Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

2020-21 Offseason/Roster Basketball Thread

I thought it might be good to have something else to discuss besides the virus and fill some of the basketball void in our lives by having an offseason thread to discuss the roster for next season.  Who stays, who leaves and what the team will look like next year.  I haven't really seen any rumors so far about any early departures or transfers or about any of the incoming recruits who may or may not make it to campus so if anyone hears anything let the rest of us in on the scoop!

As it stands right now it looks to me like we could have a pretty damn good roster next year.  We have Daniels, Bates, Funderburk, Beverly and Hellums returning.  We will also add three guys who were on the bench but unable to play this year in Seabron, Allen and Taylor.  The incoming freshman class consists of Hayes, Moore, Hall, Farrar and Dowuona.  That's 13 scholarship players and IF the freshmen can produce we would have our deepest team yet under Keatts.

I think we look pretty good at guard, especially if Hayes can be solid enough in his first year.  We'll be looking at Beverly, Seabron, Hayes, Moore and Allen at the two guard spots with the Daniels being able to handle the ball a little as well.  
We also look solid on the wings as well with Daniels, Hellums, Hall and Farrar.  To me the biggest question mark will be the return of Funderburk.  If he returns we will be in good shape with our bigs with Fundy and Bates plus Dowuona and maybe Hall missing it up some down there as well.

All in all this could be a team with some real quality depth, which we haven't seen in some time here and a pretty good mix of talent as well.  I'm hopeful that with more bodies that can actually play and not just take up space and fouls that we could really unleash some havoc next year.  The depth could allow Keatts to apply consistent defensive pressure and help out with foul trouble which will hopefully lead to more or the easy buckets we saw some in Year 1.  I still would like to see improvement in the half court game both offensively and defensively which to me would also show growth as a coach for KK.  Could be a really explosive team and a fun one to watch grow throughout the season with all the young talent.  It will be interesting to see what they look like on the floor because to me it is sort of a strange combination of older guys and younger guys without many players in between.  Anyway, lets hear your thoughts.  How do you like this lineup? Think they will all actually be here? And let the rest of us know any inside scoops or updates you hear on departures or additions.

Comments

• TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 2,330PFN Referee
    Nice first post, Picklepack!  Welcome to the forum.

Anyone know if we will have Bryce and Markell back after NCAA extended eligibility rules due to the virus?
  • WulfpackWulfpack Posts: 2,087
    Nice first post, Picklepack!  Welcome to the forum.

Anyone know if we will have Bryce and Markell back after NCAA extended eligibility rules due to the virus?
    They vote on this on March 30. Most think it will only be the spring athletes that get the extra year. 
  • PicklePackPicklePack Posts: 6
    Thanks TAT. I see a few typos in there now (smartphone keyboard). Been a long time reader since the SFN days but first time poster. As far as MJ and Bryce coming back I haven’t seen anything but I would be shocked if that happened.
    While it is generally expected that the NCAA will grant an extra year of eligibility to spring sport athletes and deny an extra year to winter sport athletes, the full Division I Council will officially vote on these issues on March 30th, according to a press release from the NCAA.

https://www.aseaofblue.com/2020/3/22/21189382/college-basketball-news-ncaa-vote-winter-spring-sport-eligibility
  • Vawolf82Vawolf82 Posts: 490PFN Referee
    If no one leaves early, it will be the first time in a really long time.
    ESPN’s way too early top 25 ranks ACC clubs as follows:

6. Duke
    8. UVa
    11. UNC
    22. FSU

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28936673/villanova-tops-college-basketball-way-too-early-top-25-2020-21
    Holes go from last in the conference to no. 11 in the nation. I know they have a stacked class coming in but good grief...
  • TexpackTexpack Posts: 2,269
    We didn’t make John Rothstein’s Top 45. 
    DJ stay or DJ go?  That will be enormous. 
    We can’t use the depth to just keep fouling at the same rate with more bodies. We have to cut down on fouls/possession. 
    I never assume that an incoming freshman can walk and chew gum at the same time. The ratio of star freshmen / bust freshmen at NC State over the last 25 years is about 0.000874. 

• 44rules44rules Posts: 410
    Yeah, even DT was a sophomore ... and Sid and Whitt didn't start their frosh years either.
  • TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 2,330PFN Referee
    Thanks for info, Wulf!
  • 89BABS89BABS Posts: 24
    The problem is scholarship limits.  How do you handle a team with 2 Seniors (with no remaining eligibility) and incoming athletes?  How can you have 15 students on scholarship for basketball?

It's easy to say "waive the limits for next year" unless you're a school running a tight budget - "hell no, that puts us at a disadvantage!  We can't afford 2 or 3 or 4 additional scholarships for winter sports on top of what you're allowing for spring sports (and we can't afford that either!)"

Toss in the strain of granting another year to spring athletes (baseball, for the purposes of scholarships) and you're looking at quite a chunk of change.

Sadly, I think it'll come down to that - "It's just not practical - so sad, bye now!"

