Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

Comments

• I had a close friend who died of ALS.  It is a crappy disease, and watching him wither away over close to 25 years was especially hard.  My condolences to his family.
  • choppack1choppack1 Posts: 1,845
    Awful, awful disease.
  • SamIamSamIam Posts: 507
    dang. 
  • AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 2,793
    I have been avoiding news and financial stuff as I have two tough "create this" assignments for the church.  I just saw the WRAL headline and having a deep emotional moment.  

I have traveled with the WPC from time to time and Chris was easy to spot and always one of my GO TO GUYS.  He had time for anyone and was as personable and genuine as anyone I ever met.  Likewise you would see him at Coaches' Caravans and at various WP Sports events.  Always a gentleman (for a tall dude) and cordial... 

I was acquainted with his Uncle, Freddie, circa in 1967 when he picked off a pass and we beat Houston IN HOUSTON.  We sat next to each other in Prof Cope's "Industrial Safety" class.  I remember after he made the runback that then entire Tuesday mid morning AM class stood up and cheered when he walked in.  Needless to say, Prof Cope was a bit "puzzled".  

We talked and such, but never hung out.  I reached out to Fred (now) via Chris and told Chris that his dad's work on the WP Radio Network was great and that it FINALLY hit me....he ain't your pappy.  He popped back with a bit of wit....to the effect that his uncle ranked up there as a hero which his dad is.  Fred and Francis both emailed and we left it there.

All I can say....is that like Valvano, Chris' death and his struggle has to have heightened the awareness of ALS.

We lost a great guy, a great father, a great athlete, and a treasured member of the WPF.

He and his soul and his family need our support and prayers...
  • GsoPackBackerGsoPackBacker Posts: 1,073
    Damn.  Pretty impressive to see that he was able to raise such a considerable amount of money to help others with the disease.
  • 1984Met1984Met Posts: 628
    Sad to hear.