Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

Gas shortage

TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 3,390PFN Referee

Yo! Where's the spot to fill up in the triangle.

Comments

• HighstickHighstick Posts: 444PFN Referee

I haven't run into a shortage yet, but prices are going up.

• AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 3,859

Field report. No lines yesterday in Costco in Myrtle Beach. No lines in convenience marts and such on way back NC 410 & SC 701. Went through a lot of rural areas.

Stopped at Costco in Apex to fuel the Yukon around 3:30. BUSY. But there was a Kenan truck leaving. Different today.

I have squirreled away 40 or so gallons of ethanol free for the small engines and Genny. Stabilized it last December and more in February. Now blending in the older Ethanol free on a 50/50 ratio. Been doing that for years and top off the final tank with a can of Techron. Engines run OK…no codes or injector or mileage issues.

BUT…me thinks that there will be some repercussions within the next few weeks. This will impact, potentially, the supply chains for the supermarkets and such. TP is slated to go up and we will see other commodities follow. Some of my prepper friends are changing their inventory from 3 months to 6 months. There was a concern about meds during the pandemic and supply chains as well as manufacturing logistics. Don’t know…

My neighbor said he was stir crazy and is leaving for St. Pete tomorrow. He said he had a 40p mile cruising range…and would fake it along the way. He ordered a new Benz a few years ago and it was supposed to be delivered in early April. It will hit the assembly line in two weeks. CHIPS….

The Gas Buddy App one time showed availability. I use that when in the MH for fueling and also savings as I typically pump 60 gallons. The APP has an internal server error now and even removing and reloading did not correct. Don’t know if the “they got fuel” option has been added back

• Pack78Pack78 Posts: 786

The runs on gas have started here in Union County south of Charlotte...lotsa pumps that were running this AM now have bags over 'em.

• TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 3,390PFN Referee

tracker.gasbuddy.com from your desktop/laptop seems to be working.. and it doesn't look pretty. Guess I'll park my behind in the house for a few more days at least so I don't burn up the little bit of fuel we have.

• choppack1choppack1 Posts: 2,578

I can’t decide if it’s a case of people panicking and filling up their tank or if it’s a diminished supply with average demand.

• GasHouseGangstaGasHouseGangsta Posts: 907

^all of the above. Commuter population in urban areas that’s now back working onsite is filling up.

I’m not worried. Might see some moderate jump in commodities but I expect fuel shortages to rectify by early next week

Stats (compiled by gasbuddy so take that for what it's worth) stated on Monday demand was up 40% higher than usual. If it is demand at some point soon everyone's tanks are going to be full at the same time so demand I would think would subside in a day or two.

edited May 12

Right on both counts. There was a blip or an interruption but under normal demand, it was not that serious. Then the media and the Governor wanted clicks and they exacerbated the situation

I read some statistics where you would have shutdowns and shortages if every driver or the majority went from 3/8 tank to 3/4+. The fact that the pickup is now a “family” car and we have do many full size SUV that a shift in tank management philosophy would trigger a supply chain issue

EDIT

very good summation of the situation plus data and opinion by GasBuddy

• MikePack89MikePack89 Posts: 248

Was in SC for work - I had about 1/4 tank left and most places in Greenville were out. Driving back to CLT for the night, every QT station on the 85 parking lot had empty price signs (meaning no gas). I knew I could make to CLT but no way I could get back to Raleigh tomorrow night without some go-go juice.

Stopped at one place that actually had gas, but had a $10 limit. 3 gallons not going to cut it. Another exit went 0-3, and another exit 0-2. Finally found an exit near Gaffney - first 2 stations nothing. Drove a little further into town (away from interstate) and found a place packed but no waiting line. Filled up and can come home after my meetings tomorrow in CLT.

Out for dinner tonight, line blocking south Tryon for blocks with cars waiting to get into station. Crazy for sure.

• GsoPackBackerGsoPackBacker Posts: 1,391

Reminds me of the toilet paper shortage last year.

Sounds like it’s mostly panic buying, exasperated by a reduced supply. In other words, we would be fine if people weren’t filling up every gas can they can find in their shed.

