Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

When Does Sportsball Come Back?

KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 3,916PFN Referee
It's impolitic to say this, let alone think it.  But I think about it almost constantly.

My rough thinking = nothing until fall. MLB cancels completely, 80% likely no college season (might this work to NC State's relative benefit?). NBA and NHL let the NFL be their "canary in the coalmine" as there is NO CHANCE they won't play, though maybe delayed by 4-6 weeks. I think no fans in NFL, at least for first half of the season.

If no disasters, then NBA and NHL will start up. Either they just complete their paused seasons, or start anew. That will be an interesting discussion. All English footy will void the 2019-20 season, and start back in September training. Compressed, but full season, no Caribou Cup.
PFN Feedback!
  1. Is Hippo Too Pessimistic?13 votes
    1. Just about right
      38.46%
    2. Too pessimistic
      23.08%
    3. It will be even worse (for fans)
        0.00%
    4. Fuck if I know, man
      38.46%

Comments

• WulfpackWulfpack Posts: 2,243
    I think there is a very real possibility MLB will play in front of no fans (with strict testing in place). I’d say by June. 
  • choppack1choppack1 Posts: 1,930
    Oddly enough, this may help college basketball in the long run. 

I think golf should be able to start in June. There’s already talk about Tiger and Peyton vs Mickleson and Brady.
  • GsoPackBackerGsoPackBacker Posts: 1,108
    Candidly, no clue here, but I have a sense that in 5 months when pro football is ready to start, they will have figured out at least a partial solution.  Of course, training camp starts long before that, so I guess we'll have to wait and see.
    There are so many more intangibles with college football, I really don’t know. Some have indicated the season may be in jeopardy, but it just seems too early to call. If this dips into July, then I can see the season being called. The NFL will make sure there is a season, even if games are played in empty stadiums for the first half of the season. 

As far as the NBA goes, I think you could see some totally out of the box thinking. I think they find a way. 
    The British Open (July) has been canceled. 
    Administrators are looking at models at what the college football season looks like if teams reconvene on June 1, July 1 and August 1. The idea of conference games only this year has been floated. 
  • KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 3,916PFN Referee
    With the raw numbers involved, even without fans in the stadium (which would be harder on college than NFL) - maths indicates that someone would die of the virus during a 2020 college football season.

The legal vulnerability and the bad press from that?  Nobody will want to be THAT university.

On The Athletic, you see national writers starting to talk nervously about the next college HOOPS season.
    With the raw numbers involved, even without fans in the stadium (which would be harder on college than NFL) - maths indicates that someone would die of the virus during a 2020 college football season.

The legal vulnerability and the bad press from that?  Nobody will want to be THAT university.

On The Athletic, you see national writers starting to talk nervously about the next college HOOPS season.
    Yea, things are not trending in a good way. College athletics is dependent on football. If there isn’t a season, many programs at many schools will fold. 
    Even more than that, I expect some universities to fold.
    Iowa State cutting coaches/administrators pay and bonuses:

The athletic department is implementing six new initiatives aimed at what the school expects to be a $5 million shortfall. Those measures include a one-year, temporary pay reduction for coaches and certain staff; a one-year, temporary suspension of all bonuses/incentives for all coaches; a one-year in the announced increase in Cyclone Club annual giving levels; a freeze on ticket prices; an extension to the deadline for this year's Cyclone Club donations and football season ticket renewals to May 29 and multiple payment options for season tickets and donations.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/iowa-state-announces-pay-cuts-and-bonus-reductions-for-coaches-to-make-up-for-financial-challenges/
  • 44rules44rules Posts: 460
    Heck, even if I bought tickets - and in the ATL there's no reason to - I wouldn't buy them now without a 100% no questions asked refund policy. But us writer types are cheap ...
  • pakfanistanpakfanistan Posts: 338
    I was thinking last night how hilarious games may be after sportsball comes back since nobody will be able to practice for potentially months.  
    I was thinking last night how hilarious games may be after sportsball comes back since nobody will be able to practice for potentially months.  
    This is very true.  But I am so starved for freaking anything that I watched a YouTube stream of Nicaraguan futbol last night.
  • Vawolf82Vawolf82 Posts: 787PFN Referee
    Well, the won't open up stadiums until the number of cases has dropped to some yet undetermined level.    I had heard/read early on that temperatures of 86F or higher would kill the virus.    I tried to pin down the effect of temperature down and am now more confused than ever:

