Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

Taking On Wahoowa en el Timeline Mas Dark-o

KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 3,916PFN Referee
Charlottesville, Virginia.  Freaking beautiful town.  Full of smug, self-entitled assholes.  Not counting the caramel-hued Jefferson heirs.  :smiley:

I went to a game there once!  It was apparently "Plead the Fifth" day, or "Fifth Year Fifth" - or who knows how many other names.  But each UVA senior was expected to consume an entire fifth of al-kee-hawl while INSIDE THE STANDIUM.  And boy howdy, was there participation.

We kicked the tar shit out of them, too.

Of course, my not-in-person memories of these fixtures...are less good.  Most importantly, there was the 1986 trip, where a 2-win UVA side beat us 14-10, ultimately costing us the ACC title (Son of Clem only then had to tie away to Maryland the next week, which they did on a short FG, 9-9).  This was the week AFTER the untimed down Hail Mary to beat South Cakalaky.  Often overlooked on that play?  Erik Kramer getting flattened, aggravating an ankle injury, and causing him to miss the Charlottesville trip.

Or QB depth was...not great.

I also recall my freshman year at State, Fall of 1991.  It was TRACS registration day, so almost everyone from my dorm was stuck hitting "re-dial" instead.  Me and one other dude were in University Scholars, and had registered early.

This turned out not to be super lucky, as it was JUST over freezing, rainy, and windy.  When UVA took a 21-nil lead in the bloody 2nd quarter, we decided it was time to go.  But on the way out, I went by my family's seats.  Only my Dad and little brother were dumb enough to go - seems my mom and little sister, like, checked the weather forecast.

By the time we arrived, it was 28-nil.  

Me: "How's it going?"
Late Father: "How do you think?"
Me: "I'm getting out of here before I keel over dead, what about y'all?"
LF: "PAID for the tickets, might as well stay."

My brother, agonized with rain all over his glasses, just stared straight ahead, saying nothing.  I forget why I didn't at least offer to rescue the poor fucker.  He wasn't a narc or anything.

By the time we got back to the car (we ran to reduce the time of exposure - pretty impressive given that I couldn't feel my feet anymore), it was 35-nil.

But the past is the past.  Discard like a used #NuAIDS tissue.  Now we have HOPE!  Having gone on the road and got a richly deserved and equally unexpected win over the JV Stillers.  Shit, The Athletic now ranks us 27th out of 77 teams playing.  That's almost top third!!

UVA has beaten Duke soundly at home, lost by a nigh-equal margin away to Clemson.  So...we really know fuckall about how good or bad they might be.  Likewise, they have no idea which version of the Schizo-Pack will show up.  Let's find out together, shall we?

Obligatory Athletic preview (9th - better than Wake, worse than Pitt and VPI):

9. Virginia

The good news for the ‘Hoos is that they get to be the reigning Coastal Division champs for another year — a perk of a season without divisions. Many of the pieces that made that magical 2019 season possible have moved on, setting expectations a great deal lower.

See, nobody knows shit.

Talk at me, Imaginary Wolven Friends!
  1. How strong an opponent will UVA turn out to be in 2020?17 votes
    1. Strong team, Coastal contender if there were only divisions
      41.18%
    2. Weak team, they peaked last season and have a long, hard rebuild ahead
      29.41%
    3. Purgatory, but like, for football squadrons
      29.41%

Comments

• ryebreadryebread Posts: 2,311PFN Referee
    BJD: I love the color in the write up.  I remember the 1986 and 1991 games. I seem to remember being at the 1991 game and UVA ran the same slant pass to the slot receiver over and over and over again.  We couldn't stop it.  If it wasn't that game, then it was another home game against UVA that went down about then.

Your mention of TRACs also brought back memories, as did the glory of getting to register for classes early (and the Scholars Program).  Remember the red and white course book?

As for this game, UVA did better than I expected against Clemson. One could argue that the score was closer than the game, but if you look down the stat line, UVA also ran for 147 yards against the Tigers (and out rushed them) and put up 417 yards. Does that give them hope, or are they a bit beaten up after tangling with the Tigers?  I think that is a key question.

A second one is NC State's mental state.  I'd much rather be coming in off of a "come from behind road upset" and 2-1 than "letting one get away" and being 1-2, but how focused is the team this week?  Are they seeing UVA and Duke on the schedule and thinking 4-1? Is Leary going to work as hard this week as he did last, or does he think his name is already on the side of Carter Finley after the Rivers/Wilson comparisons?  The staff needs the team focused on this week and not upcoming games.

The third is whether we can find any sort of run defense against a team wanting to run. I'm not convinced Pitt really wanted to run this past weekend.  Teams that have been committed to it (VT and WF) have thus far.  UVA is going to run it, so can the Pack stop them?
  • Vawolf82Vawolf82 Posts: 787PFN Referee
    I remember the game in the rain in Raleigh during the MOC years.   For years afterwards, the preview in the local paper would mention the rain and the UVa loss.   Welsh stupidly went for fourth and short rather than kick the FG in the fourth quarter.   Surprisingly, State held and that move (plus the muddy field) cost UVA the game.

UVA had a stud a RB that year; but can't remember his name.
  • whitefangwhitefang Posts: 17
    Love the intro! Both my sons graduated from UVa, and they’d love it too.
    Last State game I attended was UVa in Raleigh 2 seasons ago - future DinL’s family has 2 parking spaces and 7 tickets in C-F - and she & I were pulling for State, and of course my sons, wife, and one DinL (UVa grad too) had to suffer through our s&%$ talking. As I said on another post, lately I avoid the State letdown by avoiding watching, but I won’t be able to avoid this one because if they beat, us I’ll hear about it for the next week.
    Now the best UVa rant of all time was Cowherd’s. My kids can recite it word for word:
    https://youtu.be/RidU6ILUQNE
  • Has anybody noticed that we play EVERY team in the former and future Coastal Division this year? So we will play more Coastal teams this year than any actual Coastal Division member will ever have to play in a season?!  And we don't have either Clemson (good), Louisville (maybe bad, they are looking iffy this year) or Boston College (always an iffy game for us) on our schedule!

