Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

NC State vs VTech opener pushed back to Sept 26

TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 2,765PFN Referee
edited August 26 in Wolfpack Sports
Beginning of the end of the season?

Comments

• 1984Met1984Met Posts: 628
    Hope this makes sense. As real as the virus is and as paranoid as people can be, I do not expect college football this fall. But I have been wrong before.
  • RickRick Posts: 2,484PFN Referee
    $$$ talks
    Let's see how loudly. 
  • ryebreadryebread Posts: 2,233PFN Referee
    It is ultimately the money.  The question at hand is seemingly whether the schools/conferences need the money from 1 football season enough to swallow the reality that athletes are a separate class from the general student that may need additional pay, worker's compensation, etc.?

I tend to think that the NCAA and universities aren't willing to kill the goose to get one golden egg so I don't think we're playing this year.  I could be wrong though.
  • TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 2,765PFN Referee
    So I just realized the WF game is still going on as scheduled.. so WF will be the season opener (in case there are other slow folks like myself on this board lol)
  • 89BABS89BABS Posts: 59
    So I just realized the WF game is still going on as scheduled.. so WF will be the season opener (in case there are other slow folks like myself on this board lol)
    So, does this mean we get the main page game-day banner back now?  

We could also do some sort of Covid-19 banner too.  Like a Covid-19 vs Sportsball tracker.  Games cancelled by sport, etc.  Update it as things go along.
    89BABS said:
    So, does this mean we get the main page game-day banner back now?  

We could also do some sort of Covid-19 banner too.  Like a Covid-19 vs Sportsball tracker.  Games cancelled by sport, etc.  Update it as things go along.
    lol yeah I been pondering the old banner.. honestly I just didn't think we were having a season.. but they seem hell bent on playing.  I still just don't see how it's going to work.. one person on either team gets covid games will seemingly be cancelled?
    alright i got a banner up.. if season gets canceled you guys can put it on me for jinxing!
  • GsoPackBackerGsoPackBacker Posts: 1,073
    alright i got a banner up.. if season gets canceled you guys can put it on me for jinxing!
    It's 2020!  You can't jinx anything already doomed. 

lol yeah I been pondering the old banner.. honestly I just didn't think we were having a season.. but they seem hell bent on playing.  I still just don't see how it's going to work.. one person on either team gets covid games will seemingly be cancelled?
    If I were a lawyer who focused on sports injuries, workers comp, player unions, etc., I would be salivating at the mouth over those hell bent on moving forward with a season.....
  • AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 2,793
    ryebread said:

If I were a lawyer who focused on sports injuries, workers comp, player unions, etc., I would be salivating at the mouth over those hell bent on moving forward with a season.....
    What,
    I never saw that statement coming.....:) :(
    If they play, they're going to kill the goose to get the egg.  But honestly, I don't really care if that happens.
  • choppack1choppack1 Posts: 1,845
    ryebread said:
    If they play, they're going to kill the goose to get the egg.  But honestly, I don't really care if that happens.
    Rye - I don’t know. They are in a pickle. They have built the entire athletic department on 2 programs. Everything else hemorrhages money. I don’t know if the schools can afford to not play.
    chop:  They can just cancel all sports across the board, but keep the kids on scholarship.  You know, real students and all, like the NCAA claims.  The schools can absolutely afford to do that.

The "problem" is the coaching salaries.  Most "real" workers I know are getting pinched now, so why not these coaches too?  I don't think any should make more than what a professor would make, particularly given they're bringing in no revenue this year.  If a coach can't take a professor's salary, then they have a lot of problems.
  • RickRick Posts: 2,484PFN Referee
    i know pro sports employees are taking a hit. I know someone who works for an MLB team and he had to take a 25% cut. 
  • choppack1choppack1 Posts: 1,845
    Rye - if they play football the problem isn’t the football coaches salaries. The coaches are actually getting compensated something close to market value, and a good coach is worth every penny. The problem is more administrative costs. Remember, football and men’s basketball fund the entire ecosystem of sports. 

It’s their option to take a pay cut. However, if for example, Nick Sagan were to be told by Alabama, “we’re not paying you”, don’t you think his phone would be ringing? The same thing goes for a lot of assistants.
    Bama would pass the hat among donors and cover Saban's salary in a minute.  If they can do it for a buy out, then they can do it to pay the salary.

My guess is the problem here IS these buyouts (which as I have railed on for years are horrible for the schools).  Don't want to pay me my committed salary?  Fine, buy me out.  That's the rock/hard place.

I seriously doubt admin salaries are but a blip in the conversation.  The ADs, assistant ADs, etc. can all be cut/reduced.  These departments have grown fat.