Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

Pitt Game Thread (+ Addenda) 4:30pm Today on ACCN

Vawolf82Vawolf82 Posts: 1,033PFN Referee
edited February 17 in Wolfpack Sports

So let's start with the Addenda.

The NCAA has not released downloadable NET data, team sheets, etc since March 2020.

So I haven't been doing any of the fun stuff with the rankings, SOS, etc this year. (In hindsight, this looks like a good year to have stepped away from the numbers.) Note that my weekly ramblings predated my finding this NCAA download site by over a decade. But I haven't found a place that gives everything in one place AND will copy/paste easily into EXCEL. If you are still interested in seeing what is happening around college basketball, here are a few sites that might prove useful:

https://www.barttorvik.com/teamsheets.php?conlimit=ACC&sort=1

Here you'll find the six computer rankings that are provided to the Selection Committee. You can display everyone or any one conference. This is the only place that I've found that breaks out Q1A record along with the record per quadrant. If they would add Overall Record, Overall SOS, and OOC SOS, this would be a great table. Add conferences to my list of wants AND make it downloadable into EXCEL (one row per school), then you would have a perfect table.

The Warren Nolan site gives a great table and has the team sheets linked in their Nitty Gritty report. As far as I can tell, they don't break out the Q1A results and don't have a way to look at only one conference. The results don't copy/paste well into EXCEL and what you do get takes up two rows for each school.....not good.

Of course, the first two sites are not official and I can't guarantee their accuracy (though I've never found a mistake). The table that the NCAA is updating daily is not completely worthless, but far from complete. Clicking on the column headings will sort the data according to that column, so you can sort by conference or one of the other columns. For instance, sorting on "Quad 1" will show that Ohio St has the most Q1 wins (8-3) and that Gonzaga is second (7-0).

Lastly, I found the Bracketville site when it was ranked at or near the top of reviews of the various bracketology sites. I've posted a number of rants against Lundardi (ESPN) and Palm (CBS) over the years, but have never dissected Bracketville. It would be interesting to do just that, but I'll need downloadable data before I will attempt any analysis.

Comments

• GsoPackBackerGsoPackBacker Posts: 1,210

Struggling to determine whether a 4:30 weekday tipoff is making me even less interested in tuning in to this game.

I'm not big on pointing to games as season-defining, but another loss (or worse, a poor showing) and I feel some folks start to really sharpen their pitch forks.

I hope that's not the case for a whole variety of reasons.

• Vawolf82Vawolf82 Posts: 1,033PFN Referee
    edited February 17

I think that the overall tone of the season was finalized several weeks ago. Now it's just a matter of watching to see just how bad of a season it will be.

On a side note, the Tune In radio app has sucked for listening to games this year....men and women's. I'll try updating the app and see if that helps.

• KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 4,367PFN Referee

well, this will sure cheer me up after City finish pushing Everton's shit in...

• Vawolf82Vawolf82 Posts: 1,033PFN Referee

Tune-In app is working now. Don't know if it was because I updated the app or not.

Hopefully, the girl's game will work tomorrow too. The ESPN app has had most of the women's games blacked out for me.

• Fastback68Fastback68 Posts: 1,150

Classic recipe

2nd half tie

• ryebreadryebread Posts: 2,675PFN Referee

Work's been packed, so I didn't even get to this. Doh!

• freshmanin83freshmanin83 Posts: 1,718PFN Referee

A win for the Pack.

• choppack1choppack1 Posts: 2,219

Great, gritty win for the Pack. Happy for the guys! This is where I like Keatts...our last 2 coaches lose that game in a similar situation. And we were totally screwed in those 2 possessions with the foul on Bates and the walk on Hayes.

• An interesting statistic...State has only had two players play every game this season. That is tied for fewest in the conference with BC. It was 3 until today's game, when Allen was out with an ankle injury. Miami has only had 3, and Notre Dame and Pitt have had only 4. Hard to maintain chemistry when no one has played together.

• KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 4,367PFN Referee

I have no idea how many opt-outs we will get for ACCT, so hard to speculate too much on seeding. But nice to beat someone down in our range of the table.