• ryebreadryebread Posts: 1,807PFN Referee
    The real questions of the offseason for NC State are:
    - How many current roster players leave? It is hopefully just those exhausting eligibility but some in the know are saying 1-3 in addition. I have been thinking of one, have a bad feeling about a second due to all the smoke, and could take a wild guess at a third.
    - How many freshman show up? One was expected to potentially go pro.
    - Who do we hire to replace Siddle? It looks like a former Pitino assistant that worked with KK.  That was supposedly done, got leaked and then retracted.  They may still be working out the contract.

If these things break our way, that is a top 4-5 ACC team, competing for that precious double bye.  If they don’t the Pack is a bubble team.

It has gotten to the point in college basketball where I don’t even want to do a preseason projection until I see who is on the roster game one.  The last two seasons have seen attrition either right before that first game or immediately afterward.

UNC has 4 McDonald’s AA’s coming in (according to Bilas). This year was merely a speed bump. Watch Cole Anthony return. I will somehow find a new way to hate them even more.
  • pakfanistanpakfanistan Posts: 137
    With our luck recently you’d need to wait until at least game two to make any prognostications. 
    Texpack said:
    We didn’t make John Rothstein’s Top 45. 
    DJ stay or DJ go?  That will be enormous. 
    We can’t use the depth to just keep fouling at the same rate with more bodies. We have to cut down on fouls/possession. 
    I never assume that an incoming freshman can walk and chew gum at the same time. The ratio of star freshmen / bust freshmen at NC State over the last 25 years is about 0.000874. 

DJ is key.  He is the one I mention with lots of smoke.

We were much better at playing without fouling towards the end of the year.  That trend started changing about when we started using more zone.  I don’t think zone was the direct cause for all of it (though we clearly fouled less in the zone), but I think we were generally playing less aggressively.

The second UNC game and Duke beat down were outliers against the late season trends.  We had 25 fouls called against us the UNC game.  We had 26 COMBINED called against us in the WF and Pitt games. Is anyone surprised by that?
  • WolfWiz11WolfWiz11 Posts: 422
    DJ has been fantastic for us; I would hate to see him go. I hope he knows how much of a crowd favorite he is. He and Daniels were probably our two best and most consistent players this season and, if they both return, they are locked in as must-starts for us to be successful next season. 

That said, can you elaborate any on the "smoke" you alluded to?
  • TexpackTexpack Posts: 2,269
    DJ has already been out of HS for four years. I don’t know how he took the suspension. Is there any lingering ill will over that?  He also has grad transfer options where he could play for a national contender and improve is pro stock more than he can staying in Raleigh. It would make perfect sense for him to move on. I think he could help himself with another year in CBB but that might not be at State. 
  • Vawolf82Vawolf82 Posts: 490PFN Referee
    It has gotten to the point in college basketball where I don’t even want to do a preseason projection until I see who is on the roster game one. 

This!
  • 44rules44rules Posts: 410
    ryebread said:

UNC has 4 McDonald’s AA’s coming in (according to Bilas). This year was merely a speed bump. Watch Cole Anthony return. I will somehow find a new way to hate them even more.
    IMPOSSIBLE!!!
  • 4in124in12 Posts: 173
    ... missing it up some down there ...
    Freudian slip?

4in12 said:
    ... missing it up some down there ...
    Freudian slip?

Mixing *
    Yeah, from the outside looking in it seems Fundy would be the most likely bet to move on. It would be a huge luxury to have him back though, he could be looking at an All ACC type season and without him we will be really young in the post and probably offensively challenged.
  • 1984Met1984Met Posts: 307
    I would take Fundy one more year.
  • KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 3,607PFN Referee
    Now that he's found his fat, Hippo Fundy could be a monster next year.  I like our "two bigs" alignment, at least as an option.

Also, for the assistant coach vacancy?  Give me Original Recipe King Hippo (aka Beejay Anya)
    edited March 24
    I would absolutely love DJ another year.  I've loved his game for two years.  His hands, FT shooting and footwork are fantastic for someone his size, and he has a really high motor (best from a State big since Howell).

There's been smoke from before the season, during the season and now, from sources that generally fairly reliable.  That is unfortunate and makes me sad.

I wouldn't go as far as Tex to say a move would be better for DJ.  DJ's position in pro ball is that of a stretch 4.  Who is going to let him shoot more 3s or perimeter shots than NC State?  That's particularly true next year when Bates has help down low (i.e. a functional back up) which means we can go with the two big line up.

KK was a 4 around 1 guy at UNCW, but that was in part out of necessity.  I saw more two big line ups this year, and we played our best ball when we could keep the two bigs on the court together.  With more front court depth, I think we'll see 2 bigs primarily next year.  We have recruited to playing a two big line up, not to playing 4 around 1.
  • KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 3,607PFN Referee
    Keatts is definitely tweaking and experimenting with his lineups.  A flexible mind is usually a better mind.  Good for him.