Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

NC Athletics Websites Recommendations

Seems like every time I find a website that I like for following NC State athletics it get's ruined by something.  The latest is backingthepack.  They decided political activism for protesters is something they're on board with and seeing as how I just really want to read about NC State athletics on athletic websites rather than what the moderators think about CPI Security and the like, I've run out of choices it seems. Has the entire country lost their collective minds?  Leave your freaking political activism for another venue and just keep it NC State athletics related!  Next they'll be promoting defunding police departments.  I'm seriously on the verge of completely checking out on anything athletics as it seems either the athletes themselves or the organizations they represents seem to want to use their platform to promote a political or social justice cause.  I'm sick of it!

Comments

• choppack1choppack1 Posts: 1,590
    You may want to edit the politics out of your post. TAT is trying to keep this site as apolitical as possible. I know what you are looking for - this is about as politic free as you can get, but there’s not as activity as btp. I think the posters here are a little longer in the tooth and are certainly less abusive if you have a viewpoint that’s not on par with the majority.
  • 1984Met1984Met Posts: 462
    Wolfmanpack and choppack1:

Unfortunately, tis the times.  Glad TAT is keeping the site apolitical as possible.  Otherwise, people's stress levels will get even higher.  I for one like this site because of the lack of politics (for the most part).  I may not have the same political leanings as other posters, but we do like the same school -- NC State.
  • PicklePackPicklePack Posts: 17
    I am just about done with BTP as well. Over the past few years the main author has whined about a number of ridiculous things that rubbed me the wrong way but the CPI article reads like you are a racist if you have a security system and support police officers. Really a shame because the site is great when its focus is State athletics, it’s very active with news updates and usually pretty funny.  It seems politics are creeping into every aspect of life and ruining things that people go to to avoid politics...
  • RickRick Posts: 2,269PFN Referee
    I have never been to that site and am glad. What a cesspit. 
    1984 MET - the meltdown going on there and the personal attacks are exactly why TAT made this site as apolitical as possible. I try to respect  that and I appreciate why he does that. I do believe the line can be walked, but it’s so difficult and the consequences can be pretty bad. In this day and age, many people cannot disagree on an issue without getting emotional and adopt a scorched earth policy.
  • TexpackTexpack Posts: 2,473
    I enjoy the escape from politics here. We have a lot of very intelligent and respectful posters here, but political discussions have become so toxic that it’s just nice to have a place where people don’t go there. 
  • RickRick Posts: 2,269PFN Referee
    edited June 9
    choppack1 said:
    1984 MET - the meltdown going on there and the personal attacks are exactly why TAT made this site as apolitical as possible. I try to respect  that and I appreciate why he does that. I do believe the line can be walked, but it’s so difficult and the consequences can be pretty bad. In this day and age, many people cannot disagree on an issue without getting emotional and adopt a scorched earth policy.

I disagree that it can be engaged in politely. I encouraged TAT to allow the political thread. He told me it would not go well and he was right. For example, I stated my opinion and was called ignorant. No debate, no discussion on what I said. Just a statement that I was ignorant. Unfortunately TAT was right about how the thread would go. That is the way politics is in the country right now. It used to be you could disagree with someone and still like and respect them. Today if you disagree with someone they hate you. Maybe it is the nature of anonymous interactions. Strange times we live in. 

So I agree with Tex. Keep the politics out of it. 
  • Vawolf82Vawolf82 Posts: 619PFN Referee
    My first CO in the Navy had a rule on three things banned from being discussed in the wardroom during meals....sex, religion, and politics.   He said that reasoned discussion on these subjects was nearly impossible and no one's mind was ever changed by discussion anyway.   30+ years later, there is little evidence to suggest that he was wrong.
    edited June 9
    Rick - some people can, others cannot. It’s really an insight into someone’s heart. My impression is that all of the regular posters here can do it. However, I think a big reason TAT does this is that disagreements definitely can escalate, and everyone goes in their corner. I can tell you, my traffic to BTP has been cut significantly simply because I don’t want to be cursed at. 

No site is perfect. If someone has a problem with TATs rules, they can start their own. I like the site, and I think we may be happier individuals with TATs moratorium.
  • PicklePackPicklePack Posts: 17
    I enjoyed BTP for all the content and enjoyed most of the poster’s takes. However I’ve always thought the opinions here are more mature and realistic about the state of our athletics. I have enjoyed this site and SFN all the way back to the end of Herb’s tenure.
  • ryebreadryebread Posts: 2,144PFN Referee
    edited June 9
    Vawolf82 said:
    My first CO in the Navy had a rule on three things banned from being discussed in the wardroom during meals....sex, religion, and politics.   He said that reasoned discussion on these subjects was nearly impossible and no one's mind was ever changed by discussion anyway.   30+ years later, there is little evidence to suggest that he was wrong.
    I've heard that guidance many times.  I generally use it as well.  I call it the "dinner party" rule.

