Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

A Topic To Unite Us: The NCAA

PIRPIR Posts: 110
In these times of great division, I thought we could use a topic (other than our love for NC State sports) that most can agree on: we don’t really like the NCAA. And for some that’s a way-too-mild way of putting it. But I’m trying to cast a wide net to be inclusive for the purpose of uniting rather than dividing.
Anyway, I thought this article was interesting and would provoke some good discussion:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/power-five-ncaa-are-now-officially-adversaries-and-a-breakaway-may-only-be-a-matter-of-time

Will the Power Five bring about an end - or greatly reduced role - of the NCAA? Should we root for that? Talk amongst yourselves. 

Comments

• RickRick Posts: 2,484PFN Referee
    I despise the NCAA. IMO they are crooked and do not care about academics. And right now there is an aristocracy in sports that is almost unbreakable. 

I have no idea what a break out by the power 5 would do. Would it allow more schools to compete? I can of doubt it. Would it just be a different crooked organization deciding things?

My desire to watch sports has really waned. The politics being injected into it makes that even more pronounced. Sports is an escape. I do not want to be preached at by millionaires who think they know more than me even though I am much more highly educated than they are. Most of them struggled in school as they were more concerned about playing a game. So forgive me if I want them to shut up and play. Or, I can just turn them off which seems to be what a lot of people are doing. 
  • Pack78Pack78 Posts: 437
    Really hope that this discord results in a split of schools that want to pursue the semipro/major league farm system model and schools (hopefully us) that want to be part of a reasonable version of a true amateur model. Probably a pipe dream...
  • Vawolf82Vawolf82 Posts: 752PFN Referee
    PIR said:

Will the Power Five bring about an end - or greatly reduced role - of the NCAA? Should we root for that? 

I don't see how either option helps State.    We aren't truly competitive in the revenue sports and I don't see how a different governing body would affect anything.

Diving into the details of the NCAA contract with CBS for the basketball tournament would be interesting.    Are the P5 schools contractually obligated?    Or could they form their own tournament?
  • turkeydanceturkeydance Posts: 136
    since legal sports gambling is spreading...i see some "infiltration" before a new
    governing body is established. i don't mean the mob....maybe something like this:
    the "Massachusetts Online Betting" college baseball league.
  • choppack1choppack1 Posts: 1,845
    Like VaWolf, I don’t see a big win for us here. I find it utterly hilarious that the institutions pushing this are the ones that get off lightest for cheating. That should tell us the true motivator here...pure, naked greed.
  • KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 3,806PFN Referee
    Rip off the veneer of respectability.  It's all lies and bullshit.  That's why the NCAA hates Calipari so much.

Nothing substantive would really change.  But I'd still get a chuckle out of it.  The NCAA can eat all the rotten, diseased, zombie ass.
    But who makes the NCAA- college administrators? It’s basically the same group of people trying to do what they can to get their grubby hands on as much $ as possible. I would say the current college administrators are more evil though. At least the NCAA has tried to preserve the idea of amateurism...colleges are the ones oking subpar students, paper classes, absurd coaches salaries, etc. 

Basically two jackals are fighting over the same carcass.
    NCAA just said we give up.

• 1984Met1984Met Posts: 628
    Just saw this (thanks turkeydance for the heads up):

If D-II and D-III cancel championships for the Fall, what about D-I?  (A rhetorical question really.)
  • Vawolf82Vawolf82 Posts: 752PFN Referee
    NCAA just said we give up.

????
    my bad. should have posted: NCAA punted on 3rd down.
    hand the can of Covid worms to the conferences/divisions.
  • GsoPackBackerGsoPackBacker Posts: 1,073
    my bad. should have posted: NCAA punted on 3rd down.
    hand the can of Covid worms to the conferences/divisions.
    #LEADERSHIP
    Would the schools have complied? I keep on waiting for the first major university to say, “ you know, athletics really have zippo to do with academics, we are going to DEFUND our athletic department.”
  • MikePack89MikePack89 Posts: 177
    choppack1 said:
    Would the schools have complied? I keep on waiting for the first major university to say, “ you know, athletics really have zippo to do with academics, we are going to DEFUND our athletic department.”
    My daughter had a lot of scholarships to go to Meredith - she wanted State (truly so did I) because State has football and basketball.  While academics are important and the MAIN reason to attend a school, athletics do attract and bring in students.
    Chop, I think the NCAA punted because they perceived it was a lose/lose proposition for them.  If they postpone the season or cancel and have the universities blame them and/or ask for $$$.  

I see that they did put out their official CYA document entitled "Resocialization of Collegiate Sport: Developing Standards for Practice and Competition".  The first two bullets are:
    • Asymptomatic and pre-symptomatic spread of COVID-19 is common in young adults. (Thanks, Dr. Fauci)
    • COVID-19 remains high risk for certain individuals, including those with a Body Mass Index of 30 or greater.
    Has anyone realized that OVER half of our football team has a BMI of 30+?
    just read that the MAC gives up (punts).
  • ryebreadryebread Posts: 2,233PFN Referee
    edited August 8
    If the MAC isn't getting the cash games from the P5 conferences, it probably makes absolutely no sense to play.  

Along these same lines, I was a little surprised to see Liberty still on our schedule.  I figured we'd be ACC slate only.  My guess is that the stadiums will be half empty (sort of like bowl games).
  • Pack78Pack78 Posts: 437
    Think that the season will be cancelled within the next week or so-just too much difficulty beginning to pile up IMHO...would like to be wrong...
    I can't say it won't happen, but I also haven't put the new schedule on my calendar either.
  • AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 2,793
    ryebread said:
    If the MAC isn't getting the cash games from the P5 conferences, it probably makes absolutely no sense to play.  

Along these same lines, I was a little surprised to see Liberty still on our schedule.  I figured we'd be ACC slate only.  My guess is that the stadiums will be half empty (sort of like bowl games).
    Hey, I missed you,  We’ve had to keep thiings going and make sure that we stayed in track.  Sort of like Michael Jordon missing Scottie Pippen.  Lots of “side and diversionary tactics and shenanigans 

Meanwhile....Liberty had a deal where we could have made a dent in HFBC DD’s buyout.

NOW you know....they had us and we cannot do a thing.  
    ryebread said:

Hey, I missed you,  We’ve had to keep thiings going and make sure that we stayed in track.  Sort of like Michael Jordon missing Scottie Pippen.  Lots of “side and diversionary tactics and shenanigans 

Meanwhile....Liberty had a deal where we could have made a dent in HFBC DD’s buyout.

What genius negotiated that agreement. Are we still getting Yowed
  • 1984Met1984Met Posts: 628
    Rick said:
    ryebread said:

What genius negotiated that agreement. Are we still getting Yowed

Gold star comment!

From the WRAL link:

"The guaranteed payout for the NC State game is $1.1 million under the contract, signed by former Wolfpack athletic director Debbie Yow on June 27, 2017. The guarantee is one of the highest the ACC school has ever agreed to, in part because it is scheduled as a “one off” game."
    Why... Just why
    Ugh, I do not get the love for her
    turn out the lights.
    see you next year.
  • TexpackTexpack Posts: 2,628
    If the season is cancelled, people will be sitting around in November wondering why. We are in the home stretch with this thing. It’s petering out. Play ball