Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

GTech and UVA game postponed

TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 3,901PFN Referee
edited January 2021 in Wolfpack Sports

Another game to add to the postponement pile. Another "bag over the head punch in the face".. well actually it's probably a blessing. Actually we SHOULD probably start to advocate for K's advice on the matter and just call it a season. I'd be fine with it at this point.

Bring on baseball!

Comments

• KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 5,423PFN Referee

Just Too Much #NuAIDS, and not enough good hoopsball play.

• jppackattackjppackattack Posts: 1,454
    edited January 2021

Aw man, and we had that ramblin wreck right where we wanted 'em! Give 'em so many free lanes to the rim for layups that they'll tire themselves out and at that point we can impose our will!

• TexpackTexpack Posts: 4,186

We certainly looked sick Wednesday night.

• I am honestly surprised the season has made it this far. I didn’t think it would make it to New Years.

• Vawolf82Vawolf82 Posts: 1,404PFN Referee

I understand why they let the players go home for Christmas, but this outbreak should have been expected and included in the scheduling.

I don't work for the brightest company in the world, but they mandated that everyone work from home after Christmas break until 1/18 (if possible)....which has just been extended to 2/1.

• ryebreadryebread Posts: 3,298PFN Referee

It's probably not a popular opinion, but I think we should self-impose a postseason ban this year and try and get out of the NCAA mess. Between COVID19 and the product we're putting on the court, we're not going anywhere even if we do somehow scrape into the NCAAs.

Too much caysh money in roundball and oblongball for seasons to be canceled. They probably counted all the caysh they missed out on in March and vowed to never let it happen again.

• SamIamSamIam Posts: 828

I vote we close up shop, open back up when we join the Big South. May could win a title in that league, doubtful but there is a chance.

• PIRPIR Posts: 174

ryebread, I was thinking the same thing.

UVA game now canceled.

edited January 2021

Why would you schedule the same amount of games in the same amount of time when it was absolutely a given that some games would have to be postponed (talking about conference schedule)?

So the question becomes:

Will the postponed games turn into canceled games like football?

Will they go to three games a week to try and make up the postponed games?

Absolutely no leadership shown in setting the schedules. SEC football is about the only organization that prepared for the inevitable.

• TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 3,901PFN Referee

Thanks to whoever updated the thread title. Just cancel the season already.

• TexpackTexpack Posts: 4,186
    edited January 2021

ACC football had two open dates scheduled per team and was able to play over 80% of the schedule. I thought the football schedule was done pretty well. The problem with BB is roster size and close contact. One positive test shuts down the whole team for at least two weeks. The approach was schedule a lot of games knowing you won’t play them all. A schedule with 14 conference games probably ends up with the same number of games played, but could go way low if timing is bad for some teams.

if you don’t have a crystal ball, you’re screwed one way or another. Making decisions with a lot of unknowns takes some balls, so I’m not going to quibble with the approach.

• choppack1choppack1 Posts: 2,820

Yeah. So far thus basketball season looks like what it was predicted the football season would be. NC State seems to have more problems than most though. Not sure if this could be prevented or not, but seeing 2 games postponed at 2 different times, nit even halfway through the season makes you wonder what’s up.

We got lucky in football. That luck is balancing out a bit with basketball.

Calipari was right. They should have pushed basketball back to after Christmas and ran it out through May.

Rye - that's especially true with MLB being significantly delayed (talk about a sport hell-bent on cutting off its nose to spite its face). There is a huge gap in the sports enthusiast schedule, especially for those of us who despise golf and auto racing in equal measure.

• AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 4,792

Does this mean we are getting ready for a major @$$ whoopin’ on Saturday and HBBC KK a is trying to get numbers so we can show up for our punishment and humiliation. Funny, how the fortunes and tide has changed the sentiment here...

In today’s N&O article, KK speculates about delaying the ACCT (and obviously NCAAT) to make up missed games.

This would have been the obvious solution for the NCAA to have made before the season started. Leave 2 week buffer between scheduled end of season and the start of conference tournaments. This would be enough time to make up 4-5 games.

i wouldn’t have thought of it the fall when the season was being planned. But a two week break after New Years would have been a great idea.

• SamIamSamIam Posts: 828

Crazy we had a COVID outbreak, I mean, we have those nice chair locker room things that keep our players 6 feet apart.

stupid, looks good on tv though.

I'm not burying the bball team yet but it sure does look like we have one foot in the grave. I will say, by no means do I think we have the right personnel in the backcourt at the moment to be successful in KK's system. I hate to single out players but DD is not the ideal guard for KK to have playing major minutes and being tabbed as the defacto leader. With Markell we were in way better shape to execute the game plan. I think our bigs are just fine and my belief is with the continued development and increased minutes from Hayes and Moore, and the incoming freshmen guards next year (I believe will be proven to be elite) there is still hope for the future. I really think KK kind of got caught in a weird off year where he has to play the experienced guys because putting 2 freshmen out there in ACC play game after game is probably not the best plan. Also, I think we need to run more specific plays for Allen to use him like a Scott Wood type of weapon, and let him take 6-8 3's every game. Heck if he needs to take 10 to hit 4 or 5 some nights I'm ok with it. We're not using him fully to our advantage IMO.

• TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 3,901PFN Referee

If the season continues the current path I wouldn't be surprised to see a mass exodus of players with the new rule that the kids don't have to sit out a year.

There is such a thing as addition by subtraction...

We've said that 3 years running with KK. When you see the same thing regardless of roster, it's not the players.

• 1984Met1984Met Posts: 1,467

Speaking of coaching records (for KK), I tend to forget how long it has been since State actually won the ACC tournament and went somewhere in the NCAA. Here is a good link that shows the drought to begin the program -- 46 years with just one conference tournament title (the 1928/29 season); and the current drought (31 years and counting). I happened to be at State toward the end of the "glory" years. (Okay, there has been three sweet 16 showings since 1989.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NC_State_Wolfpack_men%27s_basketball_seasons

I personally don't want to wait another 15 years to start winning titles again (that is, if 46 years is the template).