I do think progress can happen.  Sex doesn't have nearly the stigma in the USA that it had when I was a child (and for good reason, HIV was a huge scary problem not unlike COVID19).  Of course that's quite possibly generational and quite possibly follows other socio-economic lines.
  • AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 2,631
    Interesting....

I once commented to my daughter on all the outrage and social media bashing over Michael Vick and his "actions and convictions" and such.

She put it in perspective....  Some people, regardless of intellect and/or social/financial position...  will be more agitated over issues involving animals or such that the cruelties to humans.  In addition, their "beliefs or causes" often were in conflict.

To expand further, our ex DIL would often lecture and give advice to our daughter on how she was or should be raising our GK's.  Now this is a woman that God should have made barren due to her lack of non-nurturing parent qualities.

I need to set the stage....for this dinner topic.  My ex DIL was almost arrested for getting in the face of a grandfather that brought his grand daughter to an "Oscar Meyer"  audition where they sang..."I want to be an Oscar Meyer weiner...."  and also were provided with free samples and had their precious ones photographed in the Weiner-Mobile...

That little episode was enlightening of her political or "Cause" zeal. 

She was, among other things....not of income production... a SPCA and VEGAN "Community Organizer"....if you get my drift.  My son, now in reflection, says that he never realized now "NON fanatical or opinionated" that I was until he married her.  They are still friends and he will probably "Give her away" if her ailing father passes away and she remarried.

OK....NOW to the Dinner Table topic (no politics, sex or religion).  My Ex DIL expressed disdain for Michael Vick and his sins and behavior.  She then quipped that if he had been "White", she would have gladly participated in a mob lynching of him for his actions....but since he was "Black", that probably would not have gone over too well.  This was a serious remark....and I truly believe that she would have been an agitator to do him harm had she been in a "Protest" crowd....

SO....you NEVER KNOW....

Michael Vick - . He had a teammate get caught in a drunken racist stupid rant (white receiver) - he could have gone after him, and everyone would have “thumbed up” his Twitter. But alas, he understood more than any the importance and value of forgiveness. 

At that moment I became a Vick fan. A rare man capable of empathy, sympathy, perspective and knowing like all of us, he has a big old stick in his eye.
  • GsoPackBackerGsoPackBacker Posts: 911
    Talking about politics without creating a cluster takes a fair amount of work from all involved.  Even more so when on line when tone is lost.

If we ask more questions to clarify and confirm we learn more, but we also create a better dialogue.  That's what my wife tells me.  I jest ... Mostly.

On a serious note, I read the aforementioned thread on here after it had been closed.  A sensitive subject, lots of opinions, not enough questions.  Easier to see when you're not involved.🙂
  • TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 2,632PFN Referee
    SFN was my main go to back when the original owners had the drive to keep it going.  What a great site that was to follow during the Lee Fowler tenure... I still think that site's publicity of the failures of NC State leadership at that time had a lot to do with his ultimate departure.

I actually reached out to SFN on Twitter before starting this site to see if he wanted to join forces but he politely declined.  SFN site at the time went down and stayed down for about 2 weeks unnoticed by the owners.  He had his run and I think was probably burned out.  Nothing wrong with next chapters.

At one point I batted the idea around of advertising PFN to try to build the user base ultimately but decided against it.  IMO the current community we have here is great group who do (for the most part) good job of policing themselves and generally courteous to one another.  I'm not sure how widely known this site is among Pack fans, but the community here is advertising enough.. if folks read it and like it and want to be a part of it they will.  I concluded organic growth is probably better than inorganic growth.

Appreciate you guys adhering to the politics policy here.. I pissed some people off when I implemented that policy but as already mentioned above politics has become over-saturated with toxicity and I didn't want that permeating this site.

As to your original question I don't have any strong recommendations for other Pack sites as I don't venture out to them myself, but I do know that WolfpackWire.com is a very neat site that aggregates headlines from multiple Pack sources.
  • Fastback68Fastback68 Posts: 771
    I wish I had known about SFN earlier because the wood chopper about damn broke me in half.  Brackman hitting a late 3 to oust UConn and their smug coach was not worth a decade.  Several great posters here would have been even more beneficial to me back in the day.  I appreciate all the work TAT.

