Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

Syracuse Game Thread

Vawolf82Vawolf82 Posts: 1,033PFN Referee
edited February 9 in Wolfpack Sports

I was waiting to add the NET updates to this week's game thread....but it hasn't happened yet. I don't have a game preview or a snazzy poll (edited, by ryebread who is adding a poll), but I do have my normal table (from a different source):

https://www.barttorvik.com/teamsheets.php?conlimit=ACC&sort=1 (Above table was after Sunday's games.)

Around here, there are likely a number of people that remember the Selection Committee's judgement on State two seasons ago....no Q1A wins. With the weak conference this year, there aren't many of those available and it shows.

The NCAA team sheets used to collect/display data for the selection process include six computer numbers...listed above under "Resume" and "Quality".

I took a quick glance at State's schedule and they have only on Q1A game left...@UVA. VT is a potential, but they have to improve enough that a loss in Raleigh would still keep them in the Top30.....possible but not probable. State plays Duke on Sat.

Poll time
  1. Who wins?12 votes
    1. NC State Wolfpack
      75.00%
    2. Syracuse Orange
      25.00%
  2. Does the recent trend of rather nice ball movement via the pass continue for 35+ minutes?12 votes
    1. Yes
      75.00%
    2. No
      25.00%
  3. Can NC State force Syracuse into > 13 turnovers (the magic # in a possession game)?12 votes
    1. Yes
      83.33%
    2. No
      16.67%
  4. Does NC State play two haves the same way?12 votes
    1. Yes! We're going to play the bench, press, run and speed up the Cuse.
      25.00%
    2. No. KK tightens the rotation and takes his foot off the gas in the second half.
      75.00%

Comments

• ryebreadryebread Posts: 2,675PFN Referee
    edited February 9

My bad on that one. I was coming in here to do it, and you beat me to it! I did add the poll with what I think are the key factors for tonight's game.

NC State's played its way out of the NCAA tournament barring a miraculous ACC tournament. I had noticed the same thing about lack of Q1 wins.

With that in mind, it's time for a youth movement. Play Hayes, Moore, Seabron and Gibson as many minutes as possible and hope you retain all four. Round out the minutes with Bates, Hellems and Allen in hopes they return as well.

For those who might have missed it, the NCAA transfer rules this year are wild. If I am not mistaken, there is no hit to eligibility (this season doesn't count to your four years) AND you can transfer without sitting. If we don't handle the personnel right down the stretch, State could see a mass exodus.

• Vawolf82Vawolf82 Posts: 1,033PFN Referee

I didn't mean to steal your thunder, but I had a meeting first thing this morning and went ahead and posted the depressing table. If you have a preview ready, please post it above the nearly useless NET update.

• Well, followed your link. The good news is, the table has been updated to include our W against BC.

The bad news? We dropped two spots because of the W and are now 80th.

• MikePack89MikePack89 Posts: 220

When we talk of lack of Q1A wins - it is not just us. Look at the entire conference.

Thanks VA for your always excellent analysis, but there are only 5 Q1A wins in the entire conference. FSU has 1, VT has 2 and Clemson has 2.

• KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 4,367PFN Referee

This season, we are a bad team in a ba league.

Exactly. The league is horrible this year. BJD nails it -- bad team in a bad league.

The league deserves 4-5 bids tops. Because SOMEONE has to play in the NCAA tournament, we might get as many as 7. How many from the ACC go largely depends on how UNC and Syracuse fare down the stretch. I don't think the NCAA is leaving a bubble UNC or Cuse squad out, particularly given blue bloods like Duke and Kentucky look like they're on the outside looking in.

• Playing Syracuse is about as much fun as a trip to the dentist.

• etab4uetab4u Posts: 72

The question should have been about Syracuse forcing State turnovers. Four in a row...

• ACC tourney participation might be need-only option. some may sit out.

• PackPACPackPAC Posts: 530

Another chance for a decent win, on our home court, another bed-wetting, NC State style.

• GsoPackBackerGsoPackBacker Posts: 1,210

I must admit to turning it off a few minutes into the second half

• TexpackTexpack Posts: 3,199

Just caught up to live action. Keatts is in way over his head. Not even close to ACC caliber coaching. Time to move on

• TexpackTexpack Posts: 3,199

One stupid undisciplined play after another.

• freshmanin83freshmanin83 Posts: 1,718PFN Referee

I missed almost the entire game but how did we end up with so many turnovers.

• AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 3,090

Simple....we started off strong with 13 in the first half or about one every 90 seconds....and then couldn’t figured out Shat to do in the half. As much hope as I had for KK, he does not seem to be an X-O or a game coach.

Was it what you said Texpack just that undisciplined?

• I like Beverly, but his game has degenerated to the point where he is killing our effectiveness on both ends of the floor. Everyone in the league knows to exploit the mismatch, and with everyone else trying to help him out we give up open threes and offensive rebounds. Offensively he rarely gets more than one or two open looks from three and his assists to turnover ratio is pretty bad. He always plays hard, but he’s just not helping the team win right now.

• Trying to move the ball against the zone and too many deflections and telegraphed passes. Then when we tried to push the ball we just got careless with it. Add in some bounce passes to the knees and a couple of step out of bounds and pretty soon you have 20 TO’s and a loss.

• RickRick Posts: 2,731PFN Referee

13 comments

Another loss. Imo the twirl into the drain has begun and no one cares

Would you say it was a lack of skill, lack of concentration? Both, something else.

• KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 4,367PFN Referee

What do we do (if anything) when the Hoosiers set Arch free?

We will do nothing because we are NC State. What we SHOULD do is something else completely.

KK isn’t the guy barring massive changes in assistants (see Shaka Smart for what that can do). There are too many things that show up again and again. I had high hopes in year one, but we’re not seeing a coach who is growing and changing.

• Didn't get to watch any of this one. Box score tells me cuse beat us at our own game. Turnover disparity seemed to be the difference.

A whole lot of these turnovers were unforced. We didn’t play smart. We didn’t do a good job defending Syracuse’s shooters. And the four Smurfs line up predictably didn’t rebound very well. That’s your ball game.

• How many are left on the KK bandwagon?