Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

NC State vs FSU in men’s hoops

ryebreadryebread Posts: 3,298PFN Referee

The Pack travels to Tallahassee to take on FSU on Wednesday. Game time seems to be at a rather odd 6:30.

The Noles are favored by 1.5, but it feels to me like it should be a lot more. I think FSU is the league’s best team, and their height will absolutely love to get reintroduced to NC State’s pretty pathetic defensive rebounding (which is an inexcusable 266th nationally). The Noles have 3 players who are 6ft 11 or taller, and several 6ft 8/9 players.

The Noles are 26th nationally in offensive efficiency, and that’s in large part due to offensive rebounding. They also have senior guard Anthony Polite, who is shooting 52% from the 3 point line.

The Noles are normally solid on defense, and it goes from inside out. This year they’re ranked 41rst nationally in defensive efficiency and block about 1 in every 7 shots their opponents attempt. They also rebound well (which should surprise no one given all their height).

There are some chinks in the Noles armor which thus far threatens to prevent them from repeating as the ACC champion. On offense after Polite, the Noles 3 point shooting is down right rude (if you pull for the garnet and gold). Stop him and the Noles will still fire away, but with much lesser threats.

On defense FSU fouls a lot, and their opponents get to the line at a high clip. In a bit of a statistical oddity, opposing teams are making 78% of their free throws against Florida State.

NC State can win this game, but it will take a lot more than we saw against Miami. We will need first half KK for the entire game — rotating players, pushing tempo, pressing, and staying away from a possession game. Even then it feels to me like the Pack has given FSU it’s best effort the last two years only to come up short. Style wise we just have not matched up well.

If there is a real bright spot for the Pack it is that FSU has had a long layoff due to COVID in their program. Their last game was December 29th. The Pack should be the better conditioned team.

The computers like FSU by 4 and think there’s a 66% chance that Florida State is winning. Given the effects of COVID, I have no clue whether the game will get played, much less how much of an impact it will have on the Noles’ conditioning and shooting.

Poll time
  1. Who wins?19 votes
    1. NC State Wolfpack
      15.79%
    2. FSU Seminoles
      84.21%
  2. Will the Pack play 40 minutes with the foot on the gas?19 votes
    1. Yes — forty minutes of hell, wearing a big and winded FSU out
      10.53%
    2. No — bad KK shows up again in the second half and tries to play possession basketball
      89.47%

Comments

• SamIamSamIam Posts: 828

Someone fill in the definition of insanity. Insane should be our banner.

• SamIamSamIam Posts: 828

I should have said....

Come on guys, really? Do we really expect anything different?

• jppackattackjppackattack Posts: 1,454

We done dug ourselves a hole now, and we're staring down several desperate teams capable of beating anyone at any time. The light could come on for this game but I'm not counting on it.

• choppack1choppack1 Posts: 2,820

6:30?? Odd tip off time for a weekend

• AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 4,792

time to reset your calendar. Today be GAME DAY. Wear BLACK or RED....anything else would be inappropriate.

Don't worry, the older you get, the more you lose track of time and reality...or so I've been told, or think I was told or got fussed at...LOL

• I don't look for a win on this one. As always, I HOPE for a win and feel like we can win if we play smart, rebound well, and shoot well from the free throw line (oh, wait, that would probably win most games.) Will we do that? I hope so!

As for losing track of the days . . . working from home during the pandemic (since late March) has totally messed up my sense of where I'm at on the calendar. My church actually meets in person (in a very large building with a very high ceiling and only a fraction of our usual crowd) so I DO go to church on Sunday mornings and that helps some with the disorientation. Having noted that, there have still been some very odd moments when I think, "Oh, I think I'll pop out to the shop and work on . . ." and then suddenly realize it's Thursday (or whatever) NOT Saturday. Still, I am EXTREMELY thankful to have a good job that allows me to work this way under the circumstances . . . so many folks aren't so blessed.

Go Wolfpack!

• choppack1choppack1 Posts: 2,820

Whoops Roo - meant weekday game.

• Fastback68Fastback68 Posts: 1,561

It’ll be one of those type losses where if the equivalent effort had been applied to the Clemson and Miami games the team would be 4-1.

• ^Exactly

• TexpackTexpack Posts: 4,186

I think this is my least anticipated MBB game in the last five years. No flow to the season and we haven’t had the Puke/Cheaters orgasmiganza ad campaign on ESPN yet. Doesn’t seem like basketball season.

• KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 5,423PFN Referee

Got my NC State BLACK on, ah has dun mah part!

• freshmanin83freshmanin83 Posts: 2,336PFN Referee

Given past history i figure the Pack will come out and execute well and get a solid win and have me thinking wow we could really do something this year.

• TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 3,901PFN Referee
    edited January 2021

I'm watching youtube videos instead.. at least for now... My interest and care for how we fair continues to wane. :(

Like.. do I spend my afternoon mad as hell or do I just enjoy the afternoon instead?

• A million and one 3's being taken tonight. Looks like this could get ugly. Come on pack!

• freshmanin83freshmanin83 Posts: 2,336PFN Referee

Hmm seems I was wrong ... Bye a mile.

• OldMan94OldMan94 Posts: 171

FSU is good and we are really, really bad....

It appears the team shares my lack of interest. Pathetic effort

Bates out. Fundy running his mouth. Did Moore get any minutes? DD is fully super hero costume however, FSU has cache of Keyponite....Beverly color blind. Thinks gold is red. But other than that, Mrs. Trump, did you have a good day. Troll, forgive me...sarcasm

Chicken Tortilla soup at half with at least 2 two Oz shots....may be my only hope.

HBCC KK needs to forfeit and get on plane and come back to .Raleigh. Unless there is a miracle, we are doomed and some Brackets idiot has us first FOUR out. OMG. That lad needs to be committed...

• WolfWiz11WolfWiz11 Posts: 475

Just turned off Bleacher Report notifications for NCSU bball.

This is the way.

• KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 5,423PFN Referee

I went back to Football Manager (Feb 2080 now, I may be losing my last marbles) at 28-13. Regret nothing!!

• PackPACPackPAC Posts: 759

FSU is just making them look silly. I was there in person for the sub-30 pt VT game, I think this one is more embarrassing, FSU can score 130 if they want to. Don't think the Pack will make it to 50.

Hard to believe we wasted all that gas to fly down there.

• Fastback68Fastback68 Posts: 1,561

Nice defense

• TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 3,901PFN Referee

Just checked the final.. I believe I made the right decision to tune OUT tonight!

HBBC KK should have dress out the starters and given them new masks and Greyhound tickets for Raleigh. Then put in whoever was les and told them that unless they got the final margin to under 20, they had to hitchhike..

Swapped Tequila for Rum st dinner. Didn’t help. Even DW wanted my special pineapple rum concoction.

OK, I was advised...cheer up, things could be worse. Did that...and how’d that turn out. 105 points and a new FSU scoring record.

F>U>G>L>Y is a gross understatement. We played like we were shooting a KickerBall