Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

2021 NFL Season

TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 3,757PFN Referee

Season starts tonight.. the old man Brady continues the saga against the Jerry Jones Show with kickoff scheduled for 8:20pm.

Glad for meaningful NFL games to start.

Go Bills!

Comments

• Vawolf82Vawolf82 Posts: 1,350PFN Referee

Are you sure that a game that includes the Cowboys can be called "meaningful"?

(I kid....sort of)

At least SI predicts that the NFC East will be better than last year. (Which wouldn't be hard to accomplish.)

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/09/04/nfc-preview-predicted-order-of-standings

• TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 3,757PFN Referee

Good point Va.. this is probably end up being a tune-up game for Brady.. Cowboys having covid troubles too I think

• AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 4,404

They sure chased off the Thursday night NCAA Crowd. They have taken shelter on Friday night.

• KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 5,238PFN Referee

Glad I watched (muted, due to Brady ball gargling), his has been a pretty badass game.

• Did anyone else see Brady's Subway commercial where it looked like some sort of cologne ad?

It got pretty awkward when the the bread rise up and appeared as if a dildo was rising up.

Brady's face was priceless. Wow!

• maverick_ncsumaverick_ncsu Posts: 70
    edited September 10

What a game…ruined by the no offensive PI call on the last drive. The NFL just looks too obvious that it was handed to Brady and the Bucs that have already been coronated as 17-0. Just a shame that it was so easy to know something like that was going to happen on the last drive. Still a good game but a reminder at the end that the NFL can’t get out of its own way sometimes.

• Fastback68Fastback68 Posts: 1,473

Dallas couldn’t capitalize with the freebies so I retired at the half. Brady won, shocking.

Twill be interesting to see the final “viewers” numbers. Last year’s opening game was 20 million. The “Anthem” and the requirements for a social justice message on the helmets and the omission of a tribute to the 13 fallen soldiers MAY, but you never know, have had an impact. Guess we wait and see…..

I did not watch as I chose not to…. That is personal and not a solicitation to joint me or others. Sports without political or social agendas are what I plan to watch…..for the most part….but I will cross over from time to time and blank out any subliminal message…

• TexpackTexpack Posts: 3,991

I turned the channel when the song was announced. Always good when the Cowboys lose, but still discouraging to see that play pretty well.

• I turned it off and likely will not watch another NFL game all year. They showed the "Anthem" and all the players STANDING arm in arm. OK, a choice the NFL made and while I disagree I can accept. So I am waiting for 2 things - the tribute to the 13 and the real National Anthem (yes capitalized on purpose). When NBC cut away and did not show, I decided to cut away also.

• I'm sorry and I may get banned for this comment but I am curious. The NFL has clearly made a political statement, and it's their right to do so. But anyone who has played the game (any game) does not see black and white.

The teammates we line up with are our teammates. We played together as a unit, and we were brothers. We never let race get in the way of our bond together. There is no greater race unity than sports, and that's how it should be.

Yes George Floyd was a tragic situation, but also the exception and not the norm. For the NFL to sell out is also tragic. I will say it again, there is no greater race unity than sports.

edited September 10

I came from a small, but well recognized FB HS. it was integrated maybe 10 years after I left. I had cousins that played and there was some tensions for maybe a few years….but eventually you blocked for the uniform carrying the ball and not the color of the skin of the person wearing it. That was in a small town in lower Catawba county. By say, 1975, things were OK and there was an improvement.

The ratings this morning were up maybe 20% from 2020. Surprising to me. But each has to vote with their heart, conscious and “pocketbook”.

My personal opinion is that team comradeship is worse now…especially after the “Agenda” items….but you never know.

Always liked this site to tell me what games were going to be televised (for those poor saps like myself without NFL Season pass or RedZone). Just click the link for week 1 to see today's games.

Okay, think I've got a hack to watch any game I want.. so I don't have to suffer the Panthers Jets game here's what I did with my YoutubeTV subscription:

1. I installed an extension to my Chrome browser (Change Geolocation) found here.
    2. Got Buffalo New York long/lat coordinates from here.
    3. From the Geolocation extension "Options" page I entered those long/lat coordinates.
    4. Login to YoutubeTV from the same browser.
    5. From YoutubeTV profile settings there is an option to update location which I followed spoofing it to think I'm in buffalo.. and then had to indicate I was traveling.
    6. Now the TV Guide on YoutubeTV shows I have Pitt/Buffalo game.
    7. Enjoy not watching the Jets!

Another resource some posters may find interesting. Colin Cowherd has a pretty decent track record with his Blazing 5 Picks that he has done the past few seasons that I've followed his picks:

https://foxsportsradio.iheart.com/content/2021-09-10-blazing-five-colin-cowherd-gives-his-5-best-nfl-bets-for-week-1-sep-12/

Fabio vs DeShaun today! Oh wait.

Fabio with two INTs against a defense that only forced 7 TOs all season in 2020.

W loses, Bills losing, is beating the Jets really winning? Sad weekend for sports around here. State and Vols more Ls. I’m going to the cigar store. Faux victory smoke. Fake it till you Make it.

• RickRick Posts: 3,247PFN Referee

Did anyone watch the Aaron Rodgers interview? The one clip I saw made him look like a whiney baby

Finally I didn’t get stuck with NE or the donks for the 4pm game. KC and browns very entertaining.

Was an excellent game. Mahomie put up some nice numbers for my fantasy squad.

Strange…..VERY STRANGE!

Ex-NFL QB raises eyebrows with odd Jameis Winston tweets

Week 1 ratings up 7% from last year, 2nd highest overall in last 5 years (per The Athletic).

I haven't been a huge fan of Roger Goodell, but the whole firestorm of the last 2+ years seems to have been a re-birth of sorts, and I think the NFL has done a good job of balancing lots of delicate issues - while delivering a pretty consistently excellent sports product.

edited September 15

Have they honored the 13 fallen soldiers from the recent Afghanistan collapse yet? I honestly don't know? I haven't seen or heard that they have though. If they have not then to me that's kind of bizarre "stance" to take considering they've gone all out on other issues.

edit: BUT, I don't want to take this thread down that rabbit hole too far!

They did a nice, league-wide broadcast 9/11 rememberance