Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

College Hoops Other Games Thread

BooHooWa loses to San Francisco

Comments

• TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 3,158PFN Referee

Turkey day hangover.. seems like it happens every year to somebody

• Vawolf82Vawolf82 Posts: 1,033PFN Referee

Better now than to 16 seed in March.

• ryebreadryebread Posts: 2,675PFN Referee

UVA’s slow it down style always leaves them vulnerable to teams of lesser skill. It just takes one really hot from three and there’s your upset. While I would love their national and ACC titles, I will never enjoy their style of play. What will suck is when they hold, bump and hack their way through the ACC, making this loss felt by the rest of the league in the computer numbers.

Pastner’s group is 0-2. Maybe Mercer was a case of dead legs, but it sure looks like GT will be at the bottom of the ACC this year.

WF already looks better coached...

• 44rules44rules Posts: 527

Oh yeah, I would hate to watch UVA style ball all the time. Much prefer KK, Paul Westhead, Arkansas 40 minutes of hell. But for those UVA results, I'd bite the bullet.

VT come from down double-digits in the 2nd half to force OT on ESPNU.

Of course, they had a two pt lead with 1.3 seconds left and had a crazy turn of events to end regulation. A foul on Nova was overturned to a foul on VT. Nova player got 1/1 to tie the game and VT's 1/2 court toss didn't go down.

VT wins by 8 in OT

And without Cone. VT looks like a team on the rise.

44: I agree. I would put up with that style for the wins, but would also know you are one hot shooting 3 point night away from virtually any team beating you. And SF aren’t world beaters. They’d already lost to Umass-Lowell (not Amherst).

Duke goes up 17 at half but then gets a bit sloppy in the second against Coppin State.

• TexpackTexpack Posts: 3,199

BooHooWa trailing Kent State at the under 8:00 TO

• Dook wins against Bellarmine (who?) 76-54. Bellarmine was playing their first ever D-1 game. One would think this is one the Dookies would win 135-60.

Read the details - Dook went on a 19-2 run to pull away. Take that out and it's a pretty close game.

Who am I to argue with K and his philosophy but the constant annual turnover his teams have become is bad for the game and is definitely not a "team" concept.

• I've actually heard of Bellarmine before as my daughter lives in Kentucky and is friends with one of their ex hoops players.

Shocked that they stayed close, although I think in the past they had some ex UofL recruits.

GT takes down Kentucky and Duke's struggling this year too (by their standards).......... The one and done might be losing its luster, or it could show you just how much certain teams benefit from those offseason trips they take (yes, I know it's supposedly once every 4 years) and summer leagues that they run on their own campuses (ahem, looking at you Duke).

• Pack78Pack78 Posts: 550

For those that might have missed it, ACCN is re-running four of our wins from '83 in the tournament: 2PM-10PM

• ACCN might go Full-on TBS with re-runs.

Covid cancels content.

• GasHouseGangstaGasHouseGangsta Posts: 651
    edited December 2020

I'm working with some producers on a multi-part documentary on the ACC tournament. I'm impressed by how much time and money has been put into it. COVID really threw a kink in it, but I think one of the effects has been that the older tournaments will get more play and time in the series, which in my opinion, isn't a bad thing. Coach Case figures large!

Thanks for the notice. I never saw any of the UNLV game and enjoyed that.

• Pack78Pack78 Posts: 550

^I remember Sidney Green dissing Thurl before the game. saying he wasn't impressed-probably had a different opinion postgame...

• 1984Met1984Met Posts: 814

Wonder what Sidney Green's opinion was of him in the NBA?

That sounds awesome. If you can, please let the community know how we might see this when the time is right.

I don't know you "personally" at all, but from what I read here you seem to know college sports.

• SamIamSamIam Posts: 638

Question, and I've asked it before....

Does it not bother, bug, infuriate, piss off, whatever that every year during Jimmy V week NC State is as non existent as can be? Jim Valvano, the man we celebrate became that legend (coaching legend at least) as the head dude at NC State. How in the holy hell we have only made one appearance in the tournament or...heaven for freaking bid we host a tournament is beyond me. I just do not get it and it gripes my ass. How alumni do not scream for involvement or to host such tournament is beyond me. Can you imagine a Dean Smith week with no signs of UNC? Of course not and or course that wouldn't happen anyway. Do we try? Do we ask? Do we do anything other than just accept whatever comes our way? I really am curious.

It chaps my hide as well, and has for years. It is our ONE week a year to leverage ESPN for free advertising. How can we not take advantage?

I've decided that NC State could screw up a 2 car parade..........

• 1984Met1984Met Posts: 814

I have always thought that the Jimmy V tournament has been an ESPN tournament since its start. It used to bug me too that State does not get invited. But I'm okay now as I am fairly disgusted with ESPN.

• Yep, chaps my ass as well. Fans can be pissed, but the administration sent him on his way where he gained more fame with everyone else via ESPN.

They just saw the opportunity to market the crap out of the idea and create the tournament.

I'm curious what his wife and family think about NC State.

Oh well, at least the ladies team appeared in the women's edition of the tourney.

• SamIamSamIam Posts: 638

I agree with the distaste for ESPN. I'd like to see our new AD capitalize on the unique situation by marketing the piss out of NC State. Let ESPN have their Jimmy V tournament in New York City or wherever it is. Why not start an NC State sponsored tournament in Raleigh, in Reynolds. Talk about the hair on the back of your neck standing up, tears running down your face proud to be a wolfpack. Can you imagine the lights going down in the building as we play the "real" Jimmy V speech in the very place it took place. I loved that man and I loved that building, email Boo today.

Contact ESPN and say we'll play for free for a decade in the JimmyV. I'm sure they'll snap up State on both sides in a second.

View it as a loss leader........

• KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 4,367PFN Referee

We treated V like shit, so maybe that's our Karma for same. The widow V and their children continue(d) to love NC State, in spite of it all.