Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

Playing Forcibly Non-Gendered Turkeys In the #NuAIDS Era!

KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 3,916PFN Referee
Look, as nervy as it was...I won't shit on a conference victory of any sort.  No, I am not confident in Hockman at QB.  But he wasn't as awful as I expected.  Despite the scoreline, it even looked like we might have a few impact players on defense.  Wouldn't that be a nice change from 2019?  And you bet your hairy white ass (hey, I make assumptions) that I will keep with the title format as long as the wins follow.

Does everyone like the "MOAR WOKE" depiction of our turkey rivals?  :smiley:

Nobody has any idea what to expect out of VPI, who had a virus-y cancellation Week One.  So, it's good we have a game under our belts...but our foes also have game tape to study.  It cuts both ways, just like that awful Gloria Estefan song that is now stuck in my head I HATE YOU, 2020!!

Again, here is the now-somewhat-outdated team preview from The Athletic:

7. Virginia Tech

It was another tumultuous offseason in Blacksburg, starting with Justin Fuente’s dalliance with Baylor and ending with elite cornerback Caleb Farley’s decision to opt out. Even without Farley, there’s returning experience on the defensive side of the ball, but the offense needs to figure out the rushing attack before the Hokies scare anyone at the top of the league.

You may also notice that we are now 2-for-2 in 8p home September kickoffs.  With no fan experience available.  It's certainly not 2020's biggest kick in the bollocks...but it still annoys.

Like last week, I am gonna go into this with no expectations, and just glad that I get to see our Wolven Sort on the teevee box.  Let's enjoy a nice Fall evening together, eh?
Further PFN Feedback!
  1. Do y'all want to imaginarily wager on over or under (59.5)?17 votes
    1. Over! Tackling un-fundamentals will see to that.
      52.94%
    2. Under! VPI is always a grind.
      35.29%
    3. Push! I don't believe in the laws of space and time no more.
      11.76%

Comments

• Wile it is 2020 and I do believe the time space continuum has been altered, I am banking on Pack to be inconsistent.  Score a lot and win last week, score much less in a very tight game this week.

I saw we were 10 point dogs.  I'd take that.
  • TexpackTexpack Posts: 2,779
    A win this week would lock up the neighborhood ACC Championship. (Wake alum behind us, castrated turkey alum two houses down) It’s our best shot at a banner in football for the next 5 years or so. 
    Prediction 
    Pack 21
    VT  35
  • choppack1choppack1 Posts: 1,930
    Hopefully, we play the game.
  • YogiNCYogiNC Posts: 476
    Hope we catch Saturday night fever and ruuuuuuuuuuuuuumble!
    I'll go the other way.
    Pack 28 (or 24 on a stuff at the 4 and have to take a FG) 
    VT 17
  • ryebreadryebread Posts: 2,311PFN Referee
    I'm a sucker.  I'll take the over.  The Pack's defense sucks, and I see a whole lot of ? marks out of VT both offensively and defensively.

I had sort of thought that as long as Foster and his assistants were there, there'd be some minimal bar for the defense.  It wouldn't be as good as before because the ball control offense and focus on special teams wouldn't be the same, but they'd still be good.  Now I'm not so sure.  

The Pack may well walk out of Blacksburg as a winner.  Night games with that home crowd are normally tough because that place is rocking from "Sandman" on, but that doesn't really apply due to COVID19.  

Every year removed from Beamer, that Fuente hire looks worse to me.  Unless they surprise this year, Fuente's best year at VT will by far be his first (when he had the most left over from Beamer).  I think Fuente's flirtation with Baylor was a bit of an acknowledgement by him as well.

• KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 3,916PFN Referee
    Also, who knows how #NuAIDS their roster still might be?  Usually, they are more "quality across the board" than star-based, so maybe that matters less.

Line seems too high to me, which usually means we are gonna get pounded, without lube.
  • Vawolf82Vawolf82 Posts: 787PFN Referee
    Without knowing VT's depth chart (or their players in general), its difficult to say how badly State will get beat.    If State has a strength, then based solely on the WF game it would have to be the offense....which will face what's usually VT's strength.     So at the very least, we should get some data on how State's OL matches up to what you would normally expect to be one of the better defenses in the ACC.

