Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

Playing (Laying?) the JV Stillers In The Darkest Timeline

KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 3,916PFN Referee
edited September 28 in Wolfpack Sports
Oh my cats, was last Saturday ever a kick in the bollocks.  But hey, at least football was in full force (what a SEC debut for Mike Leach, K State doing K State things), and I am not aware of VPI giving us the #NuAIDS.  There was a LOT less tongue kissing across the opposing sidelines, so U NOE the kids were taking things all serious.

Once again, Athletic preview:

6. Pitt

The Panthers were poised to put together a potentially historic defense this fall and should still be pretty solid despite the loss of likely first-round NFL Draft pick Jaylen Twyman, who opted out of the season. What can senior quarterback Kenny Pickett bring to the table, and will he have a consistent run game to help lighten his load?

Oh shit, they gon' murder kill us.

Their most recent game (home win against Louisville) was unwatchable dreck, the times I flipped to it (and wow, was it ever blissful to need one's remote on a Fall Saturday again).  And I guess one could hope for Pitt to look past us, with a pretty harsh road trip on deck (at BC, at Miami, at Notre Dame).

Of course, I really don't believe there is any cause for hope.  I'm CRAZY, not STUPID.

OK, not THAT stupid, anyway.  Back to our more familiar noon slot (ACCN), so plan one's day accordingly.

Yes, Imaginary Gambling Again
  1. The line at the time of writing is Pitt -14. What will it be at kickoff?19 votes
    1. 10-13
      21.05%
    2. 13-16
      21.05%
    3. 16.5+
      47.37%
    4. World Ends First
      10.53%

Comments

• TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 2,851PFN Referee
    Thanks for making the game thread!

Logic certainly says this one will be an L.  Second week on the road as well.  Man wouldn't a win here be a nice surprise and great feeling though!
  • KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 3,916PFN Referee
    Writing about the Pack has been....fun?  Even though the results are...less so.
  • choppack1choppack1 Posts: 1,930
    Interesting stat, no qb who has played vs N.C. State in 2020 has been unsuccessful versus our defense.
  • RickRick Posts: 2,510PFN Referee
    choppack1 said:
    Interesting stat, no qb who has played vs N.C. State in 2020 has been unsuccessful versus our defense.

I fully expect that trend to continue. 

BTW I honestly do not know how you guys can watch us play. I find us nauseating to watch

Saturday was definitely ugly. But, as Leach’s loss to LSU on Saturday shows, it takes 9 years to get the proper personnel in place to compete with college football’s elite.
  • Vawolf82Vawolf82 Posts: 787PFN Referee
    Rick said:

BTW I honestly do not know how you guys can watch us play. I find us nauseating to watch

My TV comes with a remote that has a channel selector....and I'm not afraid to use it.   
  • TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 2,851PFN Referee
    At the 17-0 mark last weekend I changed channel to old Roseanne re-runs lol
  • TexpackTexpack Posts: 2,779
    Pitt will at least think they have a consistent run game after Saturday. 
  • ryebreadryebread Posts: 2,311PFN Referee
    edited September 28
    choppack1 said:
    Saturday was definitely ugly. But, as Leach’s loss to LSU on Saturday shows, it takes 9 years to get the proper personnel in place to compete with college football’s elite.
    HAHA.. Well played. We just need to chop more wood. Seeds of greatness are there. Just wait until DD gets HIS players and rids himself of all of those bad players he inherited from his predecessor. This year is a placeholder anyway -- true progress will be seen 3 seasons from now.

Call me crazy, but I think State can get 21-28 points on Pitt.  The question is whether we can hold them to under 40.  At this point, I am thinking no, but dare to dream right?  This is the same Pitt offense that didn't get over 23 against Syracuse or Louisville (neither of which really have any defense).

If we cannot, then the most interesting thing out of this season may be whether the Pack can hold ANY ACC team below 40 this year.  This could go down as the worst NC State defense in my lifetime.
  • choppack1 said:
    Chuckle...cough...We at NCSU keep choppin' that wood in our daytime compartments
    EVERY major conference team (outside the top 3 or 4) should have been lining up at Leach's door.  IF YOU WIN IN PULLMAN, YOU CAN WIN ANYWHERE.
  • 1984Met1984Met Posts: 665
    Maybe State should be knocking on his door.  Well, while I'm in fantasy land. . . .
  • RickRick Posts: 2,510PFN Referee
    EVERY major conference team (outside the top 3 or 4) should have been lining up at Leach's door.  IF YOU WIN IN PULLMAN, YOU CAN WIN ANYWHERE.

Like NCSU will do anything to actually improve. I sometimes wonder if our admin is purposely sucking. It would seem to be the only way to explain the decades of utter futility. I mean why not, our fans keep paying to see it. 

IMO State has about another decade of fans. Once the people that remember us being good die off there is not going to be anyone willing to pay to watch this joke of an athletic department. 
  • SamIamSamIam Posts: 537
    Rick said:

Like NCSU will do anything to actually improve. I sometimes wonder if our admin is purposely sucking. It would seem to be the only way to explain the decades of utter futility. I mean why not, our fans keep paying to see it. 

