Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

Ask Not For Whom the Cowbells Toll (11 September 2021 MSU Game Thread)

KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 4,773PFN Referee

They just toll incessantly.

Not that I need to tell Peach Bowl (sometime early/mid 90s) attendees. Who else still has tinnitus?

But in all seriousness, this is a fascinating matchup. Mississippi State is the kind of interesting game I always wanted to see our Wolven Sort play more of. Someone different, in a place most of us haven't even visited. Another land grant/engineering/angry "little brother" state school.

As a tangent, this would be my initial 8 invites for a league of such similarly inclined folk:

NC State, Mississippi State, Purdue, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Purdue, Oregon State, Washington State

Y'all got any ideas, should we need to expand to 10 or 12? I suppose Michigan State, VPI, Louisville, and Iowa State? Not that anyone is handing me re-alignment powers anytime soon. But my mind wanders, as you know by now.

Wolven supporters will be feeling much more optimistic about winning in Starkville, after a very solid team display against South Florida. Yeah, maybe they suck. But 45-nil, despite some iffy quartered backing? Fuck a duck, I will take that any day.

It also bears mentioning that Cowbells supporters were good sports in the College World Series, standing up for the Pack Nine and properly shitting on Vanderbilt and their antics. In the stands, and on the diamond - preventing a very gross and very tainted Commodores title. Is God and/or Karma starting to pay attention to pay sportsball some attention? I sure hope so.

That said, I still have very little trust in our secondary. Clearly our achilles' heel (apart from having to play Clemson). Dread Pirate Mike Leach will test that, early and often. His system relies on quick and accurate passing, somewhat negating our strong pass rush and even stronger run defense. It will be both a schematic and personnel (um, SEC West, cough cough) challenge, that I hope we can meet. Regardless of the outcome, I am proud that we are giving it a go.

Going to Starkville (hopefully not the gas chamber)
  1. Percentage Chance of Wolven Victory?28 votes
    1. 0-20% (I expect a Deliverance-style kidnapping)
      14.29%
    2. 21-40%
      17.86%
    3. 41-50%
      25.00%
    4. 50.1-60%
      25.00%
    5. 61-80%
        3.57%
    6. 81-100% (I smoke crack)
      14.29%

Comments

• whitefangwhitefang Posts: 198

I have an office in north Mississippi. My VP of Engineering is an MSU grad (he’s also an Ole Miss grad - accounting, but hates them like we do the Cheats). It’ll be an incredibly difficult challenge. They’re a passionate bunch down there. It’ll be packed and loud. A true test of who we are.

I won’t be jinxing us with any bets, but I’m already getting calls.

• ryebreadryebread Posts: 3,032PFN Referee

I like the write up. I was at the Peach bowl cow bell game and absolutely loved how little noise there was AFTER that game.

Of course MSU steamrolled DD in a bowl game. I am hope he remembers that, is still smarting, and has the team ready. His Pack teams have not played well against any sort of decent team. Here’s a chance to prove we’ve turned a corner. Time for some revenge.

The game will be won or lost with the OL. Yeah, the corners need to play well, but the way to beat Leach is to run it down their throats AND be smart enough not to try the up tempo stuff. They win if it turns into a high pace track meet. The Pack wins if we rush for 200+, mixes in a nice play action game. I think Beck as OC gives us a better shot than Drink (or that abomination of a two headed monster) would have.

But I cannot stress this tempo thing enough. MSU is deeper and recruits better than State and Leach thrives in up and down games. That’s not a good team to go up tempo against. Yeah I get positional group substitution prevention, but the Pack under Beck really aren’t that multiple in formations and personnel. Take the air out of the ball (and I don’t mean to be predictable) and put a lot of pressure on that offense when it comes out.

• I haven’t looked at the line but there’s no way we walk out of Starkville with a win unless Leary is sharper and we see more Bam. DD has a history of trying to balance carries between Person and Bam, regardless of OC, but the latter is the more productive and illusive back and it’s not even close, pass blocking be damned. He should touch it 20+ in this game

I think we’re in for a rude awakening but hope to be pleasantly surprised

• PIRPIR Posts: 151

Great job on the thread title. I would applaud, but I bid farewell to arms.

• freshmanin83freshmanin83 Posts: 1,839PFN Referee
    edited September 4

Well no matter as the sun also rises, after a win or a loss, but of course the sun rising on a win is sweeter even than catching Marlin with the old man and the sea.

