Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

APATHY RULES. NCSU MBB vs WFU Wednesday Jan 27 @ 8:00 PNC (on ACCN) - BANNER AWOL

AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 4,791
edited January 2021 in Wolfpack Sports

Is there a reward for the missing banner for the above game? Yes....being the perpetual instigator that I am, I could NOT resist...

Will the early season PACK return?

Will WFU be as overconfident tomorrow night as Pitt was against said WFU after finally getting a W against Duke....then forgetting everything that Capel warned them about...? It was a barn burner....and it was anyone’s game at the end.

Rye,

Looking forward to some real insight.....

Comments

• Pack78Pack78 Posts: 961

Does the banner come back if we win?

• KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 5,423PFN Referee

We're into "if a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there to hear it" territory, ain't we?

• I'd be happy if I didn't have to see the trees always crumbling around our major athletics programs and more consistent success and competitiveness

• TexpackTexpack Posts: 4,186

Without Danny Manning around this will be a challenge.

• TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 3,901PFN Referee
    edited January 2021

I guess we going with this game thread. Agree, apathy has really set in. For myself, I'm not sure if it's just this season or if it is going to be on a more permanent basis. Watched the Clemson game and was left filled with rage.. haven't had a desire since to relive that feeling like I used to could on a weekly basis.

I personally blame Rick for this movement. 🤣

• RickRick Posts: 3,407PFN Referee

Everyone needs a legacy. Mine is apathy.

• phcqmfdphcqmfd Posts: 119

I am part of the the sunshine crew so I will note that mens and women swim team are #4 and #8. Wrestling is #4 and women's team is #2. All in not doom and gloom, just look at how the women's team came back again, without there best player. Mens bball just needs smarter players who want it more. We are building it slowly. Still think Keatts can win, but just need to adapt and show more in game adjustments.

• ryebreadryebread Posts: 3,298PFN Referee

Apologies. Work has gotten in the way of my write up duties. Big thanks to Roo for starting the thread and getting a poll up.

I'm not going to lie that some apathy has set in for me. I think it is a combination of the start/stops with the team's performance.

Wake enters the game 4-6 overall and 1-6 in the ACC. Three of those six losses were double digit.

The Deacons are coming off a win over Pitt so they've got some momentum. The key to that game is that they shot 15 for 32 from the 3 point line (47%). Wake's going to fire threes up and the two guys for NC State to focus in on are 6 ft 8 sophomore Ismael Massoud (47% from 3) and 6 ft 5 senior Jonah Antonio (40% from three). Both have shot around 50 threes on the year.

When the Deacs do go inside, they get blocked 12.8% of the time, which is 336th nationally. Of the players in the rotation, the tallest is 6 foot 9.

Danny Manning's fingerprints are still the Deacs to a certain extent. Wake's best player last year was Olivier Sarr, and he transferred out to Kentucky. Wake went from big with Sarr in the line up to small and this wasn't a defensively focused team to begin with. WF is giving up 55% shooting to opponents in 2 point shots, which is 301rst nationally. They block very few shots (327th nationally).

The game plan is pretty simple:

• Starts with defense. My sense is that Wake goes as they shoot from three. Get out and guard Massoud and Antonio early. Funnel everyone else inside towards Bates and the Pack should have a block party.
    • On offense, go inside. State's got the height advantage and WF has weak interior defense. This should be a Bates and Fundy special kind of game.
    • Don't foul. Offensively challenged teams need to score at the line with the clock off to win. Wake Forest shoots 76% as a team from the line, which is arguably where they are most efficient.

The computers like the Pack by 8 and give State a 76% chance of winning.

I tend to think that this is the perfect "get well" game for the Wolfpack. If it doesn't happen here, a Pack fan has to ask themselves whether it's going to happen. I picked State in the poll.

• AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 4,791
    edited January 2021

Please post the name of your employer so we can start to crucify on social media. Ye gads, Rye, WORK is a priority over PFN? What kind of ogre outfit makes the periodic ACH’s to your checking account? These folks need to be investigated by the NCDoL.... They are the kind of businesses that give BUSINESS a bad name. They need to be regulated....and eventually sink into the SWAMP!

Thanks for the write up. Troll will have to deal with Rick... but be aware, he might be armed....don’t ask HOW I know....but I would be careful...

Back to getting all IOS devices updated...

• PackPACPackPAC Posts: 759

Well I'm going to give them a shot and watch the game tonight. Anybody out there?

Not a great start

• Poor showing so far

• 1984Met1984Met Posts: 1,467
    edited January 2021

Few bad calls and no calls so far.

Be nice to see crisper passes.

Roo reporting in, Have a supply of Tequila for celebratory or commiseration purposes. Sr. DD is carrying us....with some help. Hope that HERO BALL will work.

JAMIE “How LUCKY can we be?” Is on the scene.

TROLL 😈,

what happened to the POLL? It is NOW AWOL...

More no calls on their pushing on defense.

Hellems figured out he’s getting his stuff sent back on every drive

• freshmanin83freshmanin83 Posts: 2,336PFN Referee

Pleasantly enjoying the first half so far. The Pack is looking good.

We just needed to find some really bad half court defense to get our scoring going.

I like the our hustle on d.

edited January 2021

We are hitting threes at a high rate. I am surprised bad d would explain that.

Wake is a small team. Why not have Bates and Thunderburk in there at the same time and pound it inside?

They are collapsing and clogging pretty effectively. As 83 referenced above, we’ve gotten a lot of wide open 3s. It’s what they’re giving us. I don’t know how long we can shoot like this though.