IMO State has about another decade of fans. Once the people that remember us being good die off there is not going to be anyone willing to pay to watch this joke of an athletic department. 
    I just am hoping you all will read Rick's statement again.  The absolute perfect summation of NC State athletics and the path its on.
  • phcqmfdphcqmfd Posts: 68
    edited September 29
    I will say we may be bring home the second national title this year.  It will be in women's cross country, but better than a kick in the ball.  We had the Number 1 recruit in the nation and two more in the top ten.  Just swept the top five, plus 7 and 10th place at Virginia invitational.

Looking forward to wrestling season as well.  And there looks to be hope for womens bball tp win it all.

Got to stay positive, we are really good in sports, so it means that we dont sux on purpose, it is just we suck at the two most folks care about

• Rick said:
    choppack1 said:

I fully expect that trend to continue. 

That is exactly how I feel. I get too emotionally involved when I watch NC State play that it makes me sick with the inevitable letdowns. Years worth of them. I just can’t watch us anymore. Have watched only sparingly for a long time. I know I should be a more active supporter, but I can’t. And now I could afford to be a better support, but for what? To be overly dramatic, it’ll suck the life out of you.
    I do sneak a peak. Usually check in here after a game. But it can be better not knowing because I’ll just get pissed and it’ll ruin a weekend.
    For example I didn’t even check the Wake game until after the VT game. Have a B in L I rarely see - fortunately - who’s a Wake grad. After UNC and ECU, it’s Wake I hate. It’s almost if you don’t know who won, we didn’t lose.
    Whiny I realize, but it sucks to suck and be irrelevant.
  • Rick said:

Sadly... the most accurate of all takes yet... 😔
  • I will probably watch our first offensive series before descending back into madness. Anyone notice we finally have that Big12 defense we always wanted? Christmas came early this year fellas! 😀
    My kid (who ran high school XC) found me an "NC State Track and Field" light jacket, which I really love.
  • I finally actually have a kid at State (grad school and living in Raleigh) and a future DinL who’s a State grad. I’d love to go all in like I used to be before kids headed to a different school, but it’s too painful.
    Then those f#*!$ from Chapel Hole hire an old washed up coach commentator who was run out of his last job, and now suddenly they’re contenders and in the national conversation. We’re lucky to be an asterisk as in “also has a football program.”
    But I’ll check in here after the game to see how bad it was!
    edited September 30
    whitefang said:

Then those f#*!$ from Chapel Hole hire an old washed up coach commentator who was run out of his last job, and now suddenly they’re contenders and in the national conversation. We’re lucky to be an asterisk as in “also has a football program.”

Translation: UNC cranked their cheating machine back up and we were still trying to kick the football with Charlie Brown.

This was as inevitable as when UNC hired Ole Roy and we were messing around with HWSNBN.  Our fans were as blissfully ignorant of what Roy's move to UNC REALLY meant and were thrilled that we'd "finished 2nd in the ACC one year."

The parallel with the "back to back 9 wins" comments and people who said that were just staggering. It's like they didn't learn the first time.
    Rye - I don’t think our fans were happy with Sendek. Obviously, the administration and a couple of key boosters were...and therein lies the rub, our administration and fans are not on the same page. State fans buy season tickets for football in droves, but our administration spends money trying to win the Sears Cup. I get it - it’s a heck of a lot easier to win relatively fast in sports where you aren’t fighting the same uphill battle we are fighting in hoops and football.

However, none of our recent non-revenue sports success has eased the pain of the sports we really care about.

State isn’t going to be a Clemson, Tennessee or whomever any time soon. But there’s no reason why we cannot be the next Kansas State, Virginia Tech or Colorado. Here’s a hint - it isn’t as much about spending money as it is about finding the right guy to lead your program.

The “hope” was that DD would be that right guy. This hope looked well-founded in 2018 when our overall conference record of 11-5 was the best run in 2 and a half decades. Unfortunately, in true DD fashion, he collapsed in 2019 and now 2020 looks kinda the same.

If I am Boo, Woodson or a billionaire donor, I am looking for signs of life this year that we have the right guy. If we have another crappy season, I have all the information I need to make a decision.
    edited September 30
    chop: I think you are right with much of this.

I have seen enough to tell me a few things:
    - I had seen enough on the field to let DD walk when Tennessee was calling, though I'm not convinced they ever offered him.
    - The best assistants under DD have all left. If Thunder weren't an alum, he'd be gone too.
    - In 1-2 of these instances (Drink and possibly Des), the assistant should have been retained over the head man.
    - Nothing that will happen in 2019 or 2020 short of a miraculous run to an ACC title will change that opinion (and that's not happening).

The big issue is the contract situation.  I think we have DD and his crew this year AND next year.  The assistants' contracts seem to all line up that way.
    There was a rumour going around (including from my best source) that Des was gonna get promoted if Doeren had lost that U*NC finale a couple years ago.  Wouldn't surprise me if there was lingering friction based on that.
    There was a rumour going around (including from my best source) that Des was gonna get promoted if Doeren had lost that U*NC finale a couple years ago.  Wouldn't surprise me if there was lingering friction based on that.
    That would make sense. We know how much Yow valued recruiting and Des was our most valuable recruiter. Like others, I think the wrong guy may have lost out. This is also where you have to point out what a horrendous situation DD placed Des and MacDonald in. In typical DD fashion, rather than own up to his mistake, he threw the people he put in this no-win situation right under the bus. If they had the Wolfpack Caravans, he probably would have blamed those guys and qbs for the bad season. Just don’t look at DD, he’s blameless.