Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

Manning Out at Wake Forest (Finally)

Wake is moving on. Candidates?

I think it will be Wes Miller. 

Comments

• choppack1choppack1 Posts: 1,440
    I hope not. He’s a good coach. Surprised awake did this now. They must have their guy.
  • WulfpackWulfpack Posts: 2,236
    choppack1 said:
    I hope not. He’s a good coach. Surprised awake did this now. They must have their guy.
    I am surprised by the timing as well.
    Yea. They have already lost some transfers and I think may have signed some...unless they suddenly found a way to get out of his contract.

A Carolina guy to the core, UNC Greensboro head coach Wes Miller has been viewed as a possible successor to Manning for over a year now. The 36-year-old has created one of the most challenging mid-major programs in the country and has led the Spartans to two conference titles and an NCAA tournament berth in his nine seasons in charge. Miller got to this point by walking on at North Carolina, before then spending time as an assistant coach at Elon, High Point and UNCG

Accumulating 80 wins within the past three years alone, Miller has made his program one of the elite in the Southern Conference. Outgoing, humble and a young face that should do well with the boosters and alumni base, Miller’s parents are long-time Wake Forest donors and the university's basketball athletic facility is named after his father.

• TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 2,578PFN Referee
    Finished with an abysmal 30-80 (0.273) final ACC record.. lol only thing weird about the timing is that it came years later than it should have.

Manning did turn around Tulsa in like 1 year and so they took a chance he was next great coach, but like so many others it turns out it is dang tough to translate that success over to P5.  But the decision to let the experiment last for 6 years was just awful.
  • Articles talking about Beilein? No effing way right?
    Articles talking about Beilein? No effing way right?
    Heck no. 
    I hope not. He would have come here but Fowler understood a loud portion of our fanbase would lose it if he did...stupidest thing State has ever done was listen to those groans.
    Looks like Pat Kelsey at Winthrop could also be a target. 
  • AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 2,505
    Yep, his overall....including the Dolly Madison’s, was way better than the ACC.

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/odd-timing-but-wake-forest-had-to-move-on-from-danny-manning/19071985/

Lots of rumors.  JB is still, maybe based on speculation, the leading candidate.  Me thinks WFU will try to make a splurge and find a name brand coach.  

Totally weird about the timing.  Maybe Currie got locked into Dick Cheney’s undisclosed location and no one missed him.

THIS will be a BFD as there is nothing else to report....save a guy hitting chip shots off his dad’s lips or vice versa....  
  • https://www.journalnow.com/sports/college/wfu/state-of-the-department-wake-forest-ad-john-currie-discusses-revenue-expenses-and-what-we/article_cfb4a1b2-e0de-5c5a-8f43-381826a20483.html

You do know the coaches at WFU voluntarily cuts, right? I don't know the buyout on Manning or where he was in the contract, and they lost revenue just like other schools, but this probably helped
    https://www.journalnow.com/sports/college/wfu/state-of-the-department-wake-forest-ad-john-currie-discusses-revenue-expenses-and-what-we/article_cfb4a1b2-e0de-5c5a-8f43-381826a20483.html

You do know the coaches at WFU voluntarily cuts, right? I don't know the buyout on Manning or where he was in the contract, and they lost revenue just like other schools, but this probably helped
    One pundit says $15 MILLION.  OUCH...and we think that a certain HFBC with the initials DD has a big "pricetag".  Ron Wellman was considered as one of the TOP AD's in the league.  But, even the big boys make big mistakes....and when they do....the $$ are BIG....
    One of the interesting names being floated is Thad Matta, who would come with no buyout. 
    I would rather see him than Beilein or Miller. He’s good though and would represent a significant improvement.
    Jeff Goodman reporting that it is down to two for Wake - Wes Miller and Steve Forbes (ETSU). 
  • ryebreadryebread Posts: 2,105PFN Referee
    Miller supposedly took his name out of the hat.  He's seemingly holding out for Carolina.

Based on the recent trends in college basketball hiring, I would expect Forbes (or a coach of a similar level).  Maybe that's me hoping?

I don't think Wellman is that good of an AD.  A good AD doesn't hire Manning and then get into that kind of a buy out.  A good AD doesn't hire Bzdelick.  I know a lot of fans like Wellman because he has a short leash, but that short leash is expensive given the insane nature of buyouts.

I also heard Chris Collins (Northwestern) could be a candidate. 

Agree about Wellman. It’ll be interesting to see what John Currie can do in his tenure as AD. 
    edited April 30
    If Collins is a candidate (and takes the job) then he has heard he is not getting the Duke job.  I thought he was the odds on favorite.
    ryebread said:
    If Collins is a candidate (and takes the job) then he has heard he is not getting the Duke job.  I thought he was the odds on favorite.
    I think Brad Stevens wants that job. He won’t stay in the NBA. 
    Well, Ollie, isn’t this a fine kettle of fish that you got us in....
    Forbes looks to be the choice. 
    Wulfpack said:
    ryebread said:
    I think Brad Stevens wants that job. He won’t stay in the NBA. 
    My buddy (who I believe has ties to DBR) is saying it will be Stevens. I think that is a bit of wishful thinking, but they're confident.

It'd be nice to see them whiff on Stevens and have to go to a back up candidate.  The smugness that they think they can just go pluck arguably the best coach that has straddled the college/pro games in recent times is somewhat annoying.  It'd be nice to knock them off the high horse.

I feel like it's not Stevens, but that one of the K disciples is where they will fall back to.  That's likely Collins in my mind.  But if Collins were to take another ACC job, then presumably he'd have heard it wasn't going to be him.
  • TexpackTexpack Posts: 2,387
    Steve Forbes should be able to pay his own salary so this is a smart cost move by Wake. 
  • 1984Met1984Met Posts: 417
    WXII TV-12 just announced Steve Forbes has been hired by WFU.
    Forbes spent the past five seasons at ETSU where he compiled a record of 130-43, won two Southern Conference titles, never finished worse than third in his league, and secured automatic bids to the NCAA Tournament twice. His relationship with Wake Forest Athletic Director John Currie was beneficial in the process, a source told CBS Sports. Currie was an administrator at Tennessee in the 2000s while Forbes was an assistant for the Vols on Bruce Pearl's staff.