Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

Playing Wake Forest in the #NuAIDS Era! (Game Thread, 19 September 2020)

KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 3,806PFN Referee
Yes, it's just about that time, y'all.  As we have noted elsewhere on the site, NC State fookin' finally gets a September night game at C-F...and it's offlimits to fans.  

Meet 2020, the Year That Holds Our Collective Beer.

Before doing any actual research, I have a series of random thoughts on this matchup:

1) Wake Forest plays a game before we do, allowing them to sharpen up.  That's Bad!

2) But said opening game is a nigh-certain rogering at the hands of Son de Clem.  That's Good!

3) But what if they make a valiant showing?  They'd come into West Raleigh feeling Billy Big Bollocks.  That's Bad!

4) Look, with the space/time continuum being as borken as it is, can one really use logic to this JV NFL season?  Or anything else for that matter?  Just enjoy the ride!  That's Good!

I am also generally of the opinion that "timing based" offenses will take some time to gel.  But Wake could easily just run it down our damned throats, given that we insist on playing that stupid 3-3-5, despite most of our "talent" being on the line.

We are predicted to finish 12th by The Athletic (worth paying for, if you like football and futbol as much as I do).  What about Wake?  A manageable 10th:

10. Wake Forest

The Deacs have finished higher than their preseason ACC ranking in each of the past five seasons, so underestimate Dave Clawson and Co. at your own peril. Sam Hartman is a quality starting quarterback, but he will have his work cut out for him as the offense looks to replace two-time captain Cade Carney at running back and first-team All-ACC receiver Sage Surratt.

Jamie Newman thankfully left for UGA, then left JV NFL entirely (to prep for the draft).  That is very helpful.

Way I see it, this fixture will be decided by OL play.  If theirs is better/more settled than ours, Deacs win.  Otherwise, we have a puncher's chance to start this cray-cray season 1-0.  And likely go into a tailspin immediately thereafter.

We just ain't very talented, or well-coached.  It is what it is.  But like George Will says, being a pessimist means always being proven right, or pleasantly surprised.

Let's hope for "pleasant surprise" - even if 2020 doesn't really seem so inclined.

What Say Yewwwwww?
  1. Will the Wolven Sort Start 1-0?15 votes
    1. Yes, Deacs go down
      80.00%
    2. No, Deacs provide the usual horror show
      20.00%

Comments

• TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 2,765PFN Referee
    edited September 12
    Thank you for this write up!  Good grief I had to google who our QB was... I'm not sure if that's me getting older and forgetting things or if it speaks to the forgettable talent level we have at the position.  Likely a little of both.

Like you alluded to WF getting a game in before us I think will be a huge advantage for them.
  • I agree that our OL is critical to our early season success.  With some decent play calling, hopefully we can successfully run the ball and maintain ball control while our passing game figures out what to do.
    Trying to be optimistic, but having a hard time.
  • TexpackTexpack Posts: 2,628
    2-8 or 3-7
  • phcqmfdphcqmfd Posts: 64
    edited September 13
    if our DA head coach had started Leary last year we would have won two more games.  Not letting him get into grove with the easy wins was stupid.  Decisions like that will cost us at least 3 more wins this year.  Maybe roper can manage the clock and our new DC will understand that dink and dunk for a 8 minute drive and a touchdown is worse than 3 plays and a score
  • RickRick Posts: 2,484PFN Referee
    I doubt I will watch any games this year. We gonna suck.
    Covid still be there excuse out athletic departmentb trots out this year. 
    Later rinse repeat
  • KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 3,806PFN Referee
    To be fair, they are NOT postponing our 26 Sept. game with #NuAIDS-ravaged VPI.  Just next week's.  So...maybe we will get our cancelled season after all!
    phcqmfd said:
    if our DA head coach had started Leary last year we would have won two more games.  Not letting him get into grove with the easy wins was stupid.  Decisions like that will cost us at least 3 more wins this year.  Maybe roper can manage the clock and our new DC will understand that dink and dunk for a 8 minute drive and a touchdown is worse than 3 plays and a score
    This really was the worst decision of the 2019 season. When you have a toss up you go with future potential. 
  • But, but the metrics.  You have to have experience to play qb for DD.  “How can I get experience coach?”  Well, I’m not giving it to you.  It’s been a long drawn out issue just like the secondary.
    But, but the metrics.  You have to have experience to play qb for DD.  “How can I get experience coach?”  Well, I’m not giving it to you.  It’s been a long drawn out issue just like the secondary.
    Yardage is imperial, not metric. 
  • ryebreadryebread Posts: 2,233PFN Referee
    Thanks goodness that Roper is nowhere near QBs (or the OC) this year.  I think the offense might surprise.  There's really nowhere to go but up on that side of the ball.

I'm more worried about 3 things:
    - Stupid 3-3-5 defense.  
    - DD's in game coaching (a minus coach) vs Clawson (a plus coach).  
    - State under DD almost always comes out flat the first game of the year.