• TexpackTexpack Posts: 3,492

The really interesting thing for me is the ransom ware attacks. My impression is that having all virtual servers leaves people terribly exposed because once their systems have been hacked the bad guys can corrupt the back up systems as well. Maybe some of you IT types can explain how this really works. It’s a fascinating risk calculation that more and more companies need to make.

• 1984Met1984Met Posts: 987

Seems to me that something that important should not be cloud based.

Simple explanation. Originally there was Malware or a malicious virus that you had on a PC. Then you would get the DOOM SCREEN. Your computer had been hacked. You had to PAY Ransom for the KEY to access or unencrypt your PC. I remember that a friend that died in the summer of 2017. He was an Engineer and quite sharp (designed torpedo propulsion system) that was "attacked and held hostage" circa late 2014 or maybe 2015. He DID not pay the ransom. He had a backup of his machine (a complete MSFT Mirror Image) on an external hard drive. That is when I became aware of it.

The Security folks, and I am generalizing, on the "Consumer" end started to include checks for known "Ransomware" in their products. This would be Norton or Kaspersky or Avast. Eventually, I THINK that the Windows Defender (VERY SKETCHY) had some built in safeguards.

It was not a headline grabber. Then maybe a year or maybe two years ago, these "back alley" individual hackers started to get organized. Eastern Europe and "Asia" were where they were based. The payments that the consumers made were via Credit Cards and there was a loophole where you could not dispute the charge.

Some of the hackers would actually demand that you let them photograph a blank check from your account via your PC's camera. I had a retired school teacher in Richmond get hacked (YOUR COMPUTER IS AT RISK....CLICK) The online chat person then convinced her to take off the tape from her MacBook's camera and then hold up a blank check....and commented on her looks and bossom. OPPS....that is when it hit her...

She killed the account on Monday.

BUT...the Organized Crime (Russian Mafia) got more sophisticated. They penetrated networks. They picked on hospitals and municipalities and such as these folks did not want the publicity (Medical Privacy and such) and often paid the ransom.

There are millions of ways that the malware gets in....a machine (like a laptop) or your home PC that has access to the network can have a document that has a hidden script. I know friends that got a seemingly innocent Word document and when it opened, it backdoored and their machine was infected. That is what gets the hacker into the company or Organization's machine.

There is an ongoing negotiation between the DC Metro PD and the DarkSide. The DC's files are locked up and the DarkSide is or will reveal the names of confidential informants, Personnel files of cops with issues (Drugs, Sexual advances, Excessive force, etc),.... names and addresses of all personnel....you name it. That is small potatoes to the Colonial Pipeline situation.

All Networks are at risk...even with the most stringent precautions. I THINK that the new version is to lock up the Servers so that you have to do a total REFORMAT and then reinstall....and there is NO safeguard that if you have a day old backup and reinstall, then the malware will "wake up" and still be resident.

That's my take on it....

'

• ryebreadryebread Posts: 2,980PFN Referee
    edited May 12

Roo's not so far off. What I think the average person would be shocked about is how far behind critical infrastructure is in defense. These systems need computers and connectivity to upgrade to enable new capabilities and gain significant operational efficiency. Yet the people that run them either don't understand or don't fund the appropriate aggregate IT defense systems.

We spend $$$$$$$$$$$ as a country on war machines and a standing army that are arguably obsolete. We're not going to have a land invasion given we're probably the most heavily armed nation on the planet privately and we have a significant geographic advantage. All the standing army we have now really does for us is the ability to try and occupy some foreign country, and I think that the last 30 years in the middle East and Afghanistan should have taught us how well that works. Colonialism always ends up failing.

If you want to incite terror or destabilize a country, just shut the power and water off for about 3 weeks and wait. And as Isreal (and the USA) showed in Stuxnet, that doesn't require a single shot be fired. The USA is twice as subject to citizen on citizen internal terror because we are so armed and individualistic.

• 89BABS89BABS Posts: 103

Well, if you believe you and or your company can provide better security, disaster recovery, and threat detection and avoidance than your cloud provider, you'd be right. But if not, then cloud based is the way to go.