I'll also be looking to see what changes State's offense makes if the original game plan gets stuffed.   <snide comments removed>

• Who is the new qb coach or is it by committee?  Hock was much better except for the pick and there appeared to be a wide open receiver just left of center about 5 yards beyond the los.  Perhaps he just wanted to hassle mr. metrics.  I hate VT for they have ruined many a game for my Pack.  
    edited September 23
    Beck's the QB coach and the OC.  Roper has been relegated to RBs.  He's terrible and should have never been hired.  

It is too bad we couldn't have kept Des as the RBs coach and head of recruiting.   Des took (on paper) a significant salary cut (almost $200k from what I can tell), so he clearly was fired by HFC DD.  S. Carolina made a great hire. 
  • 44rules44rules Posts: 460
    Fired? Or did he leave cuz he was no longer OC. Would he have stayed with a demotion and, say, a 100k pay cut?
  • I didn't see him staying after being demoted.  Biding his time at best
    edited September 24
    No one is taking a 40% pay cut to go to a new company over a title removed at their old company.  And if his job was in good standing, then the pay by S.Carolina would be higher.
  • The promotions were a dumb move by the head man. He should have offered up his own salary to retain Dez if money was an issue 
  • Des’s first day at USC lite was marked by Tiyon Evans commitment to Tennessee.  The sc board exploded because the university helped Evans get into junior college and he seemed like a future lock.  Perhaps Des wore him down as he recently decommitted from UT.  It’s unfortunate we lost such a strong recruiter.  
    The promotions were a dumb move by the head man. He should have offered up his own salary to retain Dez if money was an issue 
    Agreed. It was the HR version of the end of the Clemson game. The only thing is that I don’t know if we could have kept him after he fell flat on face in OC job...just like he did @ Vandy.
    Des’s first day at USC lite was marked by Tiyon Evans commitment to Tennessee.  The sc board exploded because the university helped Evans get into junior college and he seemed like a future lock.  Perhaps Des wore him down as he recently decommitted from UT.  It’s unfortunate we lost such a strong recruiter.  
    That's the loss.  Every year we had Des, the position area he owned (RBs) were strong and deep. His years as recruiting coordinator delivered us the best talent DD has signed.

When we shifted him to OC and took him off recruiting, recruiting immediately dropped off.  It seems to me like we could have shifted him back to RBs coach and recruiting coordinator, made him the highest paid recruiter in the ACC, and found some win/win.

A man who is as good a recruiter as Des isn't going to let his ego get in the way of doing the job and cashing the check.  It'd have been a better move than him leaving and us keeping Roper at RBs.

I also don't think for a second that this move was Des's.  There's no way he's taking a 40% pay reduction to start over again at a different program unless he was run off from here.
    ryebread said:
    Des’s first day at USC lite was marked by Tiyon Evans commitment to Tennessee.  The sc board exploded because the university helped Evans get into junior college and he seemed like a future lock.  Perhaps Des wore him down as he recently decommitted from UT.  It’s unfortunate we lost such a strong recruiter.  
    That's the loss.  Every year we had Des, the position area he owned (RBs) were strong and deep. His years as recruiting coordinator delivered us the best talent DD has signed.

When we shifted him to OC and took him off recruiting, recruiting immediately dropped off.  It seems to me like we could have shifted him back to RBs coach and recruiting coordinator, made him the highest paid recruiter in the ACC, and found some win/win.

A man who is as good a recruiter as Des isn't going to let his ego get in the way of doing the job and cashing the check.  It'd have been a better move than him leaving and us keeping Roper at RBs.

I also don't think for a second that this move was Des's.  There's no way he's taking a 40% pay reduction to start over again at a different program unless he was run off from here.
    Yeah. I don’t know. I know what I have heard about one party, just not the other.
    Chop: I'd love to hear more.  PM me if you don't want to post.
    guys...the line is down to 7.  I've even seen 6.5.

HOLD ME.  I'S SCARED
    BJD - I just hope half our team doesn’t get sick.
    True.  Though my family doctor says that one is most contagious like 24-48 hours BEFORE they show symptoms.  So we might be ok if they are on the viral downslope.
    Good info! I am still crossing my fingers after last weeks wedding. Haven’t heard of any issues yet from anyone yet. If one person in the wedding party had it, we will all be sick.
    yeah, a wedding can be like an adult version of that now-infamous NC State frat party!
    All the events were outdoors, but a lot of people at their house for breakfast and in the evenings. I felt like I really pushed my luck Friday night, so I was much lower key, cautious and sober Saturday night.
    As an extreme introvert, I would welcome the chance to get out of wedding attendance!  Except that I am divorced, so I am already opting out of most "social contract" gathering obligations.