• TexpackTexpack Posts: 3,589

I think our point differential for the season will still be positive after the game. Not sure it will be double digits.

• jppackattackjppackattack Posts: 1,034

The '94 Peach Bowl was one of my favorite college memories. Don't expect a win, as our secondary continues to be the position group that worries me the most. Tough to win on the road at a place like Starkville. If you watched the VT-UNx game yesterday, the crowd impact will be on par with that.

• AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 4,067
    edited September 4

Davis Wade Stadium is a smidge larger than CF….61K…

EDIT UPDATE….

Skip Holtz’s lads from LA TECH are up 31-14 over Miss State. Has been 9 or 10 years since they had a SEC victory. Holtz is in his 9th, IIRC, year. He appears to have found a home….and today’s performance……assuming (it is almost Q4) will enhance his tenure.

OK….still have 17 minutes to edit.

MISS STATE launched two drives. Scored TWICE and now up by UNO. Their D has stymied the juggernaut O of LA TECH. About 3 minutes to go and LA TECH a will get the kickoff.

Might be a blessing for us, but difficult to pull against a Holtz….

• KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 4,773PFN Referee

Skippy doing a good. He found his job fit.

FUCK, this ain't likely good for us, though. Overconfident Pack, pissed off Cowbells (with a legitimately insane coach).

Speaking of Peach Bowls, La Tech might be doing an us v. EZU bit of self-harm here. NEVAR unclench early.

Over. Short FG. MISS ST sets new comeback record. FG WAY short. It is what it is. At least the SUPER MOTIVATIONAL practices will be less intense

Holtz and lads fro LA TECH squandered a lead……

• We need to win this game for the weak ACC.

Fuck the ACC, but I still hope we win. 😜

• TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 3,514PFN Referee

I think we'll lose but I think it'll be a "good game"

Good thing that David did not have a “moral victory”, but a physical loss. I guess we see….I ain’t betting on it..

Yeah, this is unbettable either way.

• jppackattackjppackattack Posts: 1,034

You best believe it won't be easy. Hopefully our new found secondary depth will pay off because those dudes are going to be running a lot. I bet Leach has them throw it 60+ times, maybe 70. Key to the game night be how much pressure our d line and linebackers can get on their QB. I expect our o line and Bam and Day-umn! to do their thing. Also this will be a 4+ hour game no doubt, which I absolutely loathe.

• MikePack89MikePack89 Posts: 263

My hope - people often say you see the most improvement between the 1st and 2nd (either games or years) and my hope is we see a vast improvement in the secondary between the 1st and 2nd games.

Yes USF had some open receivers but the hope is first game jitters, missed assignments etc and these are worked out this week in practice. It's one thing to practice even at full speed, but still nothing like game speed.

Obviously, we could return to the secondaries of years past but I am optimistic we will see better and improved.

• Pack78Pack78 Posts: 818

We will win-also, having lived 5 years in the Sunflower State back in the day, add K-State to your league-their party street in Manhattan was called Aggieville...they heard the same shite from KU that we do from that diploma mill to Raleigh's west.

• TexpackTexpack Posts: 3,589

The absolute key to beating Leach is tackling in the secondary. You have to limit the yac. The other thing we need is 275 yards on the ground and 35+ minutes of TOP.Cautiously pessimistic.

oh snap, no idea how I forgot K State!

• Happy to see the left side of the O Line killing it. Hopefully they can repeat against a P5 team. Eating the clock can be a huge factor.

Yep. The DBs have to make tackles, and we have to control the time of possession by running the ball. Ram it down their throats and mix in a little play action and we have a shot.

Add K-State, Iowa State, Michigan State, Auburn, Arizona State and TAMU to the list as well. TAMU grads have a bigger inferiority complex than almost any school I have ever run across. They'll tell you up and down how they're better than anyone else on the planet (including MIT) but just mention Texas-Austin and it's like you've stolen their lunch money.

The runner ups have to be Auburn with K-State to place.

• SamIamSamIam Posts: 742

I detest the SEC (really don't give two shits about the ACC considering the sucking of UNC). That being said facts are mid level ACC teams, State being one, don't have the speed, talent or coaching we're going to CONTINUE to find in SEC opponents. I really, really hope I am wrong but I see a drumming a comming.