• GsoPackBackerGsoPackBacker Posts: 1,210

Watched the last four minutes and nice to see a little bit of resilience.

I liked the announcers sharing Fundy's comment about how he is supposed to defend the play where he was whistled for a foul.

Watching the Duke Class of 86 special and after watching all of the ACC highlights from the 80's, I sure miss how the game used to be played. Well mostly. Lol

• TexpackTexpack Posts: 3,199

We definitely got screwed on the last two calls but managed to win anyway. Lots of FF to get through before my power gets turned off again.

• AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 3,090
    edited February 18

And your point (GRIPE?) is? We were so LUCKY to have have Mr. Luckie today. The blown call on the final possession with all the mugging and groping was typical. We also were part of a Foul F’ing Fest. I think the total was 38 or 39....which includes 4 T’s. TV Teddy will be jealous.

The WP Network was grounded. They broadcast the game from the Murphy Center with piped in crowd and court audio. What a THRILLING episode....up TEN....TWICE and almost gave it (OK, it might have been stolen) away.

One thing might have been settled today. Jeff Capel ain’t in the top 5 for Mikey’s job.

BUT... a W is a W and there is no asterisk...

• Watched a majority of the game off and on while working from home. Watched the last couple minutes intently. Poetic justice at the end, Cheap champagne definitely pushed Hayes, with both hands mind you, causing him to lose his footing and "travel". Replay made it even clearer to see. This should secure KK for another year, which will of course be his most crucial yet as HBBC.

• 44rules44rules Posts: 527

Totally missed it. Can go back and watch since we won...

The team pushed the pace well until about the last five minutes. We slowed it down and almost lost. This one could have gone either way, when it really shouldn’t have been close. We got the win.

I still see more questions than answers, a roster filled with too many guys that are at best ACC role players, three freshman big men who cannot get off the bench, spotty half court play and very little shooting. But I agree that KK is back next year. I figured he was regardless of the on court results.

We”re going to need to crank up the waiver wire, both with players and assistants. This off-season will be wild in college basketball.

Just out of curiosity, how many assistant suits did Gott have versus KK.

Fast: NCAA rules say you can only have 3 recruiting assistants and a director of basketball operations. So I am sure the official answer would be “the same.”

• PackPACPackPAC Posts: 530
    edited February 18

A quick google search shows that Gott's last year had 12 staff members including the 3 allowed assistants and director of bball operations. This year HBBCKK has 18 staff members, that's a lot of people and $$ hanging around.

Source is gopack.com

Thanks Rye and PP. I certainly would have gotten that question wrong. Gott always had that legion of suits that seemed to grow over time. I’ll have to visit gopack and look at some group photos.

• AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 3,090

Lest we not forget, Gott had his highly paid mentor as a consultant... often watched the games at the PNC. No pad or note taking by said consultant. He was not spry or mobile. By the time he got to the huddle, the buzzer was signaling PLAY BALL and he would toddle on back,

As a geriatric, he moved very slowly by even the most lax standards. I guess he provided half time introspective and a critique of the loss for Gott to prevent the recurring ones...

• SamIamSamIam Posts: 638

Yesterday's game is an example of how important point guard play is. Cam Hayes played good, by good I mean he was in control, obvious he was allowed to take control of the offense and ball movement was a result. That style of play, utilizing our bigs, running offense through pg play is our best chance for success going forward. As great or bad as DD was/is a team has zero identity when you have zero offensive scheme other than jack up 3's or watch one guy shoot at all cost.

*after saying all that I'd be remiss if I didn't state I thought Pitt's defense was horrendous but....we all have to admit the ball movement on offense was a pleasant thing to watch.

DD was a plus level defender but a minus level offensive player. And because we were hell bent on playing he and Hellems, that meant we went small with Hellems at four. I think most fans would say we got worse when DD went down, but I think if we shifted personnel properly and went big, then we are probably better off.

• TexpackTexpack Posts: 3,199

My point is we were setup for NC State **** and we overcame it. I thought Bates played the drive by cheap champagne perfectly. Stayed vertical and absorbed the contact initiated by the shooter’s off hand/forearm without fouling. That is one call where I think NBA refs do a much better job rewarding good defense.