Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

Devin Leary Named Starting QB

Comments

• Vawolf82Vawolf82 Posts: 571PFN Referee
    I thought this was a given.
  • ryebreadryebread Posts: 2,105PFN Referee
    What that means to me is that we probably aren’t trying to find any more QB help.
  • WulfpackWulfpack Posts: 2,236
    Is Finley expected to redshirt?
    Wulf: I imagine.  He is a three star.
  • TexpackTexpack Posts: 2,387
    If you recall how grossly Tim Beck mis-managed the multiple QB options at tOSU the year after they won the NC you’d be terrified. If you have watched Sam Ehlinger play you might even be a tad optimistic. Hopefully he can develop Leary. If he can’t, the 4.5 win projection is high. 
  • choppack1choppack1 Posts: 1,440
    Texpack - I don’t think it’s a guarantee this guy will be that much better either. Hopefully, he has turned a corner and he’s a hidden gem. 
    edited April 17
    Tex: Like you, I'm less impressed with the Tim Beck hire than many NC State fans.  I think if you cannot win (BIG) at Texas and Ohio State, then what are you going to do with NC State's talent?  Any stumble at those stops is a red flag in hiring or predicting future performance at little ol' NC State.

Flip side, is that there is no way to go but up? Roper clearly wasn't the answer and that two headed cluster @#($)* that we had at OC wasn't helping anything.  That was three and probably four (as I imagine HFC DD was involved as well) people stirring that pot.  Throw in fact that all 3 QBs tried and all 3 eventually benched/pulled at some point, and I honestly feel a bit sorry for the players.  Maybe just having to listen to one voice will make things better?

It feels like this season will be a throw away. If they do play, how many games will there be?  If it's league play only, I'd be happy with 4/5 wins.  ;)
  • SamIamSamIam Posts: 484
    Hello all, hope you're healthy.
    Great news, Devon Leary named starter.....meanwhile the team in blue we shouldve and would've burried if anyone in the athletic department had a clue is quickly building one hell of a team.  2021's second ranked class with 11 4star kids coming and I can't even hate on them at all about it.  Anyway, I just hope we can all enjoy football again this fall.
    SamIam said:
    Hello all, hope you're healthy.
    Great news, Devon Leary named starter.....meanwhile the team in blue we shouldve and would've burried if anyone in the athletic department had a clue is quickly building one hell of a team.  2021's second ranked class with 11 4star kids coming and I can't even hate on them at all about it.  Anyway, I just hope we can all enjoy football again this fall.
    Pretty well sums it up. Maybe if there were a year not to have football, this would be it?
    ^ I kinda agree. I didn’t like what Mack built his first iteration in Chapel Hill and I am definitely not liking his second act.
    Many State fans were smug when UNC hired Mack again. We heard things like:
    - He’s too old.
    - He got run out of town at Texas.
    - UNC stinks and always will.
    - DD can coach ‘em up!

I thought it signaled that the UNC cheating machine was cranked back up.  State was about to get passed again like when we were messing around with Sendek in basketball and UNC hired Roy. Nothing I see about the way they are recruiting suggests anything else to be the case.

We will ride DD two more years. During this time UNC will continue to amass talent.  It will just be that much more difficult for the next coach at State.

• jppackattackjppackattack Posts: 435
    Relax. Devin visited The Ancient One during the off-season, he’s fine now.
  • RickRick Posts: 2,180PFN Referee
    Hiring Mack was a big middle finger to the NCAA.
    Their cheating is going to be at another level now. They are untouchable and they know it.

We need to 
    1.  Lower the ticket prices
    2.  Somehow obtain more parking space
    3.  Find a quarterback who also knows a good coach 
    4.  Get away from the gimmicky uniforms and
    5.  pick one sport or the other...bball or football and go all in
  • 1984Met1984Met Posts: 417
    I agree.  Might be tough if there is no football this fall.  Plus the school went without any conference split of NCAA basketball tournament monies.
    Tua’s younger brother, Taulia, hitting the transfer portal. If we move our entire operations to Miami or thereabouts we could have a chance to land him. I will enjoy watching him shred UNC’s defense and make Pappy Mack cuss, regardless.
  • KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 3,636PFN Referee
    We are soooo fucked, agree that 2020 washing out completely is Best Case Wolven Scenario
  • AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 2,505
    Wulfpack said:
    Finally....we are ranked 
    Why y’all so leery of Leary?
    That is a year too early.  DD’s seat (this year) is fairly cold.
    ryebread said:
    It all depends. Another bed pooping like last year and he’s done. I think Boo will be shocked at how toxic the atmosphere is and how the support will drop off a cliff. The good news is that with a successful season, it will all go away. Most football coaches are just 2 unanimously sorry seasons away from being fired. But, one good season buys them that other year. 
    choppack1 said:
    ryebread said:
    It all depends. Another bed pooping like last year and he’s done. I think Boo will be shocked at how toxic the atmosphere is and how the support will drop off a cliff. The good news is that with a successful season, it will all go away. Most football coaches are just 2 unanimously sorry seasons away from being fired. But, one good season buys them that other year. 
    Agreed, the sitch is we ain't having a good year this season.  
    In normal circumstances I might agree, but would still point to how the contracts are lined up for the following season.  In this instance, with a whole new staff and COVID19’s impact to athletics budgets, I think DD is sleeping just fine.  

Had Boo wanted DD gone, he’d have made him lie in the bed he made with the assists for another year.  Instead he opened that checkbook...
    Why y’all so leery of Leary?
    Didn’t seem like he was the answer to me, but I’ve been wrong plenty before. I certainly hope he can show significant improvement.