Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

What sports events/actual sports did you miss/not miss during the "pandemic"

I found out I didn't miss march madness.  NBA and MLB were off my list long ago.  I did miss seeing the triple crown races at their normal time.  And missed the Stanley Cup.  What they did in place just didn't excite me in the least.  Too packed together and that's a sport where the fans really do make a huge difference (i.e. the rat pummeling of Patrick Roy by the Panthers in 94).  I was really getting antsy about Pack Football and I hated there was no college baseball this year.

Comments

• 1984Met1984Met Posts: 665
    edited September 20
    College basketball and "normal" MLB baseball season.
  • YogiNCYogiNC Posts: 476
    Sorry, Patrick Roy and the Rat Trick was 96.
  • Pack78Pack78 Posts: 452
    Haven't missed the NFL-was fading before due to the 'political statements' and the current 'woke' status has finished me off as a fan...
  • TexpackTexpack Posts: 2,779
    The Masters. Missed going out to MMP a couple times to watch the Astros. 
  • SamIamSamIam Posts: 537
    Hockey, wolfpack baseball, fan filled Carter Finley.  This shit show of a year has given me one thing, Fox Sports.  Far less political jargon, far less telling me that black lives didn't matter six months ago.  
  • Vawolf82Vawolf82 Posts: 787PFN Referee
    edited September 21
    Didn't miss NBA or MLB.   

March Madness is iffy...as if State was in, I would have watched their games.
  • I missed seeing what wrestling, women's hoops, and swimming could do in their respective championships. Lots of possibilities.

On a pro level, I have enjoyed golf more with no fans.  I hate the "You da man" shouts
  • 1984Met1984Met Posts: 665
    Or, “In the hole“ shouts.
  • I agree with GSO, I was really looking forward to see what the Women were going to be able to do in the tourney and see if the Wrestling team could break the top three.

As for anything else, the masters and that is about it.
  • College Baseball
  • RickRick Posts: 2,510PFN Referee
    Women bball team is what I really missed. They had a really good team and had been doing well even without Ace really hitting her shots. If she had gotten really hot who knows what would have happened. 
  • choppack1choppack1 Posts: 1,930
    I can’t say I am missing anything on TV. I miss the crowds. I definitely miss the events - 5ks, 10ks and sprint triathlons that have been cancelled because of the pandemic. I miss the morning crew at the Y. I miss being inside at church. The ungrateful participants of so many of these sports have made it difficult for me to enjoy football, basketball or anything else where politics are front and center.

• 4in124in12 Posts: 193
    CWS
  • PIRPIR Posts: 113
    Good question. Hard to answer. I was disappointed when stuff was canceled - wanted to see if Pack men would make it to the tourney. Wanted to see the Pack women make a deep run. Wanted to watch baseball. If something is on, I'll watch it or at least have it on in the background. But when everything was off, I didn't feel any holes in my life. Now that stuff is on again, I watched Canes hockey, I watch Orioles almost every day, I watch Pack football, I watch Redski...Washington Football Team. But I think I've realized that I actually can take it or leave it. 
  • ryebreadryebread Posts: 2,311PFN Referee
    I honestly didn't miss anything other than the baseball games I would have attended in person.
  • Nothing, I appreciate college and nfl football but I would gladly skip that to and squeeze profit margins and salaries to more realistic levels.  That goes for Hollywood as well.  I enjoyed my woodworking projects and bourbon hunts more.
  • You had me with bourbon hunts, Fastback.  What intrigues you the most?.  My son in law is in Louisville and loves to hunt bourbon in the wild
  • Hogw1ldHogw1ld Posts: 253
    Blantons, ftw!!
  • Have definitely enjoyed Blanton's and that is for sure a hard find wherever I go.  How much do you pay for it on average?
  • Hogw1ldHogw1ld Posts: 253
    40 to 50. Good booze. Can find it pretty regular here. I like makers 46 (a little cheaper) and Woodford double oaked also. A few of us get on the waiting list and split a bottle of pappy's when we can get it too.
  • Pack78Pack78 Posts: 452
    I prefer the single-malt, but have enjoyed Blanton's (like the horsey corks!) with a former colleague and still have a bit of the double oaked as a gift from my son procured while flying clients to last year's Derby...
    I finished my Buffalo Trace the day of Kentucky Derby. I didn’t think I had enough so I went to the ABC store and bought some Michters and they had some Highland Park 12. I ddon’t drink liquor much and when I do, it’s usually just a small drink. I just drink the bourbon with ice and the scotch dry.
  • ryebreadryebread Posts: 2,311PFN Referee
    Liquor and I do not get along.  More power to you fellow Packers....
  • 4in124in12 Posts: 193
    edited September 26
    It's not bourbon, but if you get the chance to try Sagamore Rye - take it. If they lowered the proportion of rye in the mash by just a percent or two, it would be bourbon.
    Rye - I don’t drink enough for it to cause me issues. Those days of bourbon and cokes/gingers etc or vodka/gin and whatever are pretty much done.