Welcome to the Lunatic Fringe

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to help support PFN?

In lieu of ads you can help me to offset PFN operating costs by making any of your Amazon.com purchases through this link at no additional cost to you.

Diversions

I needed a diversion from the current virus news, etc. So, today I watched the 1986 Richmond 400 NASCAR race that was on Fox. 

A great finish with Kyle Petty winning his first race after taking the lead on the next to last lap.  Darrell Waltrip had just passed Dale Earnhardt to take the lead, but Dale Earnhardt spun out Darrell Waltrip causing quite a pile up.  Thought my brother-in-law would faint with excitement.  He was a Dale Earnhardt fan back in the day.  Both of us had forgotten about this race and he just knew that Dale Earnhardt would spin out Darrell Waltrip.

Great memories for two old time NASCAR fans.

Comments

• choppack1choppack1 Posts: 1,653
    That race was fun to watch. Man, those guys drove aggressively. Earnhardt in the Wrangler car!
  • 1984Met1984Met Posts: 529
    edited March 23
    Wish they would show some races from the '70s.  Fox and NASCAR could do a great job showing current fans some of the greats of the sport.

I would say the same if the other networks would show some great NCAA basketball games of the past like CBS did yesterday (Saturday).
  • TexpackTexpack Posts: 2,513
    Watched The Aviator. Cleaned out some gutters. We are going to be just fine. 
    We're doing Spring cleaning -- house and farm.  I'm still cracking hickory nuts and have a lot of black walnuts to do as well.  In addition to watching old sporting events!
  • KingHippo_fka_BJD95KingHippo_fka_BJD95 Posts: 3,664PFN Referee
    The Athletic does NC State over UCLA 1974:

https://theathletic.com/1685902/2020/03/23/this-day-in-madness-n-c-state-ends-uclas-astonishing-7-year-title-streak/?source=dailyemail

Historic moments abound in the annals of March 23 games, but how do you compete with when N.C. State defeated UCLA and snapped the Bruins’ streak of seven straight NCAA titles?

The year: 1974. The place: Greensboro, N.C. The Wolfpack avenged their lone regular-season loss to the Bruins with an 80-77 double-overtime victory in the Final Four and unseated John Wooden’s defending national championship team. In a time when there was neither a 3-point line nor a shot clock, the Wolfpack rallied from seven down in the second overtime to secure the win and advance to the national title game.

There, N.C. State beat Al McGuire and Marquette to claim its first NCAA championship. But the national semifinal showdown distinguished itself as one of the greatest tournament games of all time, and a disruption in a Bruins’ dynasty that returned to championship glory in 1975.

The Wolfpack’s climb started well before that title run. Norm Sloan’s 1972-73 team went 27-0 but was denied a postseason bid due to recruiting violations involving David Thompson.

“I think we felt we deserved to be in the tournament the year before,” point guard Monte Towe told ESPN.com in 2013. “We felt like the sanctions did not justify whatever we were found guilty of. It wasn’t much. … I think we had a chip on our shoulder about that to some degree.

“But we also felt like we were as good a team as there was in the country, and we wanted to win the national championship.”

The only game N.C. State lost in two seasons was against UCLA on a neutral court early in the 1973-74 campaign. The 6-foot-4 Thompson, known as “Skywalker” in deference to his vertical leap, headlined a team with Towe, Morris Rivers, Tom Burleson and Tim Stoddard. Still, the Bruins stomped the Wolfpack in St. Louis, 84-66.

Three-time player of the year Bill Walton starred on a Bruins team that also featured Keith (Jamaal) Wilkes, Tommy Curtis, Dave Meyers and Greg Lee. Walton picked up his fourth foul just 11 minutes into the regular-season game but Wilkes helped bridge the gap, defending Thompson well and scoring 27 points. It was all over for N.C. State after Walton returned and galvanized his team. UCLA snapped NC State’s 29-game winning streak.

“I’m disappointed we didn’t play better,” Sloan told The New York Times in 1973. “I think we can play better. But as to which man beat which man, it was just that their team beat our team.”

N.C. State had the last word in the Final Four but before that, it had to beat a Maryland team stacked with Len Elmore, Tom McMillen and John Lucas in the ACC tournament championship. The Wolfpack won in overtime, punched their ticket to the NCAA Tournament and dispatched Providence and Pittsburgh to ensure a rematch with the Bruins.

