Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

JV NFL Playoff Expansion - looks like it's happening

KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 4,601PFN Referee

(cue Ron Paul gif, in a completely playful and non-political sense)

Concerned that their four-team product has been harmed by the dominance of a select few teams from the same region, FBS commissioners are seriously considering expanding the College Football Playoff. And while it’s long been assumed that any change to the format would be modest, several influential decision-makers are suddenly open to a playoff system that skips past eight teams and into the double digits.

“I sense 12 teams is building support,” one Power 5 athletic director said.

The CFP first publicly acknowledged an exploration of larger expansion models in a news release Friday afternoon, and despite a line in that release that the commissioners currently support the four-team model, multiple sources who would be involved with the process have expressed to The Athletic a surprising willingness to contemplate what would have been considered radical only a year or two ago.

“There are two unintended consequences people didn’t see when they created the Playoff,” said a college administrator familiar with the discussions. “One, seeing the same teams over and over from one part of the country. It’s impairing the product, because there’s boredom. … There’s risk to not enough (geographic) spread. Secondly, the brand damage to a conference that doesn’t get in it.”

The CFP release revealed that a working group — made up of SEC commissioner Greg Sankey, Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby, Mountain West commissioner Craig Thompson and Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick — is studying six-, eight-, 10-, 12- and 16-team formats. It’s still possible the commissioners decide to stay at four teams, but the momentum seems to favor expansion.

-----------------

Y'all old-timers may recall that, back in me days as plain ol' BJD95, I predicted we would skip the nigh-useless "8 teams" stage. I didn't consider 12, which does make sense as a compromise - and very TV friendly (like the NFL playoffs, 2 weekends of 4 fixtures each). Again, the main point is that every team could dream on making the field one day, unlike the current "closed shop."

Voting the listed options
  1. How many folk should make the JV NFL playoffs?16 votes
    1. 4
        0.00%
    2. 8
        6.25%
    3. 10
        6.25%
    4. 12
      25.00%
    5. 16
      50.00%
    6. I am Coach K, and think everyone should make it because it makes me sound kewl
      12.50%

Comments

• Fastback68Fastback68 Posts: 1,212

For me, the playoffs completely destroyed the entire bowl system. I would go to 16 teams. 4 games to add to the regular season schedule of 12. Some of these kids will be playing 17 regular season games in the NFL. It’s like watching that fat, diabetic German kid drinking from the river of chocolate. Supersizing CF and the NFL is killing it for this fan but perhaps the newer generations will appreciate watching Tuesday and Wednesday night football along with every other day of the week.

• TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 3,390PFN Referee
    edited April 28

I'm all for it.. would like to see 16 and then stop there. I don't think the 10 through 16 seeds could ever actually win a natty, but it opens the door for teams like NC State to at least get to the playoffs once every two or three decades. That would be a thrill in and of itself.

• ryebreadryebread Posts: 2,980PFN Referee
    edited April 28

Like BJD, I thought we'd skip 8 and go straight to 16. D3 has had 16 for years. There's no reason that D1 can't do it.

For all those not in the 16, go play in bowls. Bowls don't mean anything anyway other than holiday TV filler, or the two schools playing (and their fan bases).

The NCAA might end up with 12 as a landing point. I could see it as compromise.

I think the conference championship games need to go away, and likely will. They're just cash grabs, but with a 12-16 team playoff probably lessens the chance of the conference runner up "making it in."

• KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 4,601PFN Referee

The better-run bowls can survive, just like the NIT has when it lost most of its prestige. I mean, the bowls have been NIT-calibre for well over 20 years, just nobody in power ever wanted to admit it.

Teams need a "secondary goal" if they aren't reasonably in the playoff hunt that season, and ESPN needs cheap-to-produce Christmas season programming.

Seems like everybody wins, which makes it a no-brainer to me.

• gvlpackfangvlpackfan Posts: 175

I like a 16 team playoff. FCS has a 24 team bracket and there’s no whining about the extra games.

I don’t like a 12 team bracket because I don’t think the big boys should have a week off. Make them play all the games like everyone else.

• MikePack89MikePack89 Posts: 248

Let everyone in, let's give everyone a trophy!

It's all about choosing the right bowl of porridge (just like the NCAAT). Make it too large, it becomes all "participation trophy." Make it too small, and you take out the intrigue/drama/not-fucking-Clemson-Bama-TOSU-every-damned-year

I think 16 is the sweet spot on the porridge analogy. It is small enough to still be quite meaningful and tough to make. You might see a 3 loss SEC or Big 10 squad or ND in there but for the most part, that's two losses tops. It still leaves things open enough for a good MWC squad or a team like Coast Carolina this past year to get in and possibly make some noise.

I think teams should have to play every week (no playoff bye) just because it will right size some of this nonsense with the regular season and championship games. There's only so many hits a player can take, so level that playing field and eliminate some of these garbage games. If every team has to play in every round, and the most funded programs won't get a bye, then they'll figure out how to balance their budgets and drop either the championship game or a meaningless cash grab home game.

