Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

Comments

• RickRick Posts: 2,358PFN Referee
    I thought they were nuts to let him go also. They have not done much since firing him. 
  • Pack78Pack78 Posts: 401
    Looks to be a great hire-keep working the state of NC (among many others)!
  • TexpackTexpack Posts: 2,513
    I don’t think this will hurt. I’ve seen him do more than I ever saw out of Hux. 
  • GsoPackBackerGsoPackBacker Posts: 937
    Rick said:
    I thought they were nuts to let him go also. They have not done much since firing him. 
    Spot on.  All of the ECU folks I know say the same thing.  I like this hire!
  • TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 2,664PFN Referee
    edited July 7
    I love it.  Looks like he has lost a lot of weight too.
  • skitchwolfskitchwolf Posts: 38
    ECU was crazy to let him go.  All he ever did was kick ACC butt and make the fans happy.  Hopefully, he can bring some of his recruiting influence to the table and help us find some good ones!  Welcome aboard Coach McNeill!
  • Vawolf82Vawolf82 Posts: 670PFN Referee
    edited July 7
    I'm not getting excited about hiring a "special assistant to the head coach".   He might be able to talk to recruits when they come to Raleigh, but I would be very surprised if he was allowed to actually recruit players.

It wasn't obvious to me that Gott's "special assistant" ever provided anything meaningful to the program.
  • Pack78Pack78 Posts: 401
    Per McNeill's duties on TOS:

" It will be an advisory position
    Not counted as a staff position
    Not “officially” allowed to recruit"

VaWolf, there's a difference between hiring a local "winner" versus a West coast "cheater".

I don't expect a huge impact, but after watching last year, how could this be a bad thing?
    Note that I never said it was bad thing, just that the news doesn't excite me.   I think that we need improvement, not place-holding.  AS BJD frequently says, "Hope is not a plan".
    I agree with you. 

Out of curiosity, if Dave Doeren had to resign today for personal reasons and Ruffin stepped in to become head coach, would anyone here be disappointed?  Personally, I wouldn't be excited, but I wouldn't disappointed either.

• coyotejoecoyotejoe Posts: 45
    I don't comment very often, but I read daily.  I see this as a strategic move to leverage in-state recruiting with UNx and ECU...all of those that want to go to UNx but would normally fall back on ECU will now have the option to go to the Pack and still find favor.  Historically that was not an option.
  • GasHouseGangstaGasHouseGangsta Posts: 487
    Cannot hurt with recruiting regardless of his stated title, and also cannot hurt on defensive side of the ball. He was a major reason Leach reached the level of success he did at TT. The offense was always good. But McNeil steadily improved that defense to make them competitive. 
  • AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 2,687
    I have mixed feelings.  On the surface, it looks like a friend helping out a friend that might need a new gig to keep his budget from being busted.  These things happen in all areas, so it is not uncommon.  Don't want to be cynical....but there are a LOT of NCSU Profs and assistant profs that are going to sneer and also be vocal (or cause some uproars) about it.

From the other side of the fence, Ruffin was a coach that got a raw deal.  GOD FORBID ONE WOULD BE THROWN UNDER THE BUS.  Ask Sylvia Hatchell about that.

So, he does bring a LOT of experience and knowledge to the table.  His recruiting impact is going to be "rubs off" as I THOUGHT that I read he would NOT be involved in recruiting.  IF he makes a call or stops by or has any contact, then the Vultures from UNX will immediately spot him.....call the NCAA and we will be right back into the David Thompson situation.  

That said, he is not on a "continuing contractural basis", I thought.  So, his perceived impact on the team as a mentor or a "glad you are on staff" impact is SUPPOSED to be NON EXISTENT.

But, if he provides some insight and assistance to HFBC DD, then that $150K will be the best money we ever spent.  

All in all, compared to the nepotism of the GOTT and Jim Sleazebag, this one is totally different.  SO, lets see where it goes.   I wonder if there might be some "mid year" coaching reassignments.  I wonder if Ruffin will be a mentor and advisor to HFBC DD in staffing.....so who knows.  He COULD become a "Coaching Staff" member if it works out....and I don't see that as bad.....only good.....as we are about as inexperienced as we have ever been....and the results certainly show that.
  • TexpackTexpack Posts: 2,513
    Roo - You can look at him as a practice squad member ready to be added to the active roster if needed
    Note that "can't hurt" is not the same thing as "will help" AND I think that our coaching staff needs a lot of help.
  • Hogw1ldHogw1ld Posts: 173
    Vawolf82 said:
    Note that "can't hurt" is not the same thing as "will help" AND I think that our coaching staff needs a lot of help.
    I think this is a "will help" scenario.  Not gonna make the coaching staff a bunch of geniuses, but him just being in the room will help.
  • KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 3,664PFN Referee
    Shit in one hand, hope/wish in the other, see which gets full first!  :D
  • GasHouseGangstaGasHouseGangsta Posts: 487
    I don't know the source of these dollars, but i do find it quite hilarious that the university system is finding funds for this type of thing when we cannot even predict the revenue stream for sports next year. State government is similarly interesting, with no governors budget proposal in the face of major shortfalls
  • HighstickHighstick Posts: 366PFN Referee
    Shit in one hand, hope/wish in the other, see which gets full first!  :D
    Good zinger!!!
  • Fastback68Fastback68 Posts: 785
    Is he a 3-3-5 expert?  I read that the position does not allow active recruiting or coaching.  So is Boo/DD thinking about a future DC role. I read Roof was 800k and Roo quoted 150k for Ruffin.  I really don’t understand the level of excitement from the other site.  He played for ECU from 1976-80 so I’m thinking he’s 62. I also read over the years that Hux was very important in recruiting but when he left it wasn’t going to impact recruiting.  Nothing really ever reconciles.  I hope it’s not too many cooks again.
  • KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 3,664PFN Referee
    Simple Jack just wants a buddy to talk to.
  • RickRick Posts: 2,358PFN Referee
    Simple Jack just wants a buddy to talk to.

Slingblade is lonely. 
  • Fastback68Fastback68 Posts: 785
    Four Leaf Tayback “You need to put those boys in the shit”.  Done and their hands are full.
  • ryebreadryebread Posts: 2,153PFN Referee
    I think that Ruffin's a better coach than State's had in a long time.  Ruff got ECU to 10 wins, including double digit wins at UNC and State.  Over many years Ruff went 30-18 within his conference.  That's better results than we have fielded.  From all accounts he was a good man as well.

I think ECU had delusions of grandeur with respect to Lincoln Riley.  They ran off Ruff because they thought they could promote Riley, without really thinking how it'd land with Riley.  He got a much better gig with Oklahoma and ECU was left with nothing (Scottie Mo!).  Ruff got a bit of a raw deal.

So as a coach and person, that's someone good to have around the program.  The staff collectively got better.

The bigger questions though are fair:
    - What will Ruff be allowed to do?
    - How do we reconcile the added costs?
    - If he can't functionally do anything with players, recruiting, etc. based on the rules, then what value will be be able to add?