If we win out, and VaTech loses two games to Coastal members, should we get rings?
  • Fastback68Fastback68 Posts: 930
    I was at that game in 1991.  They plowed us under.  The wife graduated in 1991 and we went to the Peach Bowls then a 25 year hiatus before going back to C-F.  

VT better do their damn job this week.
    Vawolf82 said:
    I remember the game in the rain in Raleigh during the MOC years.   For years afterwards, the preview in the local paper would mention the rain and the UVa loss.   Welsh stupidly went for fourth and short rather than kick the FG in the fourth quarter.   Surprisingly, State held and that move (plus the muddy field) cost UVA the game.

UVA had a stud a RB that year; but can't remember his name.
    Terry Kirby was the RB.  He was drafted by my Dolphins. As a Phins and ACC fan, I went "why?" The team always had more pressing defensive needs, but whiffed again and again on early reaches at RB.

Welsh had UVA football in the best spot it has been in during my lifetime.  I'm not sure they'll ever be that good again.  
  • PackPACPackPAC Posts: 409
    KH I was also a freshman in 91 and remember the high-tech TRACS system. I was definitely not in the scholars program so I was stuck with the redial button while holed up in Tucker.  Good times!!
  • GsoPackBackerGsoPackBacker Posts: 1,108
    I was unfortunate enough to have had to endure drop/add in Reynolds during those sweltering August days.

Maybe TRACS is actually an acronym for The Reynolds Air Conditioning System.  LOL. 
  • TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 2,851PFN Referee
    Great story, man.  Another fine case of the Pack wreaking havoc on our memories, but still really neat to have them none the less.
  • 1984Met1984Met Posts: 665
    Gso:  Drop/add at Reynolds then a long line across campus for financial aid.  Made for a long day.
  • KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 3,916PFN Referee
    I kind of cherish the shitty Wolven memories, as much as the good.  Dunno why.

Maybe b/c one of my earliest memories is being in C/F when Paedo State kicked that 54 yard FG (that length was very rare in the 70s) at the gun.
    I kind of cherish the shitty Wolven memories, as much as the good.  Dunno why.
    I agree.  The "bad" memories just built resilience.  That's what I tell myself anyway. :smile:

• Vawolf82Vawolf82 Posts: 787PFN Referee
    Maybe b/c one of my earliest memories is being in C/F when Paedo State kicked that 54 yard FG (that length was very rare in the 70s) at the gun.

A friend in the band hooked me up with a date so I got to sit on the 50 yd line for that game.    Other than the ending, the thing I remember most is standing guard over the purses and liquor when the band went on the field at half time.   It seemed like every band member handed their stuff to whoever was closest and not in a band uniform.
  • TexpackTexpack Posts: 2,779
    Vawolf82 said:

A friend in the band hooked me up with a date so I got to sit on the 50 yd line for that game.    Other than the ending, the thing I remember most is standing guard over the purses and liquor when the band went on the field at half time.   It seemed like every band member handed their stuff to whoever was closest and not in a band uniform.
    That game haunts me to this day
    NC State athletics.  It builds character!
  • 1984Met1984Met Posts: 665
    Watching State beat unx at home in '83, then win the ACC and NCAA that year was worth the previous “charactor building“ years between '75 and '82. There have been too many since.
  • RickRick Posts: 2,510PFN Referee
    I was in Atlanta when we lost to ECU. I was actually on TV several times because we were first row end zone and we took our shirts off. 

I was at the ACC tournament when Herb let JJ "PuffnStuff" Redick beat us by himself. 

So many bad memories. 

• SamIamSamIam Posts: 537
    Beat em down to build em up.
    When in the world are we going to be built up?
    1) 1983 hoops
    2) 1986 football season
    3) That Amato-led Gator Bowl massacre of the Irish

/don't think I missed anything, though the MOC Peach Bowl over Cowbells was pretty cool as well
    I was at the Peach Bowl when the Cowbells were silenced.  That was about as good as it's gotten for NC State football in the last 20 years (outside of that Gator Bowl season).  So, I say we count that one.

I have told my children that they can be NC State fans if they want, but understand that with it comes a lot of losing.  If you want to back a winner, maybe look at mom's alma maters.
    Being there for the Gator Bowl with my entire family cemented them as State fans.  If I'd only known!  Hahaha
  • SamIamSamIam Posts: 537
    1) 1983 hoops
    2) 1986 football season
    3) That Amato-led Gator Bowl massacre of the Irish

/don't think I missed anything, though the MOC Peach Bowl over Cowbells was pretty cool as well
    Rah Rah, I was 5 in 83, 7 in 85.  
    I was at the Cowbells Peach win (in a box, drinking gin! - free tickets from a relative), took my Dad to the Irish Gator for Xmas present.

Pretty sure those are the only Bowls I have attended as an adult.
  • The Irish were pissed they were snubbed for a better bowl and thought the Gator was a slap in the face. Fans I met thought they’d roll us. Bumped into an ex there...one row in front...and girl in front was so drunk she kept falling into my lap
  • PackPACPackPAC Posts: 409
    I was unfortunately front row sideline for the EZU Peach Bowl, seats were terrible, knew the game was going to get away when the "prevent" defense came out.  Cemented my hate for the Pierats!