I'd pick Microsoft's ability to secure and manage their Office 365 platform over any small or mid-sized company's ability to secure and manage the traditional on-premise collection of servers. Microsoft has more engineers working on email security than your typical 500 employee company has in total. Toss in Managed Detection and Response service offerings like Artic Wolf, and you're probably better off in the cloud than going it on your own.

But you have to understand and follow their security recommendations - Multi-factor authentication goes a big way towards beginning to secure things. And, of course, doing it right isn't going to be cheap.

I see your point 89. Wonder how this company got hacked. Or, if they followed protocol?

Not to debate. SOME IT Folks are very diligent. Others, due to financial pressures where they have to make decisions about keeping personnel or funding "backups" may be lax.

In fairness to them, and I was part of them...when I consolidated a lot of offices and factories... even if you bicycled tapes (media) overnight, diligently to an off site storage (bank vault) facility and had yesterday's OS and a complete system mirror image....that does not give you the protection that it ONCE did.

In 2005 or so, I developed a backup plan for our central Apex IT Complex right after we had the great flood. It would have taken a week to get the servers into an offsite location and got them "configured". We actually had a site in York, PA with a large IT room. We kept the lease on several generations OLD equipment, which would still support our IT needs. We were a mutliplant operation with maybe 25 or so "sites". Manufacturing was maybe 12 or those and the others were remote warehouses and such. The entire company had converted to individual PC's and Mail Servers (each location). All the main computing was done in Apex....even the large plants outside the US...

But, TODAY....unless you can sniff out the virus or the malware, restoring yesterday's backup can just reinstall the malware. I SUSPECT that Colonial had security....and the team they hired is sniffing on the machines and trying to locate the infection and eradicating it...

My neighbor, an NCSU IT Geek, works for a firm in DC (he came home and is now working from next door) was on contract to the State Department. He would use a totally secured and encrypted "Internet" link (Satellite or what...I don't know). He would remotely take over a PC in England in the embassy and reconfigure it and then release it back to their local network...

That was his forte.....but he DID have to do a "data search" for all emails of a certain "Ex Secretary of State" who did not win the presidency in 2016.. The money spent on getting personal emails from a private home server out of the State Department's system is top secret....but it were NOT cheap...and it took a LONG TIME.

Add in the sophistication of the Russian Mafia and BINGO....we have an issue.

Rye is correct.....all systems are vulnerable. Think about someone hacking Google Maps and routing you via dirt roads....or if Amazon's "CLOUD" were hacked and the driver's routes were all over the delivery area. FOLKS would not be happy...

If you read about JEDI, then if we think Colonial is at risk....??

I am feeling pretty naive about the whole computer security issue after reading some of your comments. Short of keeping my PC off of the Internet, I may need to rethink my security setup. Any ideas for a linux based ubuntu system?

Fox and NYT....you gotta believe that is a combo that can be trusted....LOL..

Colonial is a Privately HELD company, BTW...

Oil and Oil related (SPYDR XLE) are lapping this up like liquid coke...

About 70-80% of triangle area gas stations have NO fuel still as of lunch time. I'm using tracker.gasbuddy.com and don't think I'll go out until I see a lot more "green" pins around the area.

• GsoPackBackerGsoPackBacker Posts: 1,391

Wondered if Colonial had an issue with Outlook (Hosted) and it seems so. Was chatting with a friend who leads IT for a medium sized law firm, and they spent 50k on consultants to fix the problem. Covered by their cyber insurance in this case, fortunately.

Mind boggling to think of the vulnerability of the infrastructure like this and then how it's being "protected". This problem isn't getting better.

• Pack78Pack78 Posts: 786
    edited May 12

Crawl on Fox News this PM reports that 71% of stations in Charlotte are out of gas...appears that the rural areas are probably better bets.

Yesterday I thought it'd be a little better by this time today but seems the problem is actually a little bit worse.

You would think that there could be some type of logic built into the various codes to flag potentially malicious commands and require additional controls to execute these commands. Then again, you would have to buy this software/ upgrade software.

I mean IT is expensive and it takes time, and it’s a constant need. You can want to do this stuff and simply not have the resources.