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200323-coronavirus-will-hot-weather-kill-covid-19

What I got out of that article, was that there are plenty of opinions and options, but no one knows for sure.    
  • pakfanistanpakfanistan Posts: 338
    This is very true.  But I am so starved for freaking anything that I watched a YouTube stream of Nicaraguan futbol last night.
    Get interested in kabaddi.  Tons of content on youtube, and it's AWESOME.
    Iowa State’s AD on importance of playing a football season this year:

“What we’re facing right now is one of three things,” Pollard said. “It’s either a winter blizzard that we hunker down for the weekend, it’s the Farmers’ Almanac predicting that we’re going to have a really hard winter or we’re facing the Ice Age. I think we’ve all figured out that this is bigger than a blizzard, that we’re shut down for the weekend. We’re probably in a phase right now that we’re in a long, hard winter.

“But if we can’t play football this fall, I mean it’s Ice Age time. Because there is nobody in our industry right now that could reasonably forecast a contingency plan for how they would get through not playing any football games.”

Of Iowa State athletics’ $87.55 million 2020 fiscal year budget, 14 percent ($12.5 million) was from projected football ticket sales. Another $40 million comes from the Big 12 and NCAA, and about 85 percent of that number is football-related.

“The thought that (there’s) no football and losing an entire season, that’s a complete game-changer,” Pollard said. “College athletics wouldn’t — I’m not going to say go away as we know it, but it’s probably closer to that answer.

yep, I read that on The Athletic, too
  • WolfWiz11WolfWiz11 Posts: 438
    Whenever it comes back, GT men's basketball will be eligible for the postseason https://247sports.com/Article/NCAA-accepts-Georgia-Tech-basketball-postseason-ban-ACC-Tournament-145627661/
    Although the NFL remains hopeful of starting its regular season on time and in front of packed stadiums, its chief medical officer, Dr. Allen Sills, said Thursday that certain prerequisites -- including widespread testing for the coronavirus -- must be met for that to happen.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28989073/nfl-dr-allen-sills-says-certain-conditions-met-season-start
  • GsoPackBackerGsoPackBacker Posts: 1,108
    Baseball season is pretty much shot, but I was thinking about the general vitriol being spewed about the Astros being cheaters and the reaction they would have gotten if the season started as usual.

I think whenever play resumes, that will have largely died down. Maybe sports and rivalries in general will get refreshed with a renewed interest and a less "hateful" tone.

Nah, what the hell am I thinking. Lol
  • ryebreadryebread Posts: 2,311PFN Referee
    I suspect the NFL will go without preseason and college football likely goes without the powder puff games.  Both products are likely better for it.

I don't think baseball is playing this year.  They're so tied to the 162 game schedule that I am not sure what appetite there is for the truncated schedule.
  • freshmanin83freshmanin83 Posts: 1,601PFN Referee
    edited April 3
    Pound for pound the best goal keeper.

The NBA won’t have a traditional postseason, but they are trying to get creative:

Despite the numerous logistical obstacles, the NBA has not given up on the idea of crowning a champion for the 2019-20 campaign. The league has thought about holding the entirety of what would be a truncated postseason in Las Vegas, according to Mannix. The idea there is that the players would all be tested beforehand, and then be quarantined within the confines of designated hotels and training facilities. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-could-salvage-season-with-truncated-playoff-tournament-in-las-vegas-report-says/
  • TexpackTexpack Posts: 2,779
    Baseball season is pretty much shot, but I was thinking about the general vitriol being spewed about the Astros being cheaters and the reaction they would have gotten if the season started as usual.

I think whenever play resumes, that will have largely died down. Maybe sports and rivalries in general will get refreshed with a renewed interest and a less "hateful" tone.

Nah, what the hell am I thinking. Lol
    For some reason the Red Sox investigation hasn’t been completed yet. Wonder why?