Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

Where were YOU 52 Years AGO? Hint….a LOT of us were glued to a TV @ 4:17 EST…

I was just starting my second year of my first job after Graduation in 1968. We were living in NE PA and had nary a clue that DW was 2 -3 weeks PG….but it was planned. We spent the afternoon and evening and way into the early hours watching the unfolding events….at a friends apartment below ours on their Color TV….

Comments

• Pack78Pack78 Posts: 786

Never forget it-also the weekend of Chappaquiddick!

• 1984Met1984Met Posts: 987

I don't remember seeing it on TV until later. Think our TV burnt out from a lightning strike and my parents could not afford to get another until the late '70s sometime. May have seen it at my grandparents' home but just don't remember (was only eight years old at the time). Do remember hearing some of the coverage on the radio while working in a tobacco field.

• TexpackTexpack Posts: 3,491

Watched it at my Grandmother’s house in Atlanta. There was virtually zero crime in America that night as even the criminals marveled at the accomplishment. I live amongst the NASA Nerds that work at JSC. Deke Slayton lived in my neighborhood when we moved in here 31 years ago. Space still carries a lot of weight in this little corner of America but the interest in it is fading fast most places. The Moon landing will always rank as one of the most important events of my lifetime. It was an incredible accomplishment.

• Vawolf82Vawolf82 Posts: 1,208PFN Referee

Watched it at my Grandmother’s house 

Same here.

Texpack,

I think Deke Slayton lived near the National Weather Office and came over one time when I was working. Did (or do) you live between Dickinson and League City?

Of course, I may be confusing him with someone else.

• YogiNCYogiNC Posts: 582

Oconee State Park. 9" B&W. Remember like it was yesterday.

• whitefangwhitefang Posts: 158

11 years old at Camp Pinnacle in the NC mountains watching it on a small B&W in the camp cafeteria with a bunch of other kids and counselors. In the 4 summers or so I spent time there, only TV I ever saw in the camp. So as children we understood this was a big deal.

As far as grandmothers, I remember my grandmother, who I loved dearly, never believing this actually happened even up until she passed 20 years ago. Arguing with her was useless. “Bible says 4 corners of the Earth.”

• TexpackTexpack Posts: 3,491

South Shore. He lived right near the neighborhood swimming pool when we moved in here in 1990. Don’t know where he went after that.

• Fastback68Fastback68 Posts: 1,212

I was almost 3 and smoking a Lucky Strike behind the garage.