Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

Happier Thoughts - Your Irrationally Intense Wolven Favourite

KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 4,601PFN Referee

Not your favourite overall - but the sentimental choice, that you loved way more than was logically justified.

For me - Curtis Marshall. He suffered through some terrible Les Robinson squadrons along with me. But at least he LOOKED like he was suffering, with all the losing. Too many guys on those Les squadrons just kind of seemed to roll with it.

Comments

• GasHouseGangstaGasHouseGangsta Posts: 906

C. C. Harrison. We were terrible his entire 4 years but dude put a shellacking on UNC in the Dean Dome, and at 6'5 was always playing defense against bigger guys. Love me some Clint

• whitefangwhitefang Posts: 158

GHG, Wow! CC Harrison. I have to tell the story of that memory here AGAIN. Sorry…

Background: Early in 1998 I was EVP of a large furniture manufacturing company with a major operation in NC. Our CEO was a UNC grad, very connected to Carolina, and actually a great guy. The UNC chancellor at the time was Michael Hooker. My CEO arranged for me to give Hooker a factory tour, and Hooker and I hit it off with some good State-Carolina ribbing. Then he invited me to the State-UNC game Feb 21. Said I’d have 2 tickets waiting at will-call. I mentioned it to my oldest son, 13 yo, and he immediately insisted we go. He was a sports nut, and a really good young athlete. I was trying to talk him out of it since I believe UNC was ranked #1 at the time, and knew we’d be getting a beat down. But I acquiesced.

Early that Saturday morning my son walked in the den ready to go. Red State sweatpants on, State sweatshirt, and red State hat. Tried to talk him into toning it down. Maybe just the hat. He was having none of it. Shaking my head and dreading punching some drunk UNC homer who might say something to my son, I reluctantly drove the 2-1/2 hours to Chapel Hole.

Tickets were there and we were seated in the faculty and guest section. Then State, of course, played like we were #1, and kicked the Tarbabies asses as you know. CC smoked those All-Americans. Son cheered obnoxiously the whole game, but the UNC fans around were actually enjoying his antics - laughing and smiling. He was an enthusiastic kid. 

With a couple minutes to go the game was obviously over, and I said we should leave and head on back west since we had a couple of hours. He said NO we weren’t leaving until the horn sounded. When it did he stood up, stuck his arms straight up, and screamed “YES!!!!”

On the way out the more modestly dressed State fans hidden among the crowd kept running up and high-fiving him.

I lost my son 15 years ago next month while he was a student at UVa to the same disease Michael Hooker succumbed to the year after that great day in 1998. Thanks for the memories and the indulgence to tell the story again. Wiping my eyes but with a smile on my face.

• RickRick Posts: 2,980PFN Referee

Fang,

Its a bit dusty in here. Great story and sorry about your son.

• GsoPackBackerGsoPackBacker Posts: 1,391

Fang,

I appreciate you sharing that story. Reminds me of so many good times with my kids at State games.

I'd put CC right up there alongside Bryant Feggins. Impressive for his fighting back after being shot.

Great story, fang.

Favorite C. C. Harrison quote: “You know, I just had to get off.” Interview after a big game, possibly the UNC beat down.

• Vawolf82Vawolf82 Posts: 1,208PFN Referee

Jamie Barnette. I thought he was one of the toughest QB's that I've ever watched.

i hope Barnette can still walk. He took a pummeling

My all time favorite player is Lorenzo but not for the same reason as most.

Around 1992 I was playing basketball with two friends on a court over behind King Neptunes on Western. I was playing against a rather large individual and was having surprising success considering I am 6'2". I steal the ball from him, run down the court and hit a three. From that moment forward he abused me and scored at will . After the game my buddy said "why did you piss off Lorenzo Charles, he was taking it easy on you". He had gained a lot of weight so I did not recognize him. But the thought of him letting me do well until I took advantage brings a smile to my face every time.

I also have a soft spot for Cameron Bennerman and Tim Wells. For me, these guys were the ones that more than anything symbolized the futility of the Sendek experiment. Wells was a big contributor, his junior year, I think, a guy that had really come along. But then Sendek hardly played him his Sr year, and didn't even start him on SR day if I recall correctly. Bennerman was a kid that deservedly needed some work and development early in his career; he was raw and athletic, probably turned over the ball too much to play as a 2 or 3. But then you could see that the light bulb had really gone off and everytime he was in the game, something special happened. Wasn't special enough for Sendek, though.

I enjoyed Cam Bennerman. Devon Daniels has some of those same traits (good AND bad) too.

• K9inTNK9inTN Posts: 3

Long time stalker. Fang’s story caused me to come out of the shadows. Wow, what a story! Thanks for sharing, Fang. It really touched me. Just when the NCAA, ACC, and sometimes our administration causes me to want give up and stop paying attention, I read a story like that to remind me why I love college sports and the Wolfpack.

• 89BABS89BABS Posts: 103

Todd Fuller

• AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 3,858

WhiteFang,

My thanks for also sharing a story about college rivalries that don't end up in the court room or having ill feelings about refs and such. I also admire your courage and thank you for sharing some of the precious moments that you and your family had with your late son. I don't think that I have the personality to get beyond such a devastating turn of events....and my hat's off to you. Every once and a while, your personality and your posts raise the bar....and this one did.

