Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

NC State vs. Wake Forest in men's basketball

ryebreadryebread Posts: 2,675PFN Referee

The Pack travels to Winston for the return game in the series. State won the first game, but it was a memorable one for the Wolfpack for all the wrong reasons. NC State was cruising with a double digit second half lead, and then leading scorer (and best defender) Devon Daniels went down for the year with an ugly injury. Quick moment of silence on that one.

Since DD's injury, NC State is 2-4. Even prior to that, NC State was struggling. The Pack has not put together back to back wins since 2020.

Wake's got their own share of troubles. They enter the game at 6-10 (3-10) and are coming off a shelling at the hands of Duke. NC State can sadly commensurate, though Wake can at least say they took FSU to overtime in Tallahassee the game before. Both teams look at this game as one of the few winnable games left on their respective schedules.

In game #1, the Pack controlled nearly every statistical category outside of clearing the defensive boards, and turning it over too much. Both areas have been unfortunate themes this season.

If you're a WF fan, there is reason for optimism. They now have 6 ft. 4 senior guard Ian DuBose available. Dubose has been back for three games and scored 17 against BC, 18 against FSU and 10 against Duke while averaging almost 6 rebounds per game.

NC State should have an advantage inside, while Wake will be a bit more perimeter oriented. Both teams are playing at a snail's pace, but it'd be nice to see the Pack push the tempo and try to speed WF up. The Deacs don't force many turnovers, but commit them at a healthy rate so if pressured, they should give the ball up.

The computers like NC State by 1 point.

Poll Time
  1. Who wins?13 votes
    1. NC State Wolfpack for the season sweep!
      61.54%
    2. WF Deacs as the house of horrors that is Winston continues.
      38.46%
  2. Can NC State turn it over 13 times or fewer?13 votes
    1. Yes
      23.08%
    2. No
      76.92%
  3. Which team finishes with more rebounds?13 votes
    1. NC State Wolfpack
      53.85%
    2. WF Deacons
      46.15%
  4. Will the Pack flash any of that sweet, sweet zone defense?13 votes
    1. Yes
      38.46%
    2. No
      61.54%

Comments

• AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 3,090

Good synopsis....

• SamIamSamIam Posts: 638
    edited February 20

Welp optimism ruling the room so far. I can get with it, voted the Deacs get the win but would really love to see ball movement, DJ and Manny leading the charge leading to a win. I'd be excited the see the Pack get the win, my Saturday will be just fine either way. All reasons to stay engaged are gone friends. If we win, cool...we lose, whatever. Enjoy the weekend all

• TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 3,158PFN Referee

Rye, I appreciate the write-ups! As well as yours Vawolfs. Your commitment, especially during THIS season, is commendable!

Now if I'm being honest I don't care about this game nor the outcome. I checked WAY out of the season a while back.

That being said I've decided I'm won't make any conclusions on KK based on this weird season. I'm not sure how much KK's coaching style relies on routines and consistency.. which this season has all but eliminated from the tool chest. (Maybe something the Blue's were in need of this year too?)

Perhaps that's foolish. Maybe the writing already on the wall. But I personally gave Gott a "mulligan" the year before he got canned although that obviously didn't turn out so well either.

I'm just ready to move on from this hoops season and I'm willing to give a pass until next year under more "normal" circumstances.

• KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 4,367PFN Referee

A mulligan is 100% justified, even if I get my blood up from time to time.

• RickRick Posts: 2,731PFN Referee

Troll,

Welcome to my world. I quit following state men's sports and politics. Life is so much more pleasant

• I don't think we've got another"Gott" on our hands. I think next season will hinge a great deal on key players' decisions to return or not. If we have Hellems, Bates, and the 2 freshmen guards back I'd feel pretty good. Seabron would be icing on the cake. Add in 2 very talented and motivated freshman guards and that should be a group KK can do something with. A reliable floor general is what we lacked this season (yes also 3 pt shooting). If Hayes can grow into that role by next year it will do wonders. I don't think we can afford to go back to the well next year looking for another freshman (e.g., Pass) to be that guy.

• PackzingoPackzingo Posts: 185

I’m really confused about KK and this team! A few games back they looked like a team that had quit on KK.....and as much as I had “Hope” for KK, I felt he wasn’t going to be our savior! Today, they look inspired so my hats off to KK...and the guys that are giving all they have!!

• TexpackTexpack Posts: 3,199

Since the announcers never said it, the answer to the question is Al Hartley.

