Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

New Year, Same Old (Mutating) #NuAIDS! - Bowl Extravaganza Game Thread

I don't have to tell you that, outside of Mike O'Cain's finest moment (Peach Bowl win over a ruthlessly physical Cowbells squadron - my best memory is tiny Carl Reeves scooting underneath their two mammoth, 1st-round NFL calibre OL) - we ain't done so hot against the Conference That Means MOAR.

Vanderbilt absolutely humiliated us a few years back. James Franklin's Vanderbilt, but still...fucking VANDERBILT! We also had that regular season tilt against Tennessee, at their nadir - and they ran the same fly route over and over, making us look like a bad high school team.

So, let the Holes have A&M. Or, more specifically, let A&M have their way with the Holes, treating them like "new fish" at a maximum security prison. Kenfucky is much more NC State's speed.

That's not to say the Wildcats are shite, or even not-SEC calibre. Under Mark Stoops, they've become that "constant pain in the ass" team, that may not win more than they lose (especially against the elite sides), but they generally make you earn it.

What they don't really have, at least this season? Much of a passing game. They run, and play solid defense. But neither said run game nor said defense is overwhelming - which is why I give our Wolven Sort a puncher's chance in this game. Kenfucky is favoured by 2.5 - which seems about right to me. If we don't have to worry about an explosive passing game, then I think we can defend the run adequately. Not shut it down completely - but enough that the ask of our offense will/can be manageable.

And that's where the game will be won or lost - can Hockman make enough plays with his arm, to keep UK out of 8 or 9 men in the box (PHRASING). Because as good as our OL has been, we ain't running successfully against that alignment, with SEC talent.

I have no idea what will happen, but as I see it - it's all upside. The odds of being humiliated are fairly low. We aren't expected to win, the exhibition season overall has seen VERY uneven performances, and any non-Vandy SEC win is something you can sell to recruits. Let's pay our money and take our chance.

Macro Level Thoughts on the Matchup
  1. How do you see these squadrons matching up?18 votes
    1. State should overwhelm Kenfucky
      11.11%
    2. State doesn't belong on the same pitch with Kenfucky
        5.56%
    3. Pretty even and interesting, really
      77.78%
    4. My brain done melted from 2020, quit asking me questions
        5.56%

Comments

• jppackattackjppackattack Posts: 1,454
    edited December 2020

Thanks, Hippo. I was contemplating our track record against the SEC the other day and it was not a fun mental exercise. Don't forget the back to back SC losses, the absolute destruction at the hands of a very mediocre Tennessee team, to go along with the flat out butt kickings we took most recently. I as you could only recall the Peach Bowl win against a solid cowbell team, as our only significant win against the SEC. UK is not in that league but nevertheless I must side with history in thinking we'll lose another one. I'd feel slightly different if I didn't think we'd be missing several key contributors due to injury or opting out. Just hope it doesn't turn out like the OU UF game last night, that would squash any momentum we might have at this point.

• KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 5,423PFN Referee

Fortunately, I doubt they have the talent to horse-whip us like that, and their overall depth should be similar to ours.

• ryebreadryebread Posts: 3,298PFN Referee
    edited January 2021

Call me crazy but I like the Pack. DD has to be able to sell the “disrespect” angle given the team with the losing record will be favored to beat his squad. If that isn’t enough locker room material to keep the team focused, I don’t know what is. The Pack should be sharp and looking for some national respect.

We normally do well against fairly one dimensional teams, particularly if that one dimension is running. No McNeil would really hurt given he anchors the 3-3-5, but I honestly cannot remember if he has opted out.

But in the end it comes down to Hockman and Beck. We’ll need to scheme a way to put him in advantageous positions, and then he needs to execute within his lane and not try to win it by himself.

• Pack78Pack78 Posts: 961

Think Cincy, Bama, and Clem's son will all roll like a big wheel today; A&M manana as well...Pack wins a close one!

edited January 2021

In Klemp-tOSU, I have no choice but to go with the lesser of two evils, tOSU. My stomach cannot take anymore Yabbo Dabbo Doo media coverage.

jp: Dabo’s starting to sour with the media. I read a much more balanced view of him nationally in the last couple of days that wasn’t so sweet.

• TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 3,901PFN Referee

Thanks again, Hippo, for the excellent write-up. This one could end up in OT.

I'm going to be starting a 3 day binge of football over here on my couch around lunchtime today! I told myself that I made it through 2020 so I deserve it.

• TexpackTexpack Posts: 4,186
    edited January 2021

Imagine the year when you like your chances against UK Basketball better than UK Football.

Watching the ACC’s bowl performances thus far leaves little doubt as to how putrid the league was this year. Can the PACK keep the league from going winless?

• SamIamSamIam Posts: 828

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA BO

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA BO

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA BO

• SamIamSamIam Posts: 828

seriously though, how are the pack?:

1. underdog against a 4-6 team
    2. the "visitor" wearing road uni's

Let's see if we can do our talking on the field, unlike St. Dodo and his bunch of "all in" champions...

• Any word on State players opting out for the bowl? I saw the baby blues will be without their 2800 yards of running backs.

Anyone notice that all the ESPN ad bumpers yesterday...only mentioned the 4p and 8p fixtures? ESPN is televising our game, but pretending like it doesn't exist?

One trusts that "keen to hear even perceived slights" Doeren sure noticed. PLEASE have the boys out FOAR BLOOD today.

• choppack1choppack1 Posts: 2,820
    edited January 2021

Alim is a scratch. We will also be without Wilson and Thomas (injuries) and Ingle (full game suspension for 3rd targeting.)

Just need our Wolven Sort not to say "hold our beer!" in response to the mental question of "how could NC State POSSIBLY make me as angry as Everton did yesterday?"

Several years ago when our son was too little to pronounce three syllable words consistently, he called them "Tucky". This is how I shall refer to them in this thread.

• freshmanin83freshmanin83 Posts: 2,336PFN Referee

Did I hear right the Pack missing 4 D starters?

• AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 4,790

YES. One suspension, One opt out and 2 on the Injured list.

The shot of HFBC DD adjusting his hat and getting ready was telling. The boy has aged a bit.

• TexpackTexpack Posts: 4,186

Dumb ass strikes early

I wish these two jackinapes would just CALL THE GAME ON THE FIELD.

I thought they were speaking of things not known.

It seems Tucky should be able to "name the number" of rushing yards they want in this game.

Irritating commentary and Pack play so far.