Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

December Exhibition Destination Rumour Thread

KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 5,423PFN Referee
edited December 2020 in Wolfpack Sports

Put your speculations - informed or not - here!

Comments

• Pack78Pack78 Posts: 961

Sounds like it could be either Cheez-It (Orlando) or Gator (Jax)...I'm good either way. Might be competing with the Cheats for either one-Go Canes!

• Fastback68Fastback68 Posts: 1,561

I’d like Iowa, or Texas or Wisconsin in that order. AP top 25 teams

• choppack1choppack1 Posts: 2,820

Give us a Big 10 team. I want nothing to do with an SEC opponent...it will not end well unless their name is Vanderbilt.

• Fastback68Fastback68 Posts: 1,561

The sec options are not ranked high.

• KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 5,423PFN Referee

Unranked SEC would be much tougher than ranked B1G. Unless is Indiana, they'd kick our teeth in.

• Posted this in the GaTech game thread....ESPN has us in the Cheez-It Bowl against Texas.

• Checked the ESPN link from the other thread. It has UNC-Cheat playing Ole Miss in the Gator I believe.

What are the 2020 “rules”? Ole Miss has only won 4 games and has TAMU as one of 2 remaining games. How can they play in the Gator Bowl?

• ryebreadryebread Posts: 3,298PFN Referee
    edited December 2020

I posted this in the GT thread about a possible bowl:

• We'd be better off against a slightly lesser team that is passing oriented, particularly if McNeill decides to opt out of the bowl. I think if any team watches extensive tape against us, they'll see we stink against the run -- particularly if he's sitting out on the play.
    • A win against a lesser team that gets us to 9 wins is much better than getting shelled by a good team.
    • A team with some hogs on the line AND speed in the backfield will crush us. We don't want any part with a team that "underperformed relative to the talent they ooze" type of bowl opponent.

whitefang: Bowls are and have always been rather meaningless exhibitions. There are no rules this year about the minimal # of wins because of COVID.

The bowls (as we know them) need to go away. This needs to go to a 16 game playoff. If bowls want to still exist (and be sort of like the NIT) then so be it. Bowls could also be the sights for the playoff games.

Until there is a 16 team playoff, we're going to see more and more players opting out early. And I don't blame them for a second. I would tell my kid to do the same thing (if they had legit NFL chances).

• Maybe the team should "opt out" of its bowl participation in honor of this jacked up season? I am being only slight sarcastic...

Pros:

• Bowls get teams more offseason practice and conditioning days.
    • A nice southern bowl gets the team some winter sun.
    • A win gets the conference some $$$ in the shared pool.
    • Bowl travel might get some teams an opportunity to bubble up.

Flip side:

• Good bowl destinations are all kind of hot spots
    • COVID may cancel the bowl anyways
    • If it is a COVID cancellation, then that looks like a potential big loss $$$.

HFBC DD will reward the team. It'll be up to Boo to balance the budget. If I were Boo, I would lobby for the Charlotte bowl and keep the team in Raleigh.

• TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 3,899PFN Referee

Best 100% UNeducated guess... Beatdown incoming from an SEC team?

• Using the measure that championships are all that matter, then bowls are meaningless. But I’m afraid by that measure, my favorite team, State, may never play a “meaningful” post season game in my lifetime. My senior year at State was our last ACC championship, and as I recall we didn’t go to a bowl then.

But college football does have entertainment value and watching, and occasionally attending, bowl games can be entertaining. They’re usually some interesting match-ups between teams that rarely if ever meet. Especially with this COVID-season being so conference-centric.

I’m sure though we’re going to see more cancellations and opt-outs. I hope the team gets a good “bowl reward.” They’ve certainly achieved more than many expected including me.

edited December 2020

In a 16 game playoff, NC State MIGHT get to play a meaningful postseason football game. In the current four team system, I would agree that NC State will never play one.

Spending $$$ to try to do what is successful with football for NC State is just not a wise move. Our administration pays lip service because they know that's what pays the bills, but if you look at where the money actually gets spent you know they recognize this and do something else.

I think it's only going to get worse when the P5 break away from the NCAA. I find it laughable that what it will take to "reform what ails college sports" is to further stratify into money tiers. That won't do anything other than turn up the arms race and entrench the current stratified model.

• choppack1choppack1 Posts: 2,820

my thoughts align more with whitefang on this. College football grew into a behemoth with the bowl structure in place. The thing that separated college football from every other sport was that you could have an incredibly special season without losing your last game. As such, fans were rewarded for spending their Saturday’s in the college town of their choice.

A large playoff- would add more drama - but could really screw up this dynamic. It took a while, but with a few exceptions, this is exactly what’s happened to college basketball. No one cares about the regular season with the exception of a couple of games - and the attendance shows that. Ultimately, a 16 or 32 team playoff would be wildly entertaining and successful. However, there’s a good chance the overall product would suffer, especially for those P5 teams with little hope to make the playoffs.

