Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

2021 Pack9 Baseball Thread

TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 3,158PFN Referee

Going to get this thread up while I'm thinking about it. The season starts in 9 days.

Game #1 vs. VMI on February 19th at 3pm, Doak Field!

Can't wait to get it going on the diamond. Any insiders got the scoop on what the team looks like this year?

Comments

• This is what I missed most in 2020....Welcome back Pack 9.

• Not an insider but have season tix and pay attention. Pretty typical. Good roster. In most pre-season top 25 polls. Lost some talent to draft with best LF pitcher and starting catcher gone to draft. A few offseason transfers but nothing earth shattering. Team has speed, pop, and should be solid on defense. SS is a star in the making.

As is typical with Avent teams, they'll go as far as pitching takes them. Do we have enough, not just 2-3 inning depth, but quality starting pitching to ride into middle and/or deep innings, then close the door. You're simply not going to outscore playoff teams consistently, and you need your manager to win you some close ones with the right decisions. Prediction. We'll have a good year, then fizzle.

• TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 3,158PFN Referee

Thanks for info GHG. Glad to hear they should be relevant again. Will be something to pay attention to this Spring.

• phcqmfdphcqmfd Posts: 81

avent: doing less with more for 25 years. Needs better bench coach or just needs to listen to them.

• My opinion is that he overcoaches or overmanages on game day. Strategy wise, I don't think he's great on offense, though that just could be a different opinion on when to run, move runners, bash..But his pitching moves...don't get me started.

Bump! Season starts tomorrow!

• ryebreadryebread Posts: 2,675PFN Referee

Avent's maddening on game day, but I think he consistently does more with less than any NC State coach.

• YogiNCYogiNC Posts: 523

Looks like opening day will be a washout.

• KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 4,367PFN Referee

My cats are like, super fucking annoyed with me for this weather.

• Hogw1ldHogw1ld Posts: 369
    edited February 19

Just saw the weekend series with VMI is cancelled completely. Covid issues at VMI.

Damn. This covid is getting old too.

• YogiNCYogiNC Posts: 523

My list of things that are getting old (besides me) would probably get me banned.

Looks like double header tomorrow against Davidson.

• SamIamSamIam Posts: 638

So excited about baseball. A true sport one that at this level is not affected by logos on jerseys or high financial offers to recruits.

Pack takes both of them in Sunday double header. UNCG today at 3pm on ACCNX

• Sad to say 13 runs wasn’t enough against UNCG. With only two errors, the pitching couldn’t have been good if we gave up 16 runs.

• SamIamSamIam Posts: 638

Pthhhhhhhhhhhhh

Couldn't spell the sound of air rapidly escaping from a balloon.

• Starting pitcher was good but bullpen was terrible. Several pitchers used and not much success. Had a 7-1 lead and couldn't hold it.

hopefully our trash bullpen was a one-game anomaly..........