Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

NC State football gets commitment from four-star Georgia quarterback

freshmanin83freshmanin83 Posts: 1,528PFN Referee

Aaron McLaughlin, a 6-5, 219-pound quarterback out of Denmark High School in Alpharetta, Ga., posted on Twitter Thursday morning that he was verbally committing to the Wolfpack.

“I have found a home, all glory to God,” McLaughlin posted wearing an N.C. State uniform. “Committed to NC State.”

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/nc-state/article242735026.html

Comments

• choppack1choppack1 Posts: 1,440
    Huge get and badly needed.
  • TexpackTexpack Posts: 2,387
    I thought Leary was a four star QB?  
    DD just got a second year
    This could be big
  • GasHouseGangstaGasHouseGangsta Posts: 417
    Can he catch it after he throws it and then tackle, too? Maybe even coach?
  • 1984Met1984Met Posts: 417
    Regarding GHG's coaching comment (I like your humor), below is a graphic showing an interesting and simple comparison of Earle Edwards to Dave Doeren. 

I picked Earle Edwards because I can't imagine him staying as long as he did after looking at his first eight years -- if he was coaching today.  Of course, I wasn't a part of the discussion on SFN/PFN about basketball and football coaches at State over the last twenty years.  (It did make for some interesting reading on midnight shift breaks!)  I think this simple comparison of both coaches showed me that in most coaches in college (outside of the top five or ten) have generally average records with some interspersed success.

After looking at his ACC division records as compared to Coach Edwards' conference records (almost an apple to apple comparison), it looks like Coach Doeren may need to get some of that interspersed success soon.  Hopefully Aaron McLaughlin is a sign that recruiting is ramping up.  I'd like to see State finally overtake Clemson for the division and go for that long sought ACC crown.  By the way, I freely admit that most of you, if not all, are more expert than I am regarding State football.

For the graphic below, note that the conference had eight teams from 1954 through 1970.  "Conf Finish" is the division finish for Dave Doeren.

My pop played for Earl. DD couldn't hold his jock
  • Fastback68Fastback68 Posts: 748
    Big Play ability as a RUNNER is what I read about AM.  Aside from Brisset’s solid year of run stats, I’ve been waiting 7 years for the dual threat qb.  I hope he doesn’t have to marinate for 3 years.
  • TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 2,578PFN Referee
    when can he start?
  • 1984Met1984Met Posts: 417
    My pop played for Earl. DD couldn't hold his jock

Didn't mean to demean Earle Edwards.  Just wanted to put up a very simple comparison.  I think Coach Edwards was one of our great football coaches given the circumstances the teams had to play under him (small stadium and a lot of games away from home, etc.).

What position(s) did your father play?
  • ryebreadryebread Posts: 2,105PFN Referee
    edited May 16
    Texpack said:
    I thought Leary was a four star QB?  
    DD just got a second year
    This could be big
    DD is getting two, and was before COVID19.  All one had to do was examine how all the contracts lined up.  

COVID19 just ensures it will happen because there is no way NC State has the cash for a buyout.  Yow did us no favors with DD.

On topic, this pickup is promising.  His film looks way better than Leary’s did to me.

We need a lot more than just this.  The Cheating Blues are killing us on the recruiting trail and cleaning up in state.
    1984Met said:

What position(s) did your father play?
    Met, he played on the oline in the late 1960s, the team that beat UGA in Liberty, Houston when they were ranked #1 at Houston, the team that had it first and goal inside 5 late down a few against Penn St, only to be stopped short. Beat the Tar Heels every year.
  • WulfpackWulfpack Posts: 2,236
    I just watched some highlights of this kid and he looks fantastic. 
    Agreed Wulfpack. They also had well coached receivers.
    Yeah.  I hope we are offering at least one of those receivers.
  • jppackattackjppackattack Posts: 435
    Heard he played on same 7-on-7 team with Porter Rooks. Hope to see those 2 connect for some TDs in the future. This QB certainly looks like someone you could build an offense around if you could get him to stay 3 or 4 years. I now am starting to have the mindset that this season isn’t going to matter so let’s give DD and his crew one more crack at it starting in 2021 regardless of what happens this season (barring any kind of complete meltdown and/or some sort of scandal). DD has shown that with really solid QB play he can get to 8 or 9 wins and I think that’s certainly within reason if this kid is as advertised. If we can get some kind of improvement on defense who knows maybe 10 or 11 is possible. Also, we took him from Auburn which makes me even more happy.
    J.P.:  I love the optimism but I don’t think a 3-3-5 defense minus top 10 talent is going to produce a 10 win (or 9 win) ACC team.  I think the recruiting needs for that are too specific.

