Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

Chicken Wing Sauce

TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 3,159PFN Referee

Got an air fryer and making some wings today.. what are some good easy sauces I can toss these in when done? Ideally looking for some good pre-made sauce I can pick up at store.. teriyaki, orange sauce, etc, whatever you guys recommend I'd love to try. For this first batch I'm just testing the fryer and I'm going regular barbecue sauce I guess.

Comments

• TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 3,159PFN Referee

I should say, I'd also be interested in any other tips for getting the most out of chicken wings.

The regular ole bottled barbecue sauce batch I made was pretty good.. the rub I put on before was probably a tad too salty though. The air fryer did a lot better than I thought it would at cooking them... I did 360 degrees for 20 minutes. Wished I'd have taken a picture!

• Fastback68Fastback68 Posts: 1,150

Texas Pete and butter. Add your favorite spices if necessary.

• TexpackTexpack Posts: 3,199

Horseradish mustard, honey, and Tony Chachere’s

• ryebreadryebread Posts: 2,675PFN Referee

Tat: How long are you cooking those wings and at whst temps? I have a convection oven and they’re basically similar (though I was gifted an air fryer that is still in a box).

Rye, this time I did 360 degrees for 20 minutes. Internet recipe research varies with temp between 350 to 380 in the air fryer for wings. Agree, air fryer is a glorified convection oven.. but I've been pleased with mine. I think the air fryer has maybe a little more vigorous air flow? The wings came out crispy.

Tex, I'll have to look into that.. thanks!

Fastback, I've done similar with Frank Red Hot Sauce.. the hot sauce/butter combo is best tasting I've done with actual fried wings and I need to port over to air fried wings!

• 4in124in12 Posts: 216

We have both a convection oven and an air fryer. The air fryer is a convection oven on steroids. The oven gently circulates the air while the fryer aggressively stirs it.

• HighstickHighstick Posts: 418PFN Referee

I have an Instapot, but am interested in getting the Air Fryer lid for it? Anyone heard any comments? Instapot really is simple...

• GsoPackBackerGsoPackBacker Posts: 1,210

Highstick, am thinking the same thing so curious what you hear.

I enjoy smoking wings, but a bit of a hassle.

For regular wings, I've found I enjoy putting a rub on them (found fajita seasoning works quite well) and them finishing with hot sauce and butter.

If you want a twist, use butter, part texas pete and then another hot sauce to improve the depth of flavor of the sauce. I really enjoyed smokey habanero sauce my son had picked up somewhere.

On flip side, too many ingredients ruins a wing unless the balance is right. Yes, wing snob here.

• Fastback68Fastback68 Posts: 1,150

There’s a place called Dead End bbq in Knoxville that uses a dry rub that both my kids and wife rave over. The wife has spent the past 2 years trying to replicate the rub. My son says it finally matched the restaurant but then our spice store closed in Charlotte. Hopefully that doesn’t matter. Anyway, I prefer a wet wing over a dry rub. Johnny’s Wings in Buffalo were my favorite as they were slightly better than The Anchor Bar’s. We know a chef who cooks for some ball players. He switched out Texas Pete for Franks but some clients complained. I recently picked up a bottle of Franks to try but haven’t yet. There’s another brand of hot sauce I’ve seen on tables in Tennessee but I can’t remember the name. Will have to try it some time. It’s fun to experiment.

We've got a Ledo's restaurant up the street here that does a great job with wings using a dry rub of Old Bay. I absolutely love 'em!

Frank's is sorta bland to me, but everyone's taste is different.

• 44rules44rules Posts: 527

How is cleanup on an air dryer? I'm figuring a mess.

As soon as it cools off I put the whole basket in the sink and fill it up with water and let it sit overnight. Next day, put the pieces in the dishwasher. If any crud builds up, scrub it with a nylon scouring pad.

I feel the same about Franks and Old Bay.

If I'm going "slightly warm, mass produced red sauce" then I'm going with Tobasco. It's not really hot, but just has a nice flavor profile. If people love hot sauce, going to Avery Island is a pilgrimage.

• Hogw1ldHogw1ld Posts: 369

I prefer smoked wings. I dry my wings really well with paper towels. Add a simple rub with baking powder (not soda), salt, and pepper....something like 80% making powder. The baking powder really dries out the skin making it bite through crispy. I smoke for 45 minutes or so at 200, then crank it up to 350-400 for 30 min or so so crisp it up.

When it's done I toss in a bowl with preferred sauce. My middle daughter and I like Frank's, but I add some of my homemade ghost pepper hot sauce to it. Wife and other two daughters like BBQ sauce (also homemade...less sweet than mass produced stuff).

I'm going to have to try old bay or similar on some wings since someone mentioned it!!

The one I have is not bad at all. Instructions say you can line the bottom basket container with foil and then I just need to hand wash the basket that sits in that container.

Add a simple rub with baking powder (not soda), salt, and pepper....something like 80% making powder.

That's not the first I've heard to use baking powder.. Adding it to my shopping list and we'll see how it translates in the air fryer.

It works great in my pellet smoker and indirect on my kettle (from before I bought the smoker). I would think it would work in the air fryer also.

I've been meaning to start trying different rubs on my wings, but we like what we're doing so well we haven't. Having seen the old bay comment, it'll be happening soon.

Current cooking project is making bacon. Going to get some pork belly curing in the fridge in the next couple of days to be smoked weekend after next.

edited February 2

My favorite "not really hot, but just has a nice flavor profile" is Cholula. Tastes way better than Frank's or Tabasco, IMHO. That said - to me, Frank's (or Texas Pete) is what Buffalo Wings are supposed to taste like. It's what I grew up on.

I lump Chilola, Frank’s and Texas Pete on the same group. They’re fine if at a restaurant and in a pinch. Tobasco is the only one of that style that I will buy.

if any of you live near a Safeway, look for the house brand chili lime. It is fantastic, and zero carb.

• My Louisiana fam have key chain flasks or dispensers of Tobasco they carry around.

I like them all. We make a good honey and habanero wing. I’ve made with Thai Chiles, too. I grow a lot of peppers so we experiment.

• GsoPackBackerGsoPackBacker Posts: 1,210

Hog, I've done the same with my pellet smoker and the results are pretty good. Have some more planned for Super Bowl weekend. Ready!

• 44rules44rules Posts: 527

My favorite hot sauce used to be Endorphin Rush. Good stuff.

• RickRick Posts: 2,731PFN Referee

I am not a fan of Tabasco. I just do not like the flavor. I used to love hot hot hot stuff. The kind that makes you sweat but not so much now. It is the next day that kills me, if you know what I mean.

Before I started making my own hot sauce I would routinely mix tabasco and texas pete. Texas pete for the flavor and tabasco for some extra heat. I really like the chipotle tabasco also.

I make a tomato based hot sauce with ghost peppers and roasted poblanos and also a pineapple based one with ghost peppers and cilantro. Those are my go-to hot sauces these days.

@GsoPackBacker I bought the pellet muncher a couple of months before covid. So glad I did. I used to run a small side-firebox that took a lot of tinkering to get it to run steady. I enjoy that, but we're so busy (3 active kids) that I hardly had time to do anything. Feel like I can walk away from the pellet grill for a few hours if needed.

My next door neighbor brought me a sample of his "imitation burnt ends" over the weekend. Bought a chuck roast, cut into pieces, and smoked as he would do a brisket. Pretty good stuff and a lot cheaper than a brisket.