now I know not to watch any more games.

Frees up my time for more enjoyable things.

And I was perma banned from pp for my opinions. They do not like you to criticize the coaches.

edited September 14

No they do not. Nor do they like it if you criticize the athletics' department. And they REALLY don't like it if you call them out for the fluffing.

Wolfer's seemingly a good guy, but I don't think he's on the "media" side of that house. It's the James Hendersons, etc. (and they have a new crew since James went to his own site) paired with the "army of interns" snitches that monitor the site and report back to the Athletics Department. They all like to control the messaging and shape it towards whatever the athletics department wants.

And the Wolfpack Club is effectively complicit. They're hard working people that are doing yeoman's work because goodness knows they've got nothing really to sell, so I don't want to sound critical. As long as the money keeps flowing in, they're doing their jobs. While winning would help them, as long as the tailgate is good, the money will flow.

Nothing's going to change. State's under DD could go 4-8 or as high as 9-3.

This year looks like 8-4 to me, and that is IF the QB play improves. If it doesn't, we could end up 6-6. But if we end up 6-6, you'd better believe that the powers that be will be messaging "injuries."

I think Wilson's loss will be as equally impactful from the leadership standpoint, despite the fact we don't have anyone else with his ability and measurables playing LB. He's similar in that way to Ingle (at least we still have him, for now). It wouldn't be surprising to see Furman score 20+ this weekend simply due to a lack of motivation with Wilson not being there to set the example for the D on the field.

On the team side, I think we likely win 6 games and go to a bowl again and DD's job remains safe. Whoopie. At the same time, I bet Boo is Poo-ing his pants right now at the thought of a 4 or 5 win season and having to get off his duff to do something useful.

rye,

I am sorry but wolfer is a $%&#@. He is the one who banned me.

• I am realistic. I am not demanding the program be in the top 10 or playoff caliber. I just want to believe that there is a tiny chance that we can beat anyone on or schedule.

Under DD any mediocre or better p5 team will manhandle us. We have 0% chance of winning those games. Give me at least 1%. Is that asking to much?

• Fastback68Fastback68 Posts: 1,285

I was wondering why you disappeared. What exactly did you say? This is year #9. The athletic department doesn’t give a shifff.

Wow. I believe you, but that surprises me. In 20+ years I have never had a run in with him. Hendu and crew on the other hand were quick to be combative when things got off script.

It is not just that site though. All the ones that have media passes are basically the same, and it is doubly bad if they have a pay side.

Come on Fast. It is year 2.5 of Boo. And a good chunk doesn’t count because of COVID. :-/

He has banned me many times over the years for comments about the coaches to the point I quit even posting on the sports board. He has had a burr up his saddle about me. The perma ban was for a political post that frankly was not even that bad but I will not post what I said due to the political nature of it. He even bans any aliases I created. He has a serious power trip problem.

• Fastback68Fastback68 Posts: 1,285

It took a long time to figure the connection. Some of your political responses to 81, dk, 74 and little peen were hysterical by the way. Reminded me of the way foose carved people up.

Rye, there was a poster who did a nice job describing the adversarial nature of the administration versus students and alumni. Good for producing qualified graduates but not so good for people paying to watch state compete in the sport arenas. A lot of people do the bare minimum but not everyone. Boo is so invisible I don’t even know what to say. I’d give him kudos for the AD budget if there were real details. First it was a 50m deficit, then 35m, then 20-25 estimates due to covid. Did he really work tirelessly to save the day or did a handful of people come forward to fill the need on their own. Seems like a good number of the average folks chipped in. We never get enough detail of the behind the scenes but the field results have been bad for decades and speak for themselves.

• TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 3,514PFN Referee

What?! You mean to say I could be getting paid by Boo?!

Nah I don't think I could do it. This site does seem to have a collection of the "least goofy" posters from what I remember, however, I don't frequent the other pack sites at all anymore. I had no idea they were essentially controlling a narrative on the other sites though. That's not cool.

I am not sure I qualify for "least goofy" but am happy to be associated with the good posters on this site. I honestly feel like we are happy if slightly dysfunctional family.

Heartwarming story. I hope their time in Raleigh is enjoyable and memorable!

• If we are up 21+ in the 2nd half I do not want to see starters in "padding the stats". There are injuries in football therefore backups need playing time for experience.