My wife tells me that I have been in the Dean Dome for concerts and quite frankly, I really can't recall but one... Billy Joel's River of Dreams....the concert where he was broke as his ex wife's brother was his "Financial Manager" and robbed him blind. She tells me that I went to some others there and they are just "not in my memory banks". She and my daughter and my BIL and his wife went to see State play in the UGLY years. Her boss had a block of prime seats (courtesy of his contacts and his company's donations).....I was in Mexico.... My daughter was pregnant with our GS, so the game must have been in 2003....or maybe with our grand daughter in 2006. She still remembers the game. There was MORE RED than BLUE. She did attend the River of Dreams concert, but the BLUE pagentry stuck out. She went home and told her (Now Ex) Husband, a UNC grad, that she was never gonna let her baby be raised a Tarheel fan....Maybe that was a sign of impending marital discord...

The other funny was many years later, we attended TWO games in Keenan. One was the famous "Did or DID NOT his knee touch the ground?". This game was also courtesy of her boss who was disillusioned.... The other game was on a hot fall afternoon and we got our Keenan tickets through the WPC. Not very good seats.....like our 5 row, 50 Yard of before.

It was hot and DW was all hot....when she sweats, the Heavens tremble and GOD if fearful. SO, I dutifully trudged down Harrelson Hall stairs or whatever and had to potty and got her a hot dog and a big COKE. When I got up there, I noticed that the other State fans were on a first name basis with her. There was a UNC couple a few rows back and the Lady had a mouth and an attitude that many of the political organizers and groups were covet. She was constantly complaining about the refs. She got on DW's last nerve and DW stood up and turned around and with her hands on her hips said. Lady, you are obnoxious. You are the type of fan that State sings "go to Hell, Carolina" about. The other fans cheered and all had a good laugh. The hubby (and it gets sketchy) either had to restrain his bawdy potty mouthed mate OR (maybe both), beat a hasty retreat with her and NEVER came back.

The standing joke is that I can not taker her to another Keenan game as there may be security footage and she would be arrested.

GOOD THREAD....we need something positive....

L

• TexpackTexpack Posts: 3,491

Marcus Melvin. The buzzer beater against Houston was so sweet in person. He was the heart and soul of Herb’s best team.

Cozell McQueen- my fellow South Carolinian.

• ryebreadryebread Posts: 2,980PFN Referee

That story from whitefang was powerful. Nothing I can type deserves to be in the same thread as that.

I was going to say Marcus Melvin, with a secondary nod to Todd Fuller with Jamie Barnette rounding out the trifecta. Seems like I am not alone.

• PackPACPackPAC Posts: 579

Lakista McCuller, pretty good player on some pretty bad teams but a nice dude. Had Freshman English with him, actually came to class and did the work. Still spoke when I would see him on campus in his later years.

• jppackattackjppackattack Posts: 947

You beat me to it. He was a warrior. They don't make them like that anymore. Damon Thornton was fun to watch. Fuller was the quintessential student athlete. Remember when the Cameron Crazies chanted "4 point oh!" at him? Also, Danny Strong.

• KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 4,601PFN Referee

oh my, still not over that charge/technical combination call (against Thornton) that completely turned a huge win into yet another agonizing loss. One of the rare times when I will blame an official directly for changing the outcome.

• KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 4,601PFN Referee

From 1983, Terry Gannon. I didn't get tall until the back end of my junior year of HS, so I identified with the sleight Gannon.

Loved how he made all his FTs (remember after Dean's technical at Reynolds? Seemed like he shot for days), never met a shot he didn't like, and his (albeit dubiously whistled) charge he drew against Drexler was the unsung play of the final.

Like Rick, Lorenzo Charles, but for different reason than the 83' championship. The following year, i was at the ACC tournament as a kid staying at the same place as the team. I think it was at the Omni, can't remember, but we were eating lunch or dinner and the team was there. I went up with a napkin and pen in hand to get autographs of Spud, Lo, and a handful of guys. Lo was the first to sign. "Little man, what room number you staying in?" "We're going to come down and trash you up tonight!" Stayed up hoping for a knock...

Damon Thornton...bumped into him in Raleigh many times. Met his kid, little Damon. One time, he was giving private basketball lessons on an outdoor court. I had my oldest, who was 2 or 3 at the time with me. DT picked him up and let him on his shoulders so he could shoot on a 10ft goal for about 30 minutes while we chatted hoops. Always friendly every time I've run into him. The same goes to Cliff Clawford who I used to bump into at Amedeos regularly

• ryebreadryebread Posts: 2,980PFN Referee

On topic, Melvin was probably the most under utilized player of the Sendek era. That guy could score from anywhere and had the ball handling skills of a guard. The Herb wanted to keep him in a day tight compartment.

• TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 3,390PFN Referee

Incredible story, fang.

• TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 3,390PFN Referee

Welcome K9inTN! Hope to see you around more!

Kenny Inge is running a 3on3 basketball league, basketball training and AAU teams in Wake Forest. He is really good with the kids which cracks me up given he was "Mr Mean" on the court. My daughter has been playing in his 3v3 league.