Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

A Meaningful Fixture Against Duke (Timeline Seeming...Less Dark??) Game Thread

KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 3,916PFN Referee
Let's be honest - NC State football already has as many wins as the most optimistic Wolven Sort expected from 2020.  Now, comes the dangerous phase.  When we foolishly start to hope.

Maybe we can be over .500!  Maybe we can screw up the Holes' "dream" season!  Maybe Lucy really will keep that football on the pitch, laces OUT even!!

Oh, how dangerous a time this is to face a cornered animal like David Cutcliffe's Blue Devils.

I mean, you could argue that the pressure lifted a bit, after their win away to SillyCuse last weekend.  But Cuse are dreck, and everyone knows it.  Cutcliffe has always walked a tightrope at Duke, because there is NO WAY to have major program quality depth, nor to be able to simply "re-load" after a productive senior class matriculates.

But, Cutcliffe always rallies his troops.  He's an excellent coach.  Expect them to give us their best on Saturday.  It is up to NC State to ensure their best isn't good enough.

A "B-minus" performance will almost surely NOT suffice.

Comments

• TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 2,851PFN Referee
    Nice write up, KH.  Yes, leave it to NC State to ALWAYS suck you back in.

"4-1" would just look so pretty.
  • Amen to what KH wrote above!  I am also concerned that the kids might be inclined to look past Duke (at 0-4) and be thinking about UNX.  
  • 1984Met1984Met Posts: 665
    edited October 14
    I strongly dislike the new ACC.  State and Duke played football with no breaks that I could find from 1924 to 2003.  Since 2003, they have only played in 2008, 2009, and 2013.  It is no fun not to play your nearest rivals but every once in a while.

Here are a couple of links on the history of the matchup:
    http://www.winsipedia.com/games/duke/vs/north-carolina-state
    Amen to what KH wrote above!  I am also concerned that the kids might be inclined to look past Duke (at 0-4) and be thinking about UNX.  
    Oh crap, I had not realized that was next game up?!  Guess 'Ronavirus caused scheduling disruption so they're not at the end of the schedule.

I agree 100% this sets up nicely as a trap game.
  • ryebreadryebread Posts: 2,311PFN Referee
    Amen to what KH wrote above!  I am also concerned that the kids might be inclined to look past Duke (at 0-4) and be thinking about UNX.  
    +1 to this. Duke is your classic trap game. On paper they look "weak" due to records, but that is largely due to turnovers.  All Duke has to do is value the ball a bit more and their record could look much better.

My sense via marriage and friendship with numerous Duke alums is that Duke doesn't care about beating State. It's not a game they get up for. I don't see any "extra" motivation being at play for Duke, so it will just be a game on the schedule where are trying to improve.

Duke's well coached, and things will eventually come together for them.  Let's hope it is not this week.  

It'd be nice for State to come in, establish a rushing attack, eat the clock and give Leary another confidence boosting game. It'd also be good for State's defense to force a couple of turnovers against a squad that seems willing to give them up.  And hey, I'd like a confident kicker too, so seeing some FGs go through the uprights would be nice as well.

I think State by closer than most expect due to the trap aspect.....

• KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 3,916PFN Referee
    It's only "State -5" - so Vegas sees us as only a point or two better.
  • GsoPackBackerGsoPackBacker Posts: 1,108
    The fact that any game on our schedule can be a trap game speaks perfectly to KH's point that we've exceeded expectations.  

It's been a weird year and I don't know what to make of this game.  All I know is that I too have been somewhat sucked in, and at some point this team will likely crush my fragile hopes as they often do.
  • TexpackTexpack Posts: 2,779
    31-27 Pack
    edited October 15
    I think most of our fans are going to think State by 10-21.  While it might happen and I’d love for it to, it feels like the line (which appears to have tightened) is about right.
  • I think we should just play the goal line D every down.
  • SamIamSamIam Posts: 537
    Incredible we pull out a couple of victories after looking like one of the worst programs in the country and we're talking about "looking past" teams and being favorites and disputing lines.  Damn I love "us" Wolfpack fans!!!

Gas I agree, pack the box and pull the corners in.  What's the worst that can happen??? We get the ball back faster either way.
  • Fastback68Fastback68 Posts: 930
    I remember DD’s first season because everyone was pointing at how Cutcliffe had turned Duke around.  They haven’t done much since that title game loss.  Give DD a chance thread.  Good Times.
    ryebread said:
    I think most of our fans are going to think State by 10-21.  While it might happen and I’d love for it to, it feels like the line (which appears to have tightened) is about right.
    Another NC State fan blog site that some of us frequent has their predictions up. The average predicted margin of victory is 14 points with 50% of their predictors picking more than a 7 point win.

I hope they're right, but State had better be ready.
  • Pack78Pack78 Posts: 452
    KH-Ain't Dook 1-4?
    edited October 17
    Pack78 said:
    KH-Ain't Dook 1-4?
    Well I'll be.  They are 1-4.  That was my bad, not KH.. I've fixed the banner.  Thanks for the correction :smile:

Kids, the line is down to 3.5.  Hold me, I's scared.

/plus, already died 1,000 deaths with Everton this morning
    We look pretty focused.  So far.
    /sigh of resignation
    That was poor
    Glad we only play Duke once every 7 years 
    Is this shit not on YoutubeTV?  Pay $65 and don't have the fucking local Duke State game.  Assholes.
  • gvlpackfangvlpackfan Posts: 152
    Hulu live has the game. 
  • gvlpackfangvlpackfan Posts: 152
    You aren’t missing much TAT. We look bad today. 
  • PackPACPackPAC Posts: 409
    You’re not missing much TAT. 
    Hulu live has the game. 
    Appreciate it!  Was able to do the 7 day trial.  Hulu Live only $55 so I'll be switching I think after YoutubeTV runs out.