Can you throw up a P.O. box address for donations again or send a pm?  I’m past due on my therapy payments.
  • Vawolf82Vawolf82 Posts: 619PFN Referee
    I pissed some people off when I implemented that policy but as already mentioned above politics has become over-saturated with toxicity and I didn't want that permeating this site.

As one of the moderators at SFN, I hate that I ignored the political threads that evidently spun out of control.   I don't have a great deal of respect for the wide majority of politicians and just wasn't interested in any of those types of discussions....except for the occasional jab at BJD of course.

edited June 10
    Can you throw up a P.O. box address for donations again or send a pm?  I’m past due on my therapy payments.
    It's all good, Fastback, send any funds you'd have sent my way to a charity of your choice :smile:
  • 1984Met1984Met Posts: 462
    edited June 10
    SFN was my main go to back when the original owners had the drive to keep it going.  What a great site that was to follow during the Lee Fowler tenure... I still think that site's publicity of the failures of NC State leadership at that time had a lot to do with his ultimate departure.

I actually reached out to SFN on Twitter before starting this site to see if he wanted to join forces but he politely declined.  SFN site at the time went down and stayed down for about 2 weeks unnoticed by the owners.  He had his run and I think was probably burned out.  Nothing wrong with next chapters.

At one point I batted the idea around of advertising PFN to try to build the user base ultimately but decided against it.  IMO the current community we have here is great group who do (for the most part) good job of policing themselves and generally courteous to one another.  I'm not sure how widely known this site is among Pack fans, but the community here is advertising enough.. if folks read it and like it and want to be a part of it they will.  I concluded organic growth is probably better than inorganic growth.

Appreciate you guys adhering to the politics policy here.. I pissed some people off when I implemented that policy but as already mentioned above politics has become over-saturated with toxicity and I didn't want that permeating this site.

As to your original question I don't have any strong recommendations for other Pack sites as I don't venture out to them myself, but I do know that WolfpackWire.com is a very neat site that aggregates headlines from multiple Pack sources.

If I'm not mistaken, WolfpackWire.com used to have SFN links.  Thanks for the reminder of that site (wolfpackwire).
  • GsoPackBackerGsoPackBacker Posts: 911
    Thanks for the heads up on the WolfpackWire website as I'd never heard of it before.

Also, curiosity got the best of me and I went and red through the CPI thread on BTP.  

Not sure about y'all, but if sports don't resume in the fall, I'd pay to see a couple of the posters there go at it in a cage match.  Not sure who else I'd pick, but I'd have to have the poster named MISCOPHI in the ring.  LOL

That thread was dizzying and sadly really missed the point.  Not surprising as it went off the rails at post #3, I believe.
    Gso, I read through it too, what an absolute shit show.  Perfect cross section of any typical political discussion on the internet.
  • pakfanistanpakfanistan Posts: 280
    I like backingthepack.  I think they do a good job.  
  • Hogw1ldHogw1ld Posts: 150
    I like them too, but I've never participated in discussion there.  Good place for Pack news, though.
  • ryebreadryebread Posts: 2,144PFN Referee
    edited June 10
    TaT's done a great job here.  The no politics call has been a good one.

- BTP was okay until recently.  They were my #2 site behind here.  They've lost their way a bit, and that's largely due to a lack of NC State sports to cover.  Their POAPS threads are probably the best out there.

- 247 is fine if you stay out of the Brickyard swamp.  Wolfer and a handful keep it interesting, though it's never had the same character since OTF died.  The site has thankfully stopped fluffing since James Henderson left to start IPS.  It was tough to stomach during the JH/Yow/Gott/Lowe eras, and the Herb wars (with party line fluffing) were things of legend.

- IPS is good for news on basketball recruiting.  That's the only thing there worth reading IMHO.  If they decide to put that content behind a paywall, I would never click there again.

- Several analytics sites are good when seasons are in play. They're not NC State specific.
    edited June 10
    Like Rye said - they do an excellent job with N.C. State stuff for the most part, really funny and witty stuff at times. Great analytics and good previews. However, the groupthink and language is absolutely scary. There’s a lack of tolerance for anything that deviates from the mods and a protected poster who can throw tantrums like child. When I talk about lack of empathy, I think a lot of the more “recd” posters fall into that category. If that’s what the future is like our society will not be a free one.

Rye - I thought you did an excellent job on previews.

and paki - I disagree with your viewpoint a lot, but I am glad you have a different opinion and always express it in a fairly respectable fashion. 

In general, I just respect that this is a site where people can usually avoid calling each other names or cursing at one another. Sadly boys, we are a dying breed methinks.