Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

Coach K retiring after this season - Jon Scheyer named replacement

RickRick Posts: 2,980PFN Referee
edited June 2 in Wolfpack Sports

Scheyer (the crier) leading candidate to replace him. Another missed opportunity because if we had a good coach we could make some inroads. Sadly we will flounder around and miss the window.

Comments

• GsoPackBackerGsoPackBacker Posts: 1,391

Yep, looks like a done deal to me. Can't say goodbye fast enough for me.

• skitchwolfskitchwolf Posts: 123

I can't help but remember that V and K came into the ACC very close together. I wonder how V would have stacked up if he'd been allowed to stay at State and had lived to do so? Hmmm . . . Anyway, Coach K has clearly earned his accolades and his retirement. I think I noted in the thread about ORW's retirement that K and Boeheim couldn't be far behind given both their ages and the new realities of college basketball - i.e.: you can spend tons of time and resources recruiting some kid and then he can walk away immediately when he thinks his PT is not up to par. I just couldn't picture successful old-school coaches like those three trying to re-learn everything just to stretch out their careers for a few more years - and I don't blame them one bit! Good luck Coach K (except against State, of course) and enjoy your retirement!

• RickRick Posts: 2,980PFN Referee

V would have been the king of social media. He would have been a household name.

He had his weaknesses as a coach but they were more than offset by his fabulous strengths. I am not sure K would have ended up being K if he had had to fight against V.

• GasHouseGangstaGasHouseGangsta Posts: 906

V would've ruled the one and dpone market, ala Calapari, and we would have better Italian food in Raleigh

• Fastback68Fastback68 Posts: 1,212

I thought vampires were lifers.

• Pack78Pack78 Posts: 786

Probably just wants to get two more against the Cheats...

• TexpackTexpack Posts: 3,491

V was 11-7 all time against K. I watched them both arrive in the Triangle and struggle to get their footing. Sloan left V with a lot more talent that Foster left K. He had to rebuild, plus he had a definite style he was going to play and recruit to.

What he did for V when he was dying earns him respect as a person from me even though the Duke program is as flush with $$$ to players as any. Duke was always my second favorite ACC team as a kid so I really wanted K to do well. He’s had a good ride. I look for Vitale’s obit by the end of the month.

• AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 3,858

V and K were both 1980 hires….so, when K rides out next year, he will have a 42 year tenure. I think that surpasses Methuselah at Cuse…

• turkeydanceturkeydance Posts: 239

"I thought vampires were lifers."

K was Rosemary's other baby.

• TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 3,390PFN Referee

Updated thread title since it is confirmed. End of an era.

• ryebreadryebread Posts: 2,980PFN Referee

My DBR buddy sent me the same. It is seemingly done. I guess Stevens told them no.

My wife went to Duke, but I still hate the rat. That’s about as dirty of a program as there is. I respect his results, appreciate that for a small window of time he was a decent man to a dying legend, but won’t shed a tear when he is gone.

Here’s the window we have talked about for years. I wish we were better positioned, but sadly it is UVA that is.

• AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 3,858

Did a little googling this morning. My suspicions were that Mikey was gonna pull the pin right after this lackluster season ended. Duke was scrambling to come up with the proper way to end the 42 year run.

I finally found the link where the Duke Drama And Athletics Department received a LARGE grant or donation from Netflix. Peter Morgan will be a “Guest Lecturer” for the 21-22 “season” as part of that arrangement.

He will be in charge of each of the “Kiss My Ring” ceremonies at EVERY Duke game….and Duke has negotiated all away games to also require a lavish production.

ESPN is in negotiations with Netflix and Jay Bilas’ agent is balking as there is too much emphasis on Mikey rather than Jay. Rumors of Bobby Knight’s many cameo appearances have social media in an uproar and there may be some repercussions…..developing.

Peter Morgan, Executive Producer of The Crown, will be in charge of each of the individual ceremonies. Each one will be a “one of a kind” event. No word on his interim replacement or whether The Crown production will be delayed or shutdown.

More on this as it develops…

• choppack1choppack1 Posts: 2,578

I don’t know if I buy that. Both coaches started at the same time. V’s conference record when he was forced out was 71-69. Coach K’s was 76-64. Coach K had been to 4 of the last 5 final 4s.

The truth is while V was doing his own talk show and enjoying the spotlight Coach K was building the most successful program since John Wooden’s UCLA program.

I do think that V has realized that he needed to focus on his program more in the last few years. This is evident in the back to back 10-4 seasons before his final season.

The game in the 90s became dominated by defense and physical play. Coach K did a great job changing with the times, but his focus on the 1 and done probably resulted in the last few years being less consistent than they would have been in the model that he used to develop his program into a powerhouse.

What would have happened with V in the next 10 years? Would he have ended like Cremins who when the game changed (and his recruiting pipelines dried up) saw his program go south? Would he have ended up like Boeheim? He continued to be pretty solid.

Would he even have remained at NC State? More questions than answers when talking about V.

edited June 3

Of course there are more questions than answers. V coached 30 years ago so it is all supposition. IMO V was the best coach I have ever seen at adapting to in game situations and he was a fantastic recruiter.

IMO he was back to being focused on coaching and would have adjusted to whatever happened. But who knows maybe he quits and starts his own talk show. I just wish we could have seen it happen as I guarantee it would have been fun to watch.

Yeah - if you want to look at what a sad sack our 2 flagship sports have become, just remind yourself - V and Sheridan were forced out when their program was gaining momentum.

• ryebreadryebread Posts: 2,980PFN Referee

+1 to this. Sadly a lifelong love of the Wolfpack was created during the V/Sheridan years. If I knew then what I know now…

^ Ain’t that the truth. Holy cow.

• KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 4,601PFN Referee

As The Athletic noted, the center of ACC hoopsball gravity is now in Hooville and Tallahassee.

Better than Durham and Chapel Hole, I guess. But still annoying af that we missed this window.

edited June 4

Here’s me wondering how State fans would tolerate a first 6 years without an NCAA bid (Hamilton) or the ugly style of basketball combined with mediocre record of first 4 years of Bennett (1 NCAA bid in first 4 years.)

We have tolerated pretty close to this for 30 years

• TexpackTexpack Posts: 3,491

Hamilton was in his fourth season before any of the FSU donors knew they had a basketball team

• KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 4,601PFN Referee

I think it was always fair to expect it to take longer to build in apathetic Tallahassee than in West Raleigh.

UVA is, in my view, similar in terms of timeline plus expectations. 1 in 4 would be fine here, but you have a point re aesthetics.

Doesn't KK have one bid in 4 years?