The Final Four meeting was as compelling as advertised. The teams were tied at halftime (35-all), after regulation (65-all) and after the first overtime (67-all). The game came down to the Wolfpack’s edge in the second overtime — 13-10 — and the power of Thompson’s 28 points and 10 boards throughout. Burleson added 20 points and 14 rebounds. The duo helped neutralize Walton’s 29 points and 18 rebounds.

The Bruins squandered an 11-point lead in regulation and the seven-point edge in the second overtime. N.C. State played unflinchingly down the stretch, extinguishing the Bruins’ 38-game winning streak.

Walton said his regret lingered long after the outcome.

“That’s the timelessness of pain and suffering; the agonizing, the reflection and the endless questioning of yourself,” Walton told NCAA.com in 2015. “When you’re right there and it’s there for you and the whole world is watching, and it’s recorded as history that can never be changed, that is a terribly heavy burden.”

That wasn’t the case for N.C. State, of course, which beat Marquette two days later for the national championship. The Wolfpack (30-1) beat the best to be the best and toppled a heavyweight to carve a place in college basketball history.

• TexpackTexpack Posts: 2,513
    1974 semifinal game is available on YouTube 
    So are the 1973 (partial game) and 1974 (whole game) ACC Finals against Maryland.  The 1974 game has the last part from the coach's film.
    the 1974 ACCT final is the one where the urban legend is that Billy Packer has the only complete, broadcast copy - right?  It WOULD be Peak Billy Packer.
  • RickRick Posts: 2,358PFN Referee
    I am building laundry room cabinets from scratch. I have never done that before. I think they are turning out well. 
    For anyone else subscribing to The Athletic (worth it, even during shutdown times), you will see me in the comments on NC State, Everton, and Denver Broncos posts as "Bradley D."
    Here is a youtube link to the 40 years of the ACC tournament with Terry Gannon.

• AdventurooAdventuroo Posts: 2,687
    Walking half hour a day and also doing morning stretches.  List of little things to do is never ending.  Worked for several days on MH last week.

Caught up on Hawaii 50 (6or more) and watched last two Blacklist and the one recently.

if you want some history and British humor and also some wonderful dialogue, we recently did all seasons of Downton Abbey as well as the movie.  That was great.  DW and I enjoy our joint TV time....

Watch the Money Honey for about an hour each morning as I do my stretches and such on the bed.  Rarely watch any “news” TV...  Friend noted that a certain NY Governor had 25% MORE air time on Fox than does the President.  

Do watch, from time to time, the updates from the WH.  Listen to the experts as well as the Cheerleader in Chief....
  • BasspackerBasspacker Posts: 215
    Its life as normal here....well as normal as work can be. There seems to be two fronts from this pandemic.  One is obviously the healthcare field.  Their resources are maxed out as is the men and women who tirelessly sacrifice their own health and well being to continue helping those sick. Two is the grocery store field.  It can be said the same as stated for those who are working in the healthcare field.  I say "as usual" but in reality its not, and that's coming from someone on the front line of the food chain.  A lot of dedicated people out there in the grocery food chain working to keep up supply with demand or trying. Its strange, seeing people lining up every morning as we prepare to open.  Its strange seeing people come into my work environment wearing face mask, gloves and literally asking if we have more.  Meat is in short supply, as is a lot of staples. And any cleaning or sanitizing products is almost impossible to get.  Hopefully it will get better as the chain catches up but until then....long hours.  Don't get me wrong, not intended to downplay or discriminate anyone...its just some crazy times now.  You have those who wanna work but can't.  There is those who need to work but can't.  And you have those who have to work more to help others in need.  
  • 44rules44rules Posts: 435
    Bass, my first job was stocking groceries. Hats off and God bless you and others in that field. I don't want to go back. But if my company folds (we have a year or so for this to turn around), I might be asking for a job!
    edited March 24
    OK....Diversion.   PLANNING....Suggest folks read this..... 

Long story - short version.  I had my alarm upgraded.  It went from Land to Cell monitoring.  Usual glitches as in my super exotic indoor garage door (hard wired) button panel had a Motion.  The bleed through of the multiplexing from that sensor drove the new alarm box crazy.  FIXED THAT.

Next up....there was a rash of failures on my perimeter alarms.  They replaced 2....one went out this morning.  I actually got 2 spares from the tech and I can do it myself with him walking through...or I can install (taped down) and he can activate remotely...all I have to do is open the window when he tells me.