• I'm hoping that all the new coaching blood will be able to infuse some more enthusiasm and drive into the kids for this new season.  I have absolutely NO inside information regarding the next statement, it's just my impression:  shortly into the season last year, it looked like the kids were sort of dazed and confused.  It wasn't so much that they weren't making the effort, but it looked like they didn't know exactly what to do.  Maybe that was due to the coordination-by-committee?  I don't know.  Anyway, at least that problem is gone and their will be one guy on each side of the ball calling the shots.  Admittedly, neither of those coordinators are necessarily considered "top notch" (and I realize one of them isn't "new") but after last year, I'll take competent and consider that an upgrade.
    I'm hoping that all the new coaching blood will be able to infuse some more enthusiasm and drive into the kids for this new season.

I agree some of the coaching churn may be good.. I have some optimism and hope that Ruffin McNeill potentially could have injected some new life into the program.

That said I think QB play will ultimately dictate where the chips fall.  Just going off of what I saw last year that doesn't bode well.

• My optimism for State football is pretty low. I just don’t see how things are going to be much different than last year. I hope I’m wrong, but I think we know what we have in Dave. 
  • SamIamSamIam Posts: 507
    Stomach churning Unc has done more in one and a half years with talent and recruiting than we've done in 30.  I'm sorry but I just don't see any qb on our roster belonging in D1 periord and we had yet another year to address that.  Wake is probably as bad as they've been in a while and that "bad" is still likely better than where we are.  If we lose to this shitty wake forest team I say fire Dave before he can make it to the wolf statues in the tunnel.
    SamIam: A lot of Pack fans were laughing when UNC went with Mack v2.  I was not.  Mack could recruit and it signaled that UNC was ready to crank up the cheating machine again.  My thoughts were "look out."  

Mack v2 vs. DD is a whole lot like Roy and HWSNBN.  Roy blew by HWSNBN predictably quickly and never looked back.  Only by watching that happen did the "seeds of greatness" NC State fans begin to realize the desert wanderer's limitations.  I suspect many of the same people are starting to wake up to DD based on the last 18 months.  We'll see where they are at the end of the year.

skitch: Agreed on last year.  It was obvious in game 1 that State was broken and had no QB.  Many wanted to believe a double digit win over a depleted ECU team in transition signaled that the Pack would be fine, but the gaps were obvious quite early (e.g. the starting QB couldn't complete a forward pass).  The season was lost before the coaches woke up, and by then it was way too late.  And it wasn't just the QB.  As you stated, it was in many positions.

As for the coordinators this year, I'm less sold on "Gibby" than some Pack fans. I hope I am wrong.  Beck is a wild card.  He's worked at blue chip schools and developed blue chip talent. The fans at those schools didn't love his play calling, but what fans do in the age of Playstation football?  To me the question is how he does when he doesn't have blue chip talent.  That takes a bit more creativity.

• PIRPIR Posts: 110
    I’m cautiously pessimistic
  • RickRick Posts: 2,484PFN Referee
    I remember people thinking we had 3 quality QBs.
    I wish we had one
  • phcqmfdphcqmfd Posts: 64
    If leary started all the games last year we would have had 3 or 4 more wins.  I think qb play will be much much better.  If our defense is any better, with this schedule anything less than 8 wins is fire doren.  SMACK Brown does not have a QB either.  They are a 5 win team at best.  Just watch them implode once they have to play a real team 
    Rick: Agreed.  If you have 3 QBs, you have none.  When our #1 couldn't complete a forward pass, I knew we were in really big trouble.

phcqmfd: As much as I hate them, UNC is much better than a 5 win team and they have probably the second best QB in the ACC behind Lawrence.  NC State wanted Howell badly, but Mack got him to UNC.  Howell went on as a true freshman to All American All Freshman team.  I hate them, but they've blown by NC State.
  • The holes have issues, but Howell isn't one of them. 

Also, glad to see that the college rankings have taken out the teams that have yet to commit to playing a season. 

On the plus side, that has 6 ACC teams plus ND in the top 25 this week (3 others receiving votes).  On the down side, NC State isn't one of them.
  • SamIamSamIam Posts: 507
    phcqmfd said:
    If leary started all the games last year we would have had 3 or 4 more wins.  I think qb play will be much much better.  If our defense is any better, with this schedule anything less than 8 wins is fire doren.  SMACK Brown does not have a QB either.  They are a 5 win team at best.  Just watch them implode once they have to play a real team 
    Uhhhhh...I wish I could agree with ya on that one.  Sam Howell is as legit as anyone (well almost..see girl boy in orange) in the ACC.  
  • choppack1choppack1 Posts: 1,845
    Regarding Howell - I don’t think we have enough information yet. He’s physically pretty impressive but not that tall. He has a ton of weapons around him. Last year, he was put in an excellent position to succeed by his OC and frankly, he got very lucky early.

I have seen a lot of great qbs. Trevor Lawrence was incredible his freshman year, he’s continued to grow. Rivers and Wilson were both amazing. His final year, Jameis Winston was very impressive. Dak Prescott was very impressive when we played him in the bowl game. 

It’s worth noting that his first year, I wasn’t sold on Winston either - only because his receivers always seemed to be wide open. Howell was very good last year especially for a freshman, but he got a lot of breaks and his decision-making didn’t stand out. Ultimately, that’s the main factor that will determine if he’s a special qb or not. He definitely has the other tools though.
  • A trivial point:  Need to update the banner for the game to reflect that WF is now 0 -1.
    Anybody heard from greywolf?