Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

2020 Garden and Farming Thread

HighstickHighstick Posts: 355PFN Referee
Cowdog, what ya' got in your farm?  I saw more super hot pepper plants for sale this year than ever before.  I started mine early this year and took over from my wife.  Lettuce is about crapped out now, but got a crop of cabbages in the works.  Maters have a couple of little ones on the vines and it's still May!

Comments

• Fastback68Fastback68 Posts: 771
    I’ve been waiting for this thread to begin.  I don’t grow anything but still enjoyable to read.  A pair of wood ducks were swimming through my back yard Wednesday afternoon after all the rain.  I put corn out for the squirrels but in a nefarious way.  The ducks were diving down to feed like it was a flooded corn field.
  • TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 2,632PFN Referee
    Haven't seen CD around these parts in several months?  Really since FB season concluded I think.  Hopefully he's doing well.

I'll be trying my hand at building a computer from parts instead of container garden this year!  I give it a coin flip chance it turns on after I'm done.  If it turns into an expensive brick maybe I'll use the casing as a tomato plant container.
  • Pack78Pack78 Posts: 373
    Haven't seen CD around these parts in several months?  Really since FB season concluded I think.  Hopefully he's doing well.

I'll be trying my hand at building a computer from parts instead of container garden this year!  I give it a coin flip chance it turns on after I'm done.  If it turns into an expensive brick maybe I'll use the casing as a tomato plant container.

Or, alternatively a boat anchor...
  • AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 2,630

Troll,  smart money is on you.  I’ve seen your “skills”.  As long as you have YouTube and a computer to do some searches with and do your homework on what components are the most reliable and also the most versatile.....as in having fewer conflicts requiring customization or paramet settings, you should be fine.  Most of the ones that I built or rebuilt or fixed required more understanding of OS system parameters and how to configure each for compatibility.

sort of a been there...done that....so I don’t build anymore....and only fix family machines or provide tech support.

Troll,  smart money is on you.  I’ve seen your “skills”.  As long as you have YouTube and a computer to do some searches with and do your homework on what components are the most reliable and also the most versatile.....as in having fewer conflicts requiring customization or paramet settings, you should be fine.  Most of the ones that I built or rebuilt or fixed required more understanding of OS system parameters and how to configure each for compatibility.

sort of a been there...done that....so I don’t build anymore....and only fix family machines or provide tech support.
    I've heard these days putting together a computer from parts is a lot lot Legos for adults and a lot easier than it used to be.  I'm not a "hardware" guy though so we'll see how it goes lol.  If nothing else it will be fun time with the kiddo.
  • HighstickHighstick Posts: 355PFN Referee
    Ironically, I've got to send my Brother Multifunction printer to get worked on  Probably just a good cleaning on the rollers.  
  • 1984Met1984Met Posts: 462
    We have had crazy weather up here.  Had frost at the first of the month and then again a couple of weeks ago.  But with warm days in between, our spinach just bolted.  Looking to plant tomatoes -- probably late but I'm still getting the hang of the climate here after being away for so long.
    BOTB will be glad to know that my Palisades zoysia recovered from dormancy very well as compared to the Supersod Zenith variety that one of my neighbor's laid last summer.  Weeds were also growing well, but with a little 2-4-D spraying, they are back under control.

I developed another fetish last summer with succulents.  They have been fun to mess with, but I do much better rooting from cuttings/droppings than from seed.  

Not a garden/farming quetion per se.. best over the counter post-emergent weed killer?  You just spray it on existing weeds, correct?
  • PicklePackPicklePack Posts: 17
    Troll, if you’re just spraying to kill weeds for bare ground or in your driveway or anything like that roundup is fine, if you can get your hands on some Valor or Panther (flumioxazin) you will keep it clean for a long time. You will probably need someone with a pesticide applicator license to get you the flumioxazin though.
    ^Meant to add that those two be tank mixed together if you’re looking for a burndown that will stay clean for awhile 
    edited June 27
    Pickle, I'm asking for something that is for the weeds that pop up in the lawn.. I use Ground Clear for the driveway crack weeds and it works great.  For weeds in my lawn I sprayed Spectricide Weedstop but it doesn't really seem to do that much...
    Cimarron then, if you can catch a day where the temp is 85 degrees or less tank mix with atrazine for some post emergence control too.
  • turkeydanceturkeydance Posts: 109
    well, not a garden and definitely not a farm...but a bonfire.
    i pruned a LOT of trees this winter. i burned the brushpiles
    this week. the extended wet spring and a little wind made
    short and safe work.
    I've had good luck with Speedzone for post emergent weed control.  Primarily 2-4-D.  It kills the weed in my zoysia and does not harm the grass.  Warmer days do definitely work faster and better.  I finally picked a tomato.  Got enough green beans for a few meals, but I was experimenting in pots to try to keep the wabbits out of them.   
  • AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 2,630
    Highstick said:
    I've had good luck with Speedzone for post emergent weed control.  Primarily 2-4-D.  It kills the weed in my zoysia and does not harm the grass.  Warmer days do definitely work faster and better.  I finally picked a tomato.  Got enough green beans for a few meals, but I was experimenting in pots to try to keep the wabbits out of them.   
    Two things from my BIL who was an Ag Grad from State and was the “spraying” czar for a county NCDOT crew.  The other source was the former owner of the largest private landscaping company in the Cary  & Apex area.  His sons run it snd they are 300+ employees.

