Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

NC State vs UNC (part 2) on ESPN/2pm

ryebreadryebread Posts: 3,298PFN Referee
edited January 2021 in Wolfpack Sports

Yes, the thread title has a question mark and that's for a reason. I don't even know if the game is going to be played. It looks like it is trending towards that it will at this point.

Since the first half of the State/UNC game in the PNC, NC State has fallen off of a cliff. The Pack have lost 3 in a row, are coming off of a blow out loss to FSU, and have battled COVID (and possibly team chemistry). I'm not sure coming back after a COVID layoff to play UNC in Chapel Hill (when they've been playing and practicing) is the best recipe for a win, but here we seemingly are.

UNC's defense is improving (26th nationally in efficiency), but they aren't a good shooting team offensively. The cheating blues are 287th nationally in effective FG percentage on offense, 270th nationally in 3 point shooting percentage (making just 31% as a team), and 263rd nationally in 2 point FG%.

The Pack's turned in some matador defensive performances the last couple of outings. For State to have any chance, they need to defend, and it needs to start inside out. State will need a big game from Manny and Fundy and a fair whistle from the officials.

The computers like UNC by 2 and give them a 60% chance of winning. While I don't think UNC is very good, NC State's season has turned into a complete train wreck. UNC as favorites at home feels right, particularly if the crew from the second half of the first State/UNC game shows up.

Comments

• SamIamSamIam Posts: 828
    edited January 2021

In typical NC State planning we come back after weeks off to play these ass holes. 100% we lose. 100% many of us spare ourselves and don't watch.

KK IS A WINNER.........welllllllllll

• KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 5,423PFN Referee

Oh, they'll make us play, help out Most Favoured Nation Holes.

• jppackattackjppackattack Posts: 1,454

Darn... was hanging onto hope we wouldn't play again until next season. Oh well, hang on for the ride. Passengers please remain seated with your seatbelt fastened, we're approaching some heavy turbulence.

• ryebreadryebread Posts: 3,298PFN Referee

Without Manny, DJ’s basically starting the game with two fouls. Expect Brooks to get back on track with an “ACC Player of the Year” caliber performance.

• TexpackTexpack Posts: 4,186

106-45 would be about right for a win in my book.

Exactly. this is as sure a bet as there ever has been.

• RickRick Posts: 3,407PFN Referee

Without Bates we apparently have zero chance......

Who an I kidding. Wet have zero chance no matter who plays. Good bless any of you who are brave enough to watch

• 1984Met1984Met Posts: 1,467

Maybe unx will do what Clemson did the other day. Lose big to a team they are expected to win against.

Halfway through the first stanza

Good DD is in the house.

Bates is playing

DJ only has one foul

Half court defense looks pretty good

• tnwolfpackertnwolfpacker Posts: 286
    edited January 2021

Refs aren’t blowing the whistle. UNC with 2 team fouls until they fouled intentionally on our last possession. Bates is competing inside, but DJ is looking lethargic on offense and defense. Our young guys are going to have to step up in the second half for us to have a chance. We made some terrible mistakes in the last four minutes to let them build the 10 pt lead at the half.

Announcers don’t understand the reason we aren’t going to DJ. He’s getting pummeled and can’t get a whistle. This one is about over unless we can put together a 10-0 type run.

We are an awful offensive team

• Bates and DD are competing. DJ is playing harder than he did in the first half. Our other guards just can’t hit enough shots to keep us in the game. Add in some dumb turnovers and it doesn’t look good. If UNC didn’t have some dumb turnovers as well it would be a 20 point game.

Back to back triples get us within 6 at the under 4 timeout. Good DD can play some ball.

• So, the last four minutes of the first half proved to be the difference in the game.

• PackzingoPackzingo Posts: 261

It appears the interest in Pack BB is represented by the number of comments posted....at least in my case anyway!

• TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 3,901PFN Referee
    edited January 2021

Stunning! I just checked PFN for the first time this afternoon.. was expecting 100 comments and there were only 9! 🤣

I'll admit I didn't even watch... again. But yet again I'm thankful I missed it. Checking the score on my phone around 4pm was a kick in the nads enough.

• it is not just us.

college basketball is fading fast.

only the gambling sites show steady interest.

• AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 4,791

Watched the first half. Had a project and started at half. Once it was past 10, I concentrated on it snd then DW and I did our afternoon stroll.

This does not bode well.

• PackPACPackPAC Posts: 759

I purposefully avoided the game. I worked last night so it was easy to avoid the first half while I was sleeping. My DW and daughter are Cheater fans so they had it on but I paid no attention and I must say I had a good day. I had no delusions of them winning so I was able to avoid the emotional attachment that usually leads to elevated blood pressure and anger. Don't get me wrong I still HATE anytime the Pack looses anything to the Holes but as some of the others have posted it's never a fair fight and I'm getting too old to get wound up over a game.

• ryebreadryebread Posts: 3,298PFN Referee

I didn’t watch, but looked at the box score. They at least let Bates play. We got killed on the boards and I would assume that easy second chance buckets led to UNC shooting 54% from 2.

My interest is at Sid level lows (no pun intended).

• jppackattackjppackattack Posts: 1,454

Dealing with some major problems my dad is facing so won't be tuning in much if at all. Looks like a good time to tune out. Meanwhile, Oats continues to cook his SEC competition for dinner on a nightly basis. Will probably pay more attention to them since my son is headed to Bama in the fall.

We never seem to help ourselves out. The five first half minutes I watched we played and shot well problem is so did they. You can't play balls out on offense and allow the opponent to do the same thing. Can't knock down 3's then run down the court and watch them drain buckets too. Unc's big guy, the one with a face only a mother could love couldn't miss. Whatever.

• choppack1choppack1 Posts: 2,820

Best to you jppackattack. I went through some harrowing times with my Dad in October. He is doing much better now, but may not be without caretakers for an extended period of time for the rest of his life.

Life is too short to waste following floundering Wolfpack teams. I can’t think of a more counterproductive way to spend time.