Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

Just in: Alliance in the works between Big Ten, PAC-12 and ACC Conferences

freshmanin83freshmanin83 Posts: 1,839PFN Referee
edited August 15 in Wolfpack Sports

"An alliance is reportedly in the works between a number of Power Five conferences as a response to the incredible rise of the SEC in the past month. Per the scoop released Friday, the Big Ten, Pac-12 and ACC conferences are looking to collaborate"

https://www.outkick.com/big-ten-pac-acc-sec/

Comments

• PIRPIR Posts: 151

Can we call our collaboration The Allies and the SEC The Axis?

• ryebreadryebread Posts: 3,032PFN Referee

Pretty much sums it up. Unfortunately the ACC is stuck playing second fiddle to the SEC for quite some time due to that terrible TV deal. I said it at the time and still believe that the ACC should have tried to go with NBC that round. It would have made the marriage with ND much easier.

• whitefangwhitefang Posts: 197

Saw that this morning. While my sports watching has really shrunk the last several years, I’ve been intrigued by the latest conference realignment, and the possible fallout scenarios.

If this story is true and there’s some real “meat” behind the talks, they may be deciding who gets whom from the remaining Big 12 teams. Could also force Notre Dame’s hand to join the ACC - or the Big 10 perhaps with some ACC “payoff”? A “scheduling alliance” between the 3 conferences could really reduce available games for independents, especially if the 3 go to 16 teams and don’t “pod.”

• TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 3,514PFN Referee

Sound like a damn Big Brother episode 😂

• KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 4,773PFN Referee

There's nothing anyone can do to even slow down the SEC's move into the Sudetenland - except immediately holding an expanded playoff that excludes them.

Any other moves are purely pissing into the gale-force wind.

^ What about “blocking” the playoff expansion and keeping it to 4 teams? While many of us believe ultimately expanding to 16 teams is the way to go, holding at 4 seriously reduces Texas and Ok’s chances of making the playoffs with a tougher SEC schedule. Also perhaps pressures ND to join a conference, hopefully ours.

• Fastback68Fastback68 Posts: 1,285

So 2 conferences ignoring each other, no crossover matchups and their own playoffs and championships is a future possibility.

• MarkMark Posts: 4
    edited August 15

Sure, like the old AFL/NFL and then we can have a college Super Bowl.

• turkeydanceturkeydance Posts: 258

or the Old MLB,

then a World Series.

• SamIamSamIam Posts: 742

Instead of teaming up with the other losers of the college football world we should've teamed up with the SEC and led the charge to disobey and eventually rid ourselves of the NCAA

• ^ The SEC already has Arkansas, Vandy, a very troubled Tennessee, a somewhat average South Carolina. It has appeared that the SEC doesn’t feel a strong urge to get into the NC tv market.

• SamIamSamIam Posts: 742

I was referring to the conference, ACC, not NC State. If anyone ever said the SEC wanted us they are complete idiots.

• FriedOkraFriedOkra Posts: 35

TV contracts, expansion, money, greed.... what could go wrong?

Nascar did the same thing about 25 years ago. Once you go down that road you can't come back.

• Pack78Pack78 Posts: 818

So its the Alliance (ACC, B1G, Pac-12) vs. the Empire (SEC)...came out OK when Lucas did it!

• turkeydanceturkeydance Posts: 258

does that make ESPN the Death Star?

• 1984Met1984Met Posts: 1,076

Who is the emperor? (Nick Saban?)

How about Darth Vader? (Wish I could throw Mack Brown under the bus but unfortunately he is on the Alliance side. Wish Texas would make that phone call again!)

The list goes on :-) .

• jppackattackjppackattack Posts: 1,034

Arise, ye non-southern forces, amass all yer might and power and unleash the fury of a thousand teams of football mediocrity toward the despicable enemy of the south and east. We shall overcome them with sheer volume in order to secure one or two playoff spots per season!

• KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 4,773PFN Referee

I would caution the SEC about the last Southern secession effort, but then again...they DOES have Kentucky this time.

• jppackattackjppackattack Posts: 1,034

Will Klempson end up in the SEC? What about FSU? Oklahoma State?

My guess on Clemson is not unless the media rights clause gets challenged and kicked in court. Big $s to leave ACC otherwise. Ditto FSU but even then Florida would probably raise hell, much like TA&M did, and Fla may carry a bigger stick. OK State no IMO. They add very little “value.”

• Fastback68Fastback68 Posts: 1,285

If you can’t beat the SEC and can’t join the SEC, how do you balance the uneven money scale that exists between the SEC and other conferences. Isn’t there $1 billion dollars up for grabs over March Madness. The Alliance holds their own March Madness and the SEC goes and has their mini conference championship. The Alliance negotiates with the minor conferences and takes one or two teams from each. That’s 15 million each for the 64 participants or 7.5 million for all the alliance teams 128.

Desparate men do desperate things. I hope college sports doesn’t get blown up in the process of change but it could happen. How would you level the money field? One way is to isolate the SEC. Then the mediocre teams of the SEC might decide to go join the alliance.

• RickRick Posts: 3,072PFN Referee

The Alliance having their own bball championship is an interesting idea. It would have the double pleasure of screwing the NCAA.

Maybe I am wrong but we might be seeing the death knells of the NCAA. That could be my biased against the pure evil that is the NCAA

edited August 25

This made me chuckle… because a joke is funny because there’s always some truth in it…

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2021/08/big-ten-acc-pac-12-alliance