DW....God BLESS HER.  The failures were at the far end of the house.  BINGO.  We need to replace the batteries.  The system monitors each battery voltage.  However, there are times when the batteries are weak....not to the point of being dead....but will not have a strong signal.  OTHER items in the house with UnGodly amounts of RFI Noise will gang up.  I am keenly aware of this as I had a similar issue in my MH with an add-on TPMS.  Me and the factory ran all sorts of studies.  BINGO....they sent me new sensors to try out.  GREAT.  They then pulled apart the old ones and did some very exotic load testing in the lab....compared to new ones.  I was RIGHT on the border.

SO....point of all this......Do some PREVENTATIVE Maintenance.....  

We MISSED the usual promos for Changing Your Smoke Detector batteries.

NOW....if you have your OWN Smoke detectors....look at the Manufacturing Date.  10 YEARS.....replace.  Carbon Monoxide (TYPICALLY) is less as in 7 - 10.  SOME are better....so that is NOT a hard and fast rule.  Look up the model on the manufacturers site.  The detector MAY have a Replace BY.

BUT....you have a COMPLETE  Home system and the Folks at ADT and CSI and all the hyped companies fix things.  GUESS WHAT, BRETHERN.....

They have NO record of the replacement dates on your detectors.  I have alerted my extended family and friends to this.  75% of the time, they got the runaround.  When they PERSISTED....BINGO....MOST were out of date.  Can't argue with the Replace BY.

NEXT on my TO-DO list.....I have a UPS on my U-Verse Router as well as a Battery in the box.  GOOD.  BUT, NOW, I got one of the GEE WHIZ (for me) NEW Cell alarms.  I ordered a UPS for it today.  That will probably give me 10X the life of what the ittybitty battery is.  I was also able to punch a hole in the wall (used grommets) and have run my Remote Router to that UPS.  When we get a power blip....the Main router rides through....but the really ROBUST Netgear will sometimes get into a funk.  That blip did not reset it, but messed up the handshake.   Only fix.....REBOOT.  By powering the Netgear and the Alarm off the UPS....I have both backup and surge. 

NOTE....TAT....you should be making money from Amazon.  I am getting you credit for all my purchases.....Hope this helps

Personally.....that gives per some personal satisfaction....as well as accomplishment.  I had been wrestling with this for sometime...

Whatever you can do to keep your brain active and also some "doing something"....the better....

I also downloaded and consolidated ALL our 2019 photos and DW will update her files (She is great) and THEN update our Den Picture frame SD card....

Whatever it takes....stay active and stay productive....
    Thanks Roo. That's a lot of things done so far!

Part of my photo to do list is to scan and sort through photos from 1960 through 2000.  That will take a while.
    UPDATE.....THINGS TO DO....

JoAnn's the fabric shop, is cutting (or has volunteers) that will supply your (via the proverbial 10 Ft pole walked to your car, mask supplies to be sewn. 

Don't know if they include the thread or no.  SO, if you are a seamstress or know one....then that is a way to be diverted....as well as help out.

I am cross posting this to the "how to help" thread as well.

• More of a down-the-road diversion but something to look forward to...I'm not sure it's advertised yet, but the ACC Network is going to release a multi-episode documentary on the ACC basketball tournament, and it will be a good one. First episode will either end with Case's death or episode two will start with the end of his tenure in 1965. I don't know release date yet...the Corona virus has caused some delay already
  • TheAliasTrollTheAliasTroll Posts: 2,664PFN Referee

NOTE....TAT....you should be making money from Amazon.  I am getting you credit for all my purchases.....Hope this helps

Appreciate that!  Commission will be going directly into Wake Med Covid19 fund.

I really enjoyed "Sunderland Til I Die" on Netflix, and season 2 drops 1 April.
  • Thru first 3 episodes of Zero-Zero-Zero on Prime. Mafia meets Cartel meets Bayou smugglers
  • turkeydanceturkeydance Posts: 121
    took some neighbors to the gun range last week.
    it is now closed to guests. members only.
    Amazon Prime has a TV series.   America’s Treasures.  We have started Season 1.  We have visited about 40 NP and maybe 20 Monuments .   

Really interesting.   No chase scenes or bikini babes.  Late at night it sometimes works as Melatonin 

But many memories as we did some by ourselves, some with our kids and then GK’s

I watched the movie version of WW-II epic "Victory at Sea" this evening (1 hour and 38 minutes).  Couldn't find it on Youtube, but did find all 26 episodes of the TV series.  Each is about 26 to 27 minutes long.  Here is a link:

• Vawolf82Vawolf82 Posts: 670PFN Referee
    If you like detective stories, try "Bosch" on Amazon Prime.