Spray EARLY and watch the clouds to prevent doing so before a rain storm.  Spray late or do whatever you can to avoid the noontime evaporation of the water carrier.

Use a couple of shots or maybe 3-5 Oz of Dawn dishwashing liquid detergent for about a 2.5 gallon mixture.  Our esteemed NCSU profs and grad students and forced intern labor have documented that you can “probably” cut the concentration of chemical in half.  NOW, that assumes that you are purchasing homeowner brews that do not have much surfactant added.

My friend also said that they cut their spraying costs by 25% by adding a vegetable die so that you could see WHERE you were spraying. That cut down on the overspray and also the tendency to go back as, “you might have missed a patch”...

I know that if you order the cheap RoundUp on Amazon, that even though the active ingredient is close to the real RoundUp concentration and even if you bump it to get the tank mixture the same...it is not as good.  But if you add the Dawn and maybe add 1/3 more to “spike” it....it works as well or better....   WAY cheaper than RoundUp...
    I've been buying my glyphosphate from Southern States(their version of the concentrate).  I've had better luck with it than the Roundup version.  I keep forgetting the Dawn and know better.  Dye is a good thought!
    edited July 1
    Dang that is some good stuff Stick and Roo.  I been watching Youtube lawn care videos and basically they are saying the same things.. I've got Southern Ag brand 24-D post emergent coming from Amazon that had a lot of really good reviews and also bought some surfactant.. but looks like maybe could have skipped the latter in lieu of some dish soap.  Can't wait to go to battle with this dogfennel in the yard.

Made my way to Lowes for first time since the pandemic began.. they open at 6am and I went real early in the morning.  I was the only joker there.  Had to go back for something around 11am and line out the wazoo.  Everybody in masks except the Lowe's employees oddly enough.

Edit: Yeah I actually bought some blue dye as well... should be good to use this fall for the prodiamine pre-emergent application I'm thinking.
    Are there any good non chemical control measures to to keep pests out of squash and melons? Besides constantly picking them off by hand.
  • Hogw1ldHogw1ld Posts: 150
    1984Met said:
    Are there any good non chemical control measures to to keep pests out of squash and melons? Besides constantly picking them off by hand.
    squash bugs or something else?  Only luck with squash bugs for me is sevin.  Little bastards will kill a plant quick.
    Squash bugs.
  • Hogw1ldHogw1ld Posts: 150
    I'm sure there is something else out there that works, but I hit them with sevin right away when I get them.  Usually don't see them until late season when a lot of the stem is on the ground and the fruit is past where they normally attack the plant.  Still early season here, though.
  • packplantpathpackplantpath Posts: 21
    Squash bugs don't handle bifenthrin, especially if you spray when small.  If you get a formulation for vegetables, can harvest in 3 days.  But careful spraying in mornings or you will likely get some poor pollinations and few pollinators for a while.  

If you can get some imidacloprid to mix it lasts longer but harvest interval is I think 5 days which is a bit much for squash.

Seven (carbaryl) is less effective, but will help if it's all you have.

Non chemical is to basically hope they don't show up.

This has been the oddest growing season so far for us in east NC.  I still have 35 acres of beans to plant and just finished picking wheat Monday.  Rain only comes in 3" or more at a time and in small patches.   The last 35 acres beans is very wet and may not get planted. I have neighbors who are already filing for prevented planting on several thousand acres total.  

Should be a bumper crop for corn here.  Early, sandy land beans look good.  Cotton is great, except where damping off killed it completely.  We have probably 40 acres total dead.  Tobacco in the neighborhood looks like crap.  Thin leaves, nitrogen leeched out and they are scrambling to figure out how to add more to chest high plants.  I don't envy them and am glad we don't have any for the first time in years.
    This is our second year with no tobacco and I don’t miss it one bit. So wet here that there aren’t many beans even planted, cotton is drowned, tobacco washed out, corn drowning even on sandier land and our first 100 acres of cucumbers were a near total disaster. Toughest season at this point that I can remember in my lifetime. (34 years old)
    About to change out lawn mower blades on a little Honda push mower.. manual says to use torque wrench.. come here to seek you wily veteran's advice on if that's really necessary or just tighten the heck out of it?