As for potential at NC State, NC has started to emerge as a talent rich state. Given that football is where the money is and our fanbase’s obvious affinity for the game, it makes sense that we try to leverage what we can. There’s no gold in creating the most awesome Sears cup athletic program.

chop: While I respect your opinion, I don't think the expanded tournament means that no one shows up to college basketball. It is correlation but not causation.

No one shows up to college basketball for many reasons, most of which have to do with television and the scheduling of games. If you take a weekend game in the afternoon or early evening against a decent opponent, those games have good attendance. A 9 PM game on a Tuesday against a cupcake? Not so much, and there are far too many of those games on the schedule.

The impact of the TV is having the same impact on college football. Outside of top line games, I see a whole lot of empty seats on most casual games I watch. Those fans aren't in seats regardless of whether or not their team might end their season with a win in the "mid-market, sparsely attended, December 23rd, regional corporate sponsor bowl."

A lot of programs (not just UNC) had taken seats out of their stadiums. We've just not seen this at NC State because of the brilliance that was PSLs.

Well, that was prior to COVID. COVID means everything has empty seats.

I'm not going back to either in person on a regular basis. It's fine for once a year for the in person excitement, but generally my TV on demand where I can blow through breaks and commercials is a vastly superior experience at far lesser expense.

• Raleigh.

Covid Bowl

• Also as far as comparing fb to basketball, fb is just different. A human can only play so many games. If you take out meaningless bowls and move to a 16 team playoff, that’s essentially 8 bowls. Yes I realize there’s 7 more “bowls” but it’s a subset of the same teams.

There’s no conference tournament in fb like in bb where you MIGHT win a few games and keep a dream alive. Certainly no 66 team tournament with Cinderella’s playing. So what are they playing for after they’re essentially eliminated from the Power 5 conf championships?

The current #4 ACC team in the standings (State) was essentially eliminated from playing in the conf championship 5 weeks ago. The current #5 (UNC) 4 weeks ago, and the #6 (BC) had 2 conf losses 7 weeks ago. Without a bowl shot, why continue to put forth the effort after the first half of the season?

• KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 5,423PFN Referee

I have said it before, and will say it again - the Bowls exist as cheap TV programming for ESPN and Palz. There is no difference in that calculus if one shifts to a 16-team playoff. You just open the dance hall to a whole slew of additional teams (like NC State) who will never make a 4 or 8-team tourney in our lifetimes.

• 100 percent agree. A 16 team playoff? Maybe, just maybe in out lifetime.

We're just asking for one magical season of football where we can go to an ACC Championship game (win?) and go to a bowl/playoff where our first thought isn't about our opponent being too good and crushing our collective dreams.

• Vawolf82Vawolf82 Posts: 1,404PFN Referee
    edited December 2020

WRAL's take from yesterday:

With four games (the Sun, Holiday, Pinstripe and Fenway) already canceled, the ACC’s selection order after the College Football Playoff process (which includes the Orange Bowl) will go like this:

1. Cheez-It Bowl (Orlando, Fla.)

2. Gator Bowl (Jacksonville, Fla.)

3. Duke’s Mayo Bowl (Charlotte)

4. Military Bowl (Annapolis, Md.)

The league also has extra slots with the Gasparilla Bowl (Tampa, Fla.) and the Boca Raton Bowl this year...

NC State’s landing spot will be tied to the result of the ACC championship game. If Notre Dame wins, that would knock Clemson down to the Orange Bowl and likely the two Florida games would go to Miami (8-1) and UNC (7-3).

That would likely send the Wolfpack to Duke’s Mayo Bowl on Dec. 30. For the first time this year, the Big Ten is the opponent.

But who wouldn't like a shot at the Gasparilla Bowl ?

• Hogw1ldHogw1ld Posts: 496

I thought somebody posted that the mayo bowl was cancelled?

Not one of the ones mentioned in yesterday's yahoo sports article:

Here is the list of 2020-21 bowl games that have been canceled:

• Bahamas Bowl (C-USA vs. MAC)
    • Celebration Bowl (MEAC vs. SWAC)
    • Fenway Bowl (AAC vs. ACC)
    • Hawaii Bowl (AAC vs. Mountain West)
    • Holiday Bowl (ACC vs. Pac-12)
    • Las Vegas Bowl (Pac-12 vs. SEC)
    • Los Angeles Bowl (Pac-12 vs. Mountain West)
    • Pinstripe Bowl (ACC vs. Big Ten)
    • Quick Lane Bowl (ACC, Big Ten, MAC)
    • Redbox Bowl (Big Ten vs. Pac-12)
    • Sun Bowl (ACC vs. Pac-12)

https://sports.yahoo.com/list-of-202021-college-football-bowl-games-canceled-due-to-covid-19-173529933.html

• Hogw1ldHogw1ld Posts: 496

I'd be fine with the Mayo bowl. Big Ten opponent. Keep the boys close to home. And, well, Duke's Mayo!!