Don’t know.....but I THINK that the “Joel” had an HVAC upgrade. The toxic CO2 and the “calm ‘Em Down” gas is now being filtered out. It is dispensed from the Deacon’s motorcycle.

Seriously, the full court pressure defense seems to be working.

As I type this, we seemed to have lost our touch...but we are up by 19.

Go PACK

• OldMan94OldMan94 Posts: 126

We definitely look better today or it could be Wake being so bad. Seabron has been aggressive and effective. Cam looks like he may be settling into being an ACC PG. If we can finish the year on an upswing maybe we can hold onto some of these kids.

• TexpackTexpack Posts: 3,199

Wake has the two weaknesses we need opponents to have. Poor rebounding and poor ball security. They are a tailor made opponent.

• Wake is definitely bad, but agree with Packzingo... this is certainly a Jekyll and Hyde team... great effort by the Pack regardless. Good to see Seabron with a good scoring outing. Seems Keatts may have found a formula finally with the personnel he's got at the moment.

• Fastback68Fastback68 Posts: 1,150

Up 23 with 2 minutes to go. Another win.

• Holy crap! A Farrar sighting!

BTW...the announcer said this was the FIRST a game this season that we have scored 50 in the first half.

All sorts of records for THREE consecutive road wins....dating back to Herbie’s days.

28 point V. 80-62. ICE CREAM TIME...

18 pt victory. Only 2 scoops.

• SamIamSamIam Posts: 638

I have no idea why all of the sudden kids transferring out has become a topic of anyone. I'm not exactly seeing any Ferraris on this lot of Hondas. Besides, we're not a school, Keatts isn't a coach that has to deal with kids leaving. I realize the NCAA has opened the door for transfers now but what's the concern??? The fact we're bad? Not gonna make the tourney??? That's how it sometimes goes around these parts sometimes. I guess we have to have something to talk about???

Happy for the team and KK to follow up a “tight” win with a “comfortable” win! It’s been a while since I can recall the two back to back! Enjoy the ice cream!

• While I realize that WF is not a good team right now, I am glad for the young guys today. Valuable game experience. Did not have any long stretches of poor play that would have allowed Wake to gain confidence.

Keatts needs to play his young players as much as possible looking toward next season. While I love our Pack, there is no way that we win the acc tournament this year.

• choppack1choppack1 Posts: 2,219

We are young in the place you don’t want to be, but Cam is making encouraging strides as is Seabron. If you don’t, you should listen to Keatts in the postgame. He is very even-keeled and he didn’t trip over himself gushing about Seabron. Rather, he was saying they were trying to get him to play that way. He also said that he was kid, moreso than most, whose development was stunted by Covid.

I strongly suspect he is trying to light a fire under Moore. My impression is that he is very demanding in terms of the effort and intensity he expects from these kids.

Great effort today. We are seeing the kind of toughness that will serve our program well.

• ryebreadryebread Posts: 2,675PFN Referee

I watched the replay last night. Tex is right. Wake is the perfect opponent for this team. They are small, don’t care much about defense, are prone to getting their shots blocked, and turn the ball over. Wake is a bad team.

Having said that, I saw a lot I liked out of the Pack:

• Big line up
    • Pushed the pressure and tempo for most of the game.
    • Seabron’s emergence.
    • Beverley finally playing the right role off the bench.
    • Huge energy.
    • Hayes with some confidence, and some made threes.
    • Hellems finally in the right position/role.

If you’d have told me we’d have won by twenty with Manny and Moore largely in foul trouble, I would have taken that outcome in a second. No need to even lace them up. This was the best team effort of 2021.

Close Games:

St Louis, Clemson, Miami, Syracuse & Virginia.

I believe we could/should have won 3 perhaps 4 of those games but we didn’t!! Perhaps this is the start of a foundation for next year!!

(that’s almost a 4 decade wish)

Zingo, lol I was doing the same thing this morning while looking at the standings. Clemson and Miami, 6-8 to 8-6. Rationalize over and over like ground hog day, year after year. It’s like football where the vast majority of games are decided by 7 points or less which is why it’s a common stat for most teams. “You know the Panthers lost 7 games by less than 7 points as if to remedy a 5-11 season.” It just seems more like low iq decisions throughout the games involving pack bb. Maybe DD plays better in Clemson OT if he hadn’t already played the entire 40 minutes. Maybe, maybe, maybe.