I’d love to be wrong....
  • jppackattackjppackattack Posts: 435
    ryebread said:
    J.P.:  I love the optimism but I don’t think a 3-3-5 defense minus top 10 talent is going to produce a 10 win (or 9 win) ACC team.  I think the recruiting needs for that are too specific.

I’d love to be wrong....
    Rye, I think it’s possible in the ACC. There will always be Clemson and I realize the Cheating Machine is back in business but apart from that this league offers no other teams perennially that should strike any sort of fear in an opponent. Yes, we’re one of those too but I’m going to give DD the benefit of the doubt he can get back to 2017-2018 form with this team providing he has a solid QB, well coached offense, and a couple years to install the 3-3-5 effectively. That said I would agree it will take a lot of things to break our way. If we’re weak in any area we tend to be exploited regardless of our other strengths. And recruiting wise, I agree it needs to pick up but I don’t be see a huge difference in the type of targets we’re in the mix for now and those we landed back when DD was building the roster leading up to 2017-2018. With him, I think it’s fair to say it’s going to take a larger share of development of lower ranked players to field a successful team.
    DD has already shown you what he can do with recruiting. Not enough, when combined with the gameday decisions.

I never get excited about QB recruits. It's probably the most important position because they touch the ball so much, but it should also be the easiest to recruit. Heck, you take one per class, maybe two, or possibly a third who you plan to use as an athlete to get them on the field. So the kids are competing against maybe 5-6 guys tops for a spot. At every other position, kids are competing against at least two to three times that many players for time, and sometimes more. My point, it should be easier to get good QB talent, especially if what you have sucks.
    Regarding the 3-3-5, my concern is that last versus good opponents, we didn’t stop the run. In order to have a “good” defense, you have to be able to consistently stop the run. If you can’t stop the run, your D won’t be able to get off the field. 
    choppack1 said:
    Regarding the 3-3-5, my concern is that last versus good opponents, we didn’t stop the run. In order to have a “good” defense, you have to be able to consistently stop the run. If you can’t stop the run, your D won’t be able to get off the field. 
    +1 The only way to stop the run with the 3-3-5 is with 300 lb beef on the DL.  Thise kinds of players need to be rotated, so now you need 6-8 of them.  

Pair it (in our instance) with a secondary that has been bad every year DD has been here outside of one, yet we are going to put 5 players out there.  We haven’t been able to either coach it or recruit it since Clayton White left.  

I just don’t see the personnel to be successful with it on every down. But I would love to be wrong.

We’re currently modeled after a Big12 team, which is interesting given DD seemed to want to be a Big10 team (at least initially).  Of course style doesn’t matter all that much if you are playing with MAC level talent.
  • RickRick Posts: 2,180PFN Referee
    I have about a 4% confidence level DD can do anything worth a flip here but my confidence level isn't much higher for anyone else so. Meh
    DD has demonstrated he can methodically build a team. Any review of his tenure has to include the contradictory facts that he has had the 2 worst conference records and 2 best conference records in the last 25 years.

If a team is a reflection of its coach, DD doesn’t handle adversity well. If things are going well, his team can steamroll a weaker opponent.
  • GsoPackBackerGsoPackBacker Posts: 838
    My sense has always been that talent aside, DD tends to "underthink" or overthink the situation.  Whether that is selecting a QB, clock management, providing input on the Xs and O's, using a stat chart to determine when to go for it, or whatever.

The only area where I can feel that he has always been consistent in his thinking is when deal with player issues.  That's a big deal in my book, but doesn't really require a football mind either.
  • Vawolf82Vawolf82 Posts: 571PFN Referee
    ryebread said:

I’d love to be wrong....

I agree.   Because of the proximity, I watched Al Groh try to bring the 3-4 to Hoo'ville.   At one time, he had one DL and 3 LB's that all made NFL teams.  UVa was good, but nothing extraordinary with that much talent in the front 7.    I don't see State doing any better than Groh did at UVa.

edited May 18
    Vawolf82 said:
    ryebread said:

I’d love to be wrong....

I agree.   Because of the proximity, I watched Al Groh try to bring the 3-4 to Hoo'ville.   At one time, he had one DL and 3 LB's that all made NFL teams.  UVa was good, but nothing extraordinary with that much talent in the front 7.    I don't see State doing any better than Groh did at UVa.

VAWolf: I watched that experiment rather closely as well.  We're not going to recruit better than Al Groh did (as recruiting was his strength given the NFL promise).  We're also playing a scheme with one fewer LBs than that 3-4, so even less run support.

I think we're going to look like W. Va light (under Holgerson)....
  • Vawolf82Vawolf82 Posts: 571PFN Referee
    recruiting was his [Groh's] strength given the NFL promise

It's not a point worth arguing, but Groh had a number of 5*kids end up going to Hargrave, et al and were counted in two consecutive recruiting classes.   At the time, I wondered how his classes would have ranked if the post-grad kids were only counted once.