• Or set a cap on athletic budgets—overall and per sport—adjusted for cost of living locations and number of sports funded. End the arms race

That makes way too much sense to ever happen. ;/)

• turkeydanceturkeydance Posts: 239

well, maybe the current NCAA will not last long enough

to actually field a 16-team playoff. times are changing.

• The sensible thing at state institutions would be to set spending limits by statute, or by the BOG, much in the way tuition and fees are established. Tie athletic departments to a percentage of academic and operating budget. Ensure priorities are in the right place. instead, you have state legislatures enacting legislation to basically privatize collegiate sports. It’s insane.

Per multiple articles on The Athletic, looks like it will indeed be 12.

6 highest-ranked conference champs (aka the "ACC Coastal Division Rule"), 6 at-larges.

First round games on campus, followed by neutral sites in quarterfinals forward.

Likely start dates - after 2023 season (earliest practicable) or after 2026 (new TV contract).

ONLY the 4 highest ranked conference champions are bye-eligible. Hopefully that means "join a conference, or get screwed, ND"

• TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 3,390PFN Referee

Damn, we'll still never get in. In that regard I wish they'd have done 16 teams, but 12 definitely seems like plenty enough to decide the best team in the nation.

• 1984Met1984Met Posts: 987
    edited June 10

Here is a link that has a discussion about the proposed 12-team playoff. The second article ("Sadly, proposed College Football Playoff expansion puts the emphasis on access over excellence") is against the idea. My three-word answer to that article is "college basketball championship."

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-playoff-working-group-recommends-expanding-field-to-12-teams-with-six-conference-champions/

I think 16 would have been best.

• Fastback68Fastback68 Posts: 1,212

No byes, 16

12 is much better than 8. I think the biggest flaw is quarterfinals not being on campus (teams 5-8 get a relly cool/fun home game, but not 1-4??). Assume that will get fixed quickly, and rapid transition to 16 is more likely than not.

• gvlpackfangvlpackfan Posts: 175

16 teams! Make them all play! Clemson and Alabama don’t need an extra week to get healthy over everyone else.

• choppack1choppack1 Posts: 2,578

16 was definitely the best way to go. They are still trying to make the bowl games relevant. You could kinda tell yourself that they were when there 4 teams. It was even possible if they’re were 8, but it’s no longer possible with 16. The 12 team option is splitting the proverbial baby. But I think by going past the 10 spot, you pretty much destroy any interest in bowl games. I think you will also see reduced attendance for regular season games as the regular season now becomes less important. Most P5 schools (and certainly NC State) lost a shot at a national title when they went to 4 games.

Only a handful of schools have the depth to survive a 3-4 game playoff against quality competition - we certainly aren’t one of them.

Not sure why you go with 12, if anything you protect the elite…never mind, I just answered my question .

• Vawolf82Vawolf82 Posts: 1,208PFN Referee
    edited June 11

But I think by going past the 10 spot, you pretty much destroy any interest in bowl games.

I disagree. The bowl games will mean exactly the same thing that they've always meant:

• One last game for fans to watch their team
    • Bragging rights for the winner
    • Measuring stick for health of the program
    • Something for the sports addicts to watch during December
    • Cheap programming for ESPN

What will eventually hurt post-season fan attendance (bowls and playoffs) is a continuation of the trend that's sprung up over the last few years....NFL prospects sitting out the meaningless (to them) post-season games. How many fans are going to go through the trouble and expense of attending games when your team's best players are wearing jeans instead of pads?

Plus now - gambling fodder!

Exactly. The bowls (even New Year's bowls) have been "meaningless" forever. They're only meaningful for the people that care, and they care for the reasons that VAWolf has outlined.

I think we'll be to 16 teams inside of 10 years.

• GsoPackBackerGsoPackBacker Posts: 1,391

By expansion of the playoff, we have increased the number of meaningful games from 3 to 11.

Any other games are no more meaningless than they were previously.

• choppack1choppack1 Posts: 2,578

There’s different levels of meaningless. College football stadiums were packed for years without a postseason tournament. The unique system allowed a relatively “happy ending” for many fans. The bowl games offered a fun excuse for an excursion when a lot of folks didn’t have to work or had an extra day or two of vacation to burn.

People whined a lot about the bowl system, but I the sport grew and attendance grew with it. Now attendance is falling. The “bet” appears to be that America’s love affair with football continues and that the windfall of a larger tournament will easily compensate for the losses in attendance.

But this new system will significantly change college football. I remember watching a lot of other college basketball games in the 90s. I haven’t watched a whole lot of them since. Like most college fans, I watch my team play and occasionally watch a snippet of other games in the regular season. I do watch the NCAAs. But the expanded tournament eventually destroyed interest in the regular season of the sport on a macro level. I suspect this expanded tournament may do the